Tsw: The Coastway Is Coming!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 5, 2019.

1. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

I wonder how long it will be until people start demanding an update for droppings?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

Personally speaking I have no issue with duplicate train numbers, i've driven hundreds of HST's with "00000".

I think most of us would prioritize new features over realism. If reusing numbers means we get 6 car 166's I don't think anyone can argue about that.

Then again it is the internet. :)

• Like Like x 6
  3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I would assign longer numbers to the vehicles so 1660011, 1660012 etc but with only the first 6 digits actually being used on the train. So to the simulator 1660011 and 1660012 are different vehicles, but to the player they would both display as 166001. That would allow extra services and all trains would still have real numbers, with it being unlikely that anyone would come across duplicates.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Matt's post I understand as that this is exactly what they want to avoid. Having duplicates in the game doesn't appear to cause any issues as it is, other than a small dent in realism aspects. It certainly doesn't on PIC:
    917, 912 San Francisco 02.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Digital Draftsman

They may already have it set up as I described then. Each vehicle will need a unique ID regardless, so it may be that the image there shows 917001 and 917002 for example.

The best option would probably be to create a Class 165 DLC for GWE then! I always wondered why they went for the Class 166 rather than the 165 in GWE, as there are a lot more 165s than 166s, plus there are two and three car variations. Assuming they work out how to do route extensions, a good option would be a couple of the Thames Branchlines and Reading to Oxford along with the Class 165 for GWE. It's a shame it doesn't seem like there's much enthusiasm to update and expand previous DLCs.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

As long as they drop on those pesky passengers at the platforms :)

• Like Like x 7
  7. thearkerportian

That just reminded me of some test runs they did in Germany regarding ETCS, "What would happen if two engines with the same number (they're supposed to be unique EU-wide) enter one ETCS computer's control area?"

Spoiler: It didn't work. Computer wasn't happy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

and counting when it’s released where can we find the instruction manual for dlc?

9. NekoNina

NekoNina Well-Known Member

I'd say the picture is heavily edited. Idon't think we'll be seeing any of those things you've mentioned in the game. DTG would have been a lot louder if these features were actually coming to TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Digital Draftsman

They are usually programmed quite robustly, but it's always worth testing in real world scenarios to make sure!

Something a lot of people don't know is that all current UK rollingstock, even if it doesn't physically carry it, has a European Vehicle Number, even HSTs or Class 377s which would never travel to the continent have them. I only discovered this when I was required to complete an audit for the Train Operating Company I was working for at the time; Although not my department, we would move people to different departments to conduct internal audits. I was tasked with crossing checking various vehicle number databases and making sure that the procedures followed were robust enough to ensure continuity across them. The main reason I volunteered to become a certified ISO 9001 auditor was because I was nosey and I wanted to have a look around other departments in the TOC!

• Like Like x 2
  11. rogerayres

rogerayres New Member

The class 66 stone train from newhaven does not go to Brighton it goes through Lewis Plumpton to Wivelsfield and out onto the Brighton main line back to Acton.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Digital Draftsman

I agree. It's also a standard thing DTG do, even on the Steam store front, which could be argued is a bit misleading. For example, on LIRR, those headlight flares are Photoshop:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

On the Steam page.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thearkerportian

Well they are - as of now - rail vehicles within the EU, so they should have these numbers. I can't deny I've been wondering how it would look like to have them written on them. About like this perhaps?
    GWR UIC.PNG

15. sophieclarke1983

Does this also apply to console version?

16. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

This is very much off-topic, but the RSSB have issued guidance regarding the numbers. All new vehicles (as of 1 Jan 2018) have to display their EVN in full, but existing ones are exempt unless they are due to be used outside GB.

And FYI, the correct Vehicle Keeper Mark would be GB-FGW. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

More of a runaround shunt type service mode then maybe.
    Still, If it starts ends at Newhaven, it can resume at Acton.

18. steadfast

steadfast Member

TrainSim-Matt
    Hi Matt,
    Does this mean you guys have now added the clean air compartment at the number one end of the 66 to allow the E70 brake isolation valve to be turned?
    This is the only way to isolate the brake control on a real 66.
    Goods pass changeover much also be done on the clean air compartment on early locos, it's only later numbers (66150 upwards I want to say) that it's through the EM2000.
    And before anyone blows me down as a DTG hater and chatting rubbish, I work with the real things...
    Jo

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  19. Anthony Pecoraro

Yes

20. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Damn that would've actually worked, I mean the only real difference game-wise would be the hopper windows surely? :D

• Like Like x 2
  21. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I think the route looks nice but it's short and in terms of variety of rolling stock (even ignoring the re-used 66) it's simply not comparable to GWE, NTP or TVL. On those counts, it simply doesn't deserve the price tag in my opinion and I won't be buying it at full price as a consequence. Others have different opinions and that's fine.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Digital Draftsman

Here are a couple of graphs which illustrate the distribution of traction, rollingstock, miles and stations across the four £24.99 UK routes:

upload_2019-12-9_10-44-41.png

upload_2019-12-9_10-44-51.png

I multiplied the traction and rolling stock by 10 for clarity, the ratios remain the same. You can see that the number of stations per route has remained fairly stable, however everything else is on a downward trend. The top graph really shows how GWE and NTP were ahead of the last two UK route DLCs for the traction, rolling stock and route miles included.

