Tsw: Explore The Coastway!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 12, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Take a trip to Southern England and discover the thrill and challenge of complex rail operations with Train Sim World: East Coastway which is available now!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 11
  2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Very good looking route, as well as train!

However: The first (and so far only) service I tried was the 10:36 Eastford to Brighton. Worked flawless all along the way, until I got stopped by a red signal on the viaduct that wouldn't turn green. With no train anywhere near, according to the map. Contacting the signaller didn't help either.

20191212210925_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  3. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Brilliant route, looks stunning

• Like Like x 4
  4. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The route is nicely modelled and there's some nice attention to detail, I especially like the electrical substations complete with humming sound. Plenty of SR concrete structures around, including the ubiquitous concrete lineside hut. The Ferry at Newhaven Marine is a nice landmark too. So in terms of scenery it's very nice.

Railway simulation-wise there are some pretty basic errors though; For example why is the Class 66 coupled to the Mk2 Coaches using the Buckeye? They have different types of Buckeye, with a Class 66 having the AAR type which is considerably bigger than the BR Buckeye used on coaching stock. The Class 66 has screw link couplings too, which is what should have been used. Also the Clean Air Compartment hasn't been modelled on the Class 66, with DTG cheating and adding the brake cut-out valve as a function to the cab computer, which is a bit lazy. If you're recycling rolling stock it would be nice to go to a little more effort and do things properly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

do we have the timetable in PDF?

6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Im not a rivet counter or real train driver so its all about the immersion for me and all I can say is this route has taken TSW some big steps forward as far as Im concerned. It looks really good, captures the feel of the area well (I used to use Brighton station a lot) and the head sway really opens up the immersion window. Little things like workmen standing beside the track in the introduction scenario are great, and the traffic in the town as you go over the viaduct really start to make the environment feel more lived in.
    Im very glad I purchased this route and I think its going to become my new favorite!
    Credit where its due. Come the weekend you guys and girls at DTG can sit back and know that your work is appreciated :) A great springboard to take the brand, company and your customers into 2020.
    P.S. If you were to extend down to Aldrington Halt going west that's where my Grandparents used to live and where my love affair with trains started as I used to visit from overseas 40 odd years ago.. That would be a real trip down nostalgia lane..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  7. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Really nice route to drive, but the "too-short-feeling" is there anyway, It's like: What? Last station? Already? I think it should be priced a bit lower than other routes, but I'm happy buying with 10% preorder discount.

• Like Like x 5
  8. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Have only just started driving, but I noticed a distinct lack of flange squeal on the 377 when going over turns and track switches. Even at low speeds we should be hearing some flange squealing. Makes me think those sounds are bugged since TSW is capable of playing these sounds in previous DLCs at low speeds like 422 on RRO. Only thing I hear when going over curves and switches are traction motors and run sounds.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ian1991

only issue is 2/3 of platforms are too short for the train

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

I was quite hyped for this route initially, seemed that freight services would have played a nice role in the route along with passengers, which is not the case, however. 1 standard scenario (with a bit of lore, but still go from point A to B, nothing freight-related), and one timetable back and forth timetable scenario (repeated 4 times, but still) with a loading of aggregate task... but a 30 MINUTES WAIT between the two parts. Also, Class 66 DSD and AWS sounds are bugged from time to time, very frustrating (old GWE version bug, welcome back).

Passenger part of DLC seems ok, few scenarios and ~220 timetable services. Still have to go deep into it to judge.

The route is very short, disappointing. Models, details, sounds pretty good on average.

I'll give a 6/7 out of 10 for the moment. Really cannot understand all other overwhelming positive reviews out there on steam, which are not based on facts, evidently.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Each to their own but I am impressed, as i've switched to an AMD GPU i've had to tweak the Screen Percentage and overall Anti-Aliasing but not had to reduce any settings for this addon. DTG hats off to you, there's seagulls flying at Newhaven (absolute shocker) there's life in the sim.

