Train Slows Down (downhill)

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by kaikizuka, Dec 7, 2019.

1. kaikizuka

kaikizuka New Member

I found out smth very weird. i was driving from cumberland to Rockwood Junction (the snow scenario) , im after the big climb to Sand Patch and then therre is probably a constand decline (downhill) from Sailsbury Junction for a long time. so i went into idle and my train slowed down like i was giving it break, and no break was on. no dynamic no auto no other ones. first i thought the cars werent over the hill but it kept that way for the whole ride. i even had to accelerate to 6-8 to keep going downhill. smths wrong here i assume. or am i missing smth

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have never encountered that myself, one thing that would spring to mind is did you check and see if the independent brake was fully released.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kaikizuka

kaikizuka New Member

Yup it was. was super strange. also the runs before back and forth vrom cumberland to sand patch was okay. the run back wa soly on dynamic break no throttle, hm.. just thought id mention it ^^ since i f..kt up anyways and went to toilet right at the stoping point withouth knowing i have to doi this again one day ort another anyways xD since ive overshot my target with 60mph because i had to full throttle downhill for some weird reason xD

• Like Like x 1
  4. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I had the same problem the last few times I've played, I couldn't get it to stop doing that. All the brakes were released, and I ended up just running in throttle 3-4.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Handbrakes perhaps?

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember earlier explanations of this phenomenon, so correct me rather than simply x-ing this post, please.

Track slope is measured at the middle of a train, so the engine may be descending while the middle is still ascending or vice-versa. The longer the train, the more this effects its speed. Thus, balancing throttle and brakes is not as straightforward as one might think.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I think you have accidentally pressed the handbrake key.
    I have done it and when the train don't roll so good
    Se this manual page 15-16

8. kaikizuka

kaikizuka New Member

Ah okay may be. i dont know the key for handbrake but there is always the possibility that i prtessed it on accident. Thank you ^^

And i am pretty pretty sure that all my train was on the slope. looked at the map a coupple of times and i decendet over 5 mins allready. but maybe the hdandbrake key. i replay it and see how i do ^^

9. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Do you have any documentation of this? I was always under the impression that the grade % was shown from the front (engine).

10. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

When I came across the problem all the brakes were released, and the whole train was on a downhill
    grade of at least .5%