Virgin Trains Stripped Of Its Franchise This Weekend.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by trev123, Dec 6, 2019.

1. trev123

trev123 Active Member

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Virgin Trains was not Stripped of it's Franchise.
    It's Franchise had an end date and it was not allowed to re-bid on any railway franchise because it wanted to use the Pension Pot.
    To say it has been stripped of the franchise is just Tabloid Journalism where they don't let the facts get in the way of a story.

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  3. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Anyway does it really matter?

4. Hugh Janus

Hugh Janus Member

And the story says, if you read it:
    From this weekend, Virgin Trains is deleted from the timetables. Sir Richard Branson’s company has been stripped of its franchise in a row with the Department for Transport (DfT) over pension provisions.
    Seems a reasonable assessment to me.
    Bring on the Italians . . . hopefully they will use a cleaning fluid that doesn't smell as if it has just come out of the bottom of the carriages.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I Know What The Story says - I'm saying it is Wrong.
    From your statement you don't have any knowledge of how the Real Railway operates.

The UK Passenger Railway is set up as a Franchise for different areas - apart from Open Access Services.
    Companies like Arriva, First Group, Abellio and Virgin Trains bid to operate a Franchise
    The Franchise runs for a period set by the Deportment for Transport
    The winning bidder for a Franchise will operate it from a start date
    Trains are owned by Leasing Companies and Operated by the Franchise
    The WCML was a Franchise that was operated by Virgin Trains
    Franchises change every 10 years or so unless the DfT cancels the Franchise or the Franchise is handed back by the Operator
    Virgin Trains also operated the East Coast Franchise but due to a number of reasons it was "Handed Back"
    When the Franchise was put up again for Tender a number of companies including Virgin bid to operate it.
    The DfT though Virgin had not complied with the Bidding Process because of the use of Pension Funds
    Therefore the DfT told Virgin it would not be allowed to bid for WCML

If Virgin had been "stripped of its franchise" the DfT would not have waited a Eight months to do so.
    The Announcement that Virgin would not get the Franchise was made in April 2019
    Virgin had an End Date for it's Franchise and operated trains until that date - which is Today 07 December 2019
    No different than any other Rail Operator coming to the end of it's Franchise.

Back to your last bit
    From Tomorrow, 8th December 2019, First & FS Italia will operate the WCML service
    It will have the same staff
    It will have the same stations
    It will have the same trains

Not sure how you think something will have changed apart from a paint job

Peter

6. Hugh Janus

Hugh Janus Member

And you have no justification in condemning people who have spent their entire working career in the industry as having no knowledge. The Virgin Trains' franchise has not been renewed for a very good reason. They have lost it, some might use the word "stripped". It really doesn't make a lot of difference to the end result.

You haven't said whether the new company will be using a different cleaning fluid . . .

• Like Like x 1
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Somebody who has "spent their entire working career in the industry" would not normally agree with the press who are notorious for not telling the full facts and making things up for a better story

The use of "their entire working career n the industry" is amusing as I spoke to a chap who had also done the same
    I asked him how long he had been on the railway and he said "two years - straight out of school" :)
    And I also spent my entire working career in the industry which was 44 years as I retired at 60.

Peter

8. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

"I Know What The Story says - I'm saying it is Wrong.
    From your statement you don't have any knowledge of how the Real Railway operates."

This gives us ex-railwaymen a bad name Peter. Perhaps you don't realise how utterly patronising you're being, perhaps you do and you enjoy picking holes in other people's opinions and comments.
    There's a right way of engaging people in their interests and passing on wisdom and there's a wrong way. Yours got a downvote, there's no place here for bullying of any kind.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In post #2 I stated the facts correcting the information in the link
    In post #4 Huge Janus told me I was wrong
    Why would a Railwayman, Huge Janus, believe what is written in the press in a way that makes things look bad instead of finding out the truth?

When Arriva took over from Abellio in running the Northern Rail franchise there were no reports of "Abellio being stripped of it's franchise"

I did not realise stating the facts about what happened was bulling
    And you have made up your mind so no point in going any further

Peter

10. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Peter, you want to learn to post your comments in a friendly way, not in a dictatorial fashion. They come across like I worked for the railways and know everything about them. I totally agree with Wivenswold comments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. coolkidgamer500

coolkidgamer500 Member

Is this about Florida’s BrightLine changing names or some other thing?

12. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

This was about the UK's West Coast Mainline, formerly Virgin, now Avanti.

13. coolkidgamer500

coolkidgamer500 Member