Single Rolling-stock Versions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by doc_woods, Dec 7, 2019.

1. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

One of the frustrations with TS20xx is that users ended up with multiple independent versions of the same stock. However, these weren't generally interchangeable despite being identical. For example, at one point I made a scenario using the F40PH from Solider Summit. However, that wasn't usable for anyone who'd bought the separate F40PH add-on, despite being exactly the same.

This feature request is posted in anticipation of the... ahem... imminent release of the editor, which will (may?) expose the same issue in TSW.

I think DTG were probably aware that is a bit of an unfixable legacy mess in TS20xx, and I'm sure I remember a comment on some stream at some point that they were aiming to avoid it. However, at present it looks like there'd be the same problem: I know the CSX GP38-2 on CSX:HH and North East Corridor were out of sync at least at one point. It sounds like the Class 66 on GWE and the new Brighton route will be different (with some features back-pointed). I'm sure there's other examples...

So this is a gentle reminder/request not to end up with the same mess.

2. elyonpc

elyonpc Member

I agree with your idea, and would personally love to see this. The issue is that the route and its locomotives are packaged into a single .pak file. This means that in order to run the Class 66 on Brighton, you would be required to own GWE. DTG is trying to make this game console compatible, which means they need each DLC to operate without prerequisites.

3. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

Yes I agree, you'd want to avoid this (on both console and PC). I'm sure it would be possible to detach the loco from the route into its own .pak and then bundle both GWE and Brighton with the loco (or some other implementation... I'm not about to demand it's done in only one way).