The new SCW route looks really nice and I'm sure it'll be entertaining to those who purchase it, but speaking relatively, it definitely doesn't have the same value for money GWE and NTP did.

• Like Like x 6
  23. sophieclarke1983

What route will the freight services take in the new upcoming Brighton route?

24. thearkerportian

Most likely only Lewes to Seaford and back.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

The Seaford Branch I think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I would expect the seaford line but that doesnt bother me because I must be the only person who prefers passenger over freight

• Like Like x 5
  27. thearkerportian

You aren't :)

• Like Like x 4
  28. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Had it gone to Hastings/Ore and included a 313 it would have been up there and fully deserving of the asking price....in my opinion. Butt-hurt downvoters be damned!

• Like Like x 2
  29. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I would historically have agreed with you Jez but for the first time Ive actually pre purchased a route. I think the variety and length of the route might work and be slightly different from the end to end operations that we have become used to. Im hopeful also that this, the first third rail offering in TSW, will be a good addition to branch away from the diesel only UK offerings thus far. If its a step forwards I shall be putting that view forwards. We shall see in the next few days..

• Like Like x 3
  30. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

That's fair enough. I can see the appeal of the route but ultimately it's two types of traction when the usual is three. I think you can get away with shorter routes with slow moving freight operations but passenger routes (as this essentially is) probably needs a longer run...in my opinion of course.

• Like Like x 2
  31. thearkerportian

The DLC has me torn once again. Way too short again, but other than that, many things I've been hoping and waiting for a long time. So yeah, pre-purchased as well, nothing that I usually do, so I get a discount at least. 30 bucks is not that large a sum for me, but still nothing I'd spend happily on this. Had it gone all the way to Hastings or Ore I'd probably have bought it the minute the discount expired just to make sure DTG gets the full money for this masterpiece... not like this though.

The way it is now, I see the 377 as the core of the DLC, which would (presumably) have cost 14€ on its own. The route is rather a gimmick, a goodie so you have somewhere to drive the new train. What else are you gonna do? Substitute it into LIRR?

• Like Like x 1
  32. sophieclarke1983

Many thanks I noticed in all the promo things out so far that’s one thing that’s not really been covered in way that the passenger services have

33. thearkerportian

Yes. Cargo will be a very, very minor aspect of this DLC. Just not many freight trains in that area.

34. sophieclarke1983

Nope your wrong there lol I prefer passenger services lol

• Like Like x 5
  35. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I prefer passenger too but like a freight run occasionally. It is good to see AI freight though. Looking forward to Thursday very much.

• Like Like x 3
  36. sophieclarke1983

Me 2 also looking forward wed night the big unveiling of route

• Like Like x 2
  37. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im equally looking forward to further details on the Winter update.

• Like Like x 3
  38. theorganist

Me too, especially the cab sway.

• Like Like x 5
  39. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Not sure i will watch the stream, just because i like to find out services/training/scenerios myself.
    Ill likely watch a rerun on friday

• Like Like x 2
  40. sophieclarke1983

Yea looks good though from what I’ve seen of so far released shots the signalling in the line for Eastbourne is the dorman Unipart led type signals

• Like Like x 1
  41. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when the Winter update will release? I’m assuming after Xmas and New Year, maybe mid-January but a date to look forward to would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
  42. NekoNina

NekoNina Well-Known Member

This Thursday, along with ECW :)

• Like Like x 5
  43. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Hopefully one day before ECW. So that ECW can run smoothly.

• Like Like x 1
  44. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Oh, that’s good to know. I assumed the Winter Update was to come at a later date.

45. Anthony Pecoraro

Second third rail route. Long Island Rail Road was also third rail.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Of course. My mistake and apologies to our American friends.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Digital Draftsman

I noticed there's no response from DTG. If they have modelled the brake frame that would be quite something. If they have bodged the E70 isolation valve to be an EM2000 function, that'll be a disappointing cop-out, especially as DTG are expecting people to purchase the Class 66 again to be able to have one with a functioning Air Flow gauge on GWE.

48. Anthony Pecoraro

What was wrong with the airflow gauge anyway?

49. Digital Draftsman

We'll assume there are no air leaks on the train and the brake pipe is perfectly sealed as I don't think air leaks are modelled in TSW.

The two relevant gauges are:
    • The air flow meter - measures the rate of air going in/out of the brake pipe.
    • The brake pipe control gauge - measures the pressure in the brake pipe at the front of the train.
    When you release the brakes the brake pipe pressure increases at the front of the train before the back end. Once the brake pipe control gauge shows 5 bar, this means the front of the train is 5 bar, however the back of the train will take a while to catch up, this is where the air flow meter comes in. Air will still be flowing into the brake pipe so long as the back of the train remains below 5 bar. This means the air flow meter should show air flow for a while after the brake pipe control gauge shows 5 bar, but in TSW it instantly drops to a flow of 0 as the brake pipe control gauge gets to 5 bar. It's important that this gauge works as it's the only means of knowing when the brakes at the rear of the train have released, as when they have the flow rate will drop to zero.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  50. theorganist

Funny I thought the class 66 was part of the Coastway route I didn't realise I was purchasing it as a separate add-on!