Brighton is spot on, I can see why the pillars of the station are a 2D image rather than 3D just because of the detail in it.Nice to see other 377s destinations going to London Victoria etc, just nice to see familiar territory in TSW, definitely made my month with this and lots more to be had, will definitely take a walk on the route over the christmas period (couldn't bloody come sooner, 5 more working days!)

I only played the French Connection scenario so far, so will see what Services are saying, but Newhaven Marine; London Road, Lewes and Brighton so far. Brill. Sheer Brilll and the PIS screen / Mitrac system to use.

YEAP I hope those other destinations in the 377 become apparent one day.

• Like Like x 9
  12. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

loving the route, its what I needed to really care/play TSW again.

My main and really only complaint so far is the class 66 - little seems to have actually improved, when I used the horn for the first time I was sadden to see that had not been updated to current standards and it does feel pretty non-updated since GWE.

aside from that Im loving the route and im glad some progress has been made in the scenery department. keep it up.

• Like Like x 11
  13. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I have to say I am loving the route have found my favourite service running Brighton - Seaford and back.
    Also ran a couple of Eastbourne - Brighton services plus 3/5 scenarios. I love the selective door opening on the 8 car units much better than having all doors open. Been playing since it dropped.

• Like Like x 6
  14. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Yep, apparently that glitch isn't fixed yet .

15. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I was walking the route and left Lewes headed for Seaford and ran into a invisible wall just outside of Lewes could not get around it at all.

16. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Short route but like RRO there’s a lot to do I didn’t regret buying it. Can somebody give us a link for the manuals for the class 377 and the route please ?

17. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

• Like Like x 1
  18. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’ve not had the “too short” feeling. At the moment I’m more than happy to drive these short shuttles between Lewes and Brighton with the longer drives in between.

I ended up getting a 10% discount when ordering on PSN because Sony sent me a code last week, knowing this was coming out I held off using it until now. Still at £24.99, I think it’s worth the money. I see someone saying positive reviews aren’t based of facts. The fact is, if someone is happy to give the game a good review, they’ve enjoyed what they’ve got from it and that’s a good thing.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I haven’t played much of this yet, but I like it so far!

• Like Like x 4
  20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

21. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

Excellent addition to TSW, very detailed route, Class 377/4 is lovely, the collection of rolling stock is growing which will give more potential when the editor arrives, well done to the team at DTG

• Like Like x 6
  22. Ian1991

how you select which doors?

• Like Like x 1
  23. thearkerportian

Right side of the panel for right side door, left side of the panel for left side doors ;)

24. Digital Draftsman

I don't believe you can. The SDO on the real thing is done through the MITRAC and DTG haven't featured it for whatever reason. So you'd select which doors you wanted to open on the computer screen and then press the SDO release button. There's also an automated system which uses either beacons in the station or GPS to open doors based on location.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Ian1991

thought so, thats why i quoted the post above as someone said you could

• Like Like x 1
  26. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Class_377_Doors.png

• Helpful Helpful x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Digital Draftsman

Good to know! Shame they didn't put this infomation in the manual!

Talking of the manual; I noticed in the manual on the doors section they mention setting the DRA to remind you the doors are open. This is not what the DRA is for.. The train has a traction interlock system, so it is not possible to release the brake or take power whilst the doors are open, this is protection against forgetting the doors are open and moving the train. The DRA is for use in specific circumstances outlined in the RSSB rulebook.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Today I realized that this route is just better for walking than driving, your view angle as a driver of 377 is very limited, but when I took a walk on the Seaford branch there was a lot interesting things to see that you can't spot while driving. And the sounds - barking dogs, seagulls, planes, ships. I got kind of vacation feeling right now around Christmas :D I'm ipressed with all work DTG made with this DLC, even if I would like it to be a little longer.

• Like Like x 8
  29. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I too got the feeling I was at the seaside with the sounds being so immersive. I am now afraid to goto seaford what with all those dogs barking!!

• Like Like x 5
  30. Agreed 100%, this is a fantastic addition to the game, I love it, the sound quality/physics upgrade is brilliant as well!

I would also like to mirror what you said about DTG's work being appreciated, I for one appreciate their work a lot haha.

