Bari-matera Railway , South Italy

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mr.aln663, Nov 28, 2019.

1. mr.aln663

mr.aln663 Member

The Bari Matera railway is a 950 mm narrow gauge railway in southern Italy. Opened in 1915, it extends for 75 km between Puglia and Basilicata. It starts from the Bari station where the interchange with the State Railways is, here there is also the depot and the workshops. Later the railway continues its journey in the outskirts of Bari and in the neighboring cities up to Altamura, where it branches off from the railway to Potenza. Finally the railway passes into the city of stones, Matera. Here there are various urban stations. The railway has a single track (Even if the double track is being completed along the entire line) and for most of the route it runs alongside the Bari-Gioia del Colle-Taranto railway.
    On the line DMU convoy service (As the line is not electrified).
    The runs on the line are performed according to these reports:
    - Bari-Matera
    - Bari-Altamura
    - Bari-Toritto
    - Matera-Altamura
    Often the Matera-Bari runs drop a DMU to Altamura that will continue its run towards Potenza.

Map of line

[​IMG]

Modern DMUs with 2 or 3 cases and old DMUs with one or 2 cases are used on the railway.

Stadler ST or SB
    Built since 2009, they are the most modern DMUs on the railway, they can have two or three cases.
    [​IMG]

Fiat M4.350
    Built from 2000 onwards. They are self-propelled with the gears built by FIAT, they have two cases and reach 120 km / h
    [​IMG]

Fiat M4.300
    Built between 1980 and 1990 they are the oldest DMUs in service. They are Gear-operated Cars built by Fiat and reach 120 Km / h
    [​IMG]

*I apologize for any grammatical errors but I am not native English speakers, for the drafting of the proposal I helped myself with Google Translate

• Like Like x 4
  2. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Excellent proposal! The route really captures the southern Italian grasslands.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. mr.aln663

mr.aln663 Member

it is one of the most beautiful lines in southern Italy, I hope to see it on TSW

• Like Like x 1