But yes, love this DLC, well done DTG.

• Like Like x 8
  31. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I’ve just been soo god awful tired with work and now the weekend is here, away again, so I am really looking forward to taking it all in when I am wide awake. But so far it looks amazing; the destination on the 377 is nice but not the real destination

I think this needs an update now that they’ve programmed the scrolling motion; it just needs to look authentic, its an orange / yellow not yellow and black.

The sounds are spot on, spot on!

The length of the route, is great; could be longer but I wonder if Xbox and PS4 are the limitations on length (I do seriously think this is the case) as PS4 is for short games.

Anyhow, the 377 overall is great, I just wish while in timetable mode it would stick there for immersion; as the menu coming up to give an option to continue free roam; is more console style gameplay than simulator. For heavens sake, it ruins immersion, that’s my only gripe is focus on simulation immersion rather than action points while in service mode.

Great overall, just need days to myself!

• Like Like x 2
  32. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Anyone found the Passenger light to activate?

33. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree about the menu at the end of the sevice be nice if you could toggle an option to not display until you have decided to end your session. That way you could chain lots of services together then get one screen with all the breakdowns scrollable at the end.

• Like Like x 6
  34. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Its at the back of the driver with all the other switches but is not selectable.

• Like Like x 1
  35. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Shame because you can’t start cold and dark, i think when an editor comes you’ll see lots of mods, they’re already modding without one so with one, cha.

36. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Just like it used to be, the breakdown is nice but, the cab sway is good and the 377 is actually that stable on the rails compared to the CIG slam door units, although, the Class 421s were comfortable.

I could talk for ages about this route as it really is local, and the walk down the hill from Brighton is something they should add lol

• Like Like x 1
  37. thearkerportian

Could it be you're messing with the wrong guy, Dovetail? Placing a signal exactly 666 meters from the destination, and then wondering why it won't let you pass? :P

20191214161643_1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  38. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I think this route is a challenge which is nice as NTP is very slow, It’s nice to have 90mph, 70 and 60 achievable due to a modern unit.

Brighton Station though is majestical

• Like Like x 2
  39. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Anyone getting some odd AWS triggering? I tried the I believe 2G22 service (one of the top journey ones) and seemed to be getting AWS alarms for alot of green signals in the first half - no sign of any speed changes. Just seemed like rogue AWS

• Like Like x 3
  40. Digital Draftsman

I did 2G22 and I can't say I noticed any incorrect AWS alarms. There was one where I got the alarm a split second before the signal turned green though, so it would be possible to get the alarm and then look ahead and see a green signal.

41. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Consoles are not holding route lengths back.

• Like Like x 5
  42. Digital Draftsman

Route lengths are what they are because they give DTG the optimum return per mile.

In this example maximum sales are generated by a route that is 50-60miles long, however the sales are diminishing after 30miles after an initial large increase in sales from 20miles. Simply put, by creating two 30mile long routes they will generate sales of £270,000, which far exceeds the sales (£165,000) of a single 60mile long route, despite the labor time being about the same, given that both options involve 60miles of route building.

[​IMG]
    This is why they generally don't create longer routes, despite longer routes being more popular. Of course each era/country/type of route will have its own optimum, that optimum flexing as the asset library increases. Some routes will be slightly longer/shorter as they'll end at a convenient place, not in the middle of a field where optimum millage happens to be.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  43. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

A good response from Digital Draftsman, it’s a touchy subject for many the length of the route so with that am glad there’s a community on the TS2020 who are for the length stretches

44. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

here we go again, at least once a week TrainSim-Matt tells people console has nothing to do with it even though you do seriously think this is the case

• Like Like x 5
  45. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

@T
    Calm down mate. Simples

46. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Short routes are too expensive in the game, it should only 19,99€ and not 29,99€

And the graphics has since 2 years the issue that buildings and Objekte loading first direct for the train

47. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Ran this service and I got the same result as Digital Draftsman got

48. taybarker15

taybarker15 New Member

On the last service Seaford to Brighton where you connect to another train but it doesn’t let me connect or the AI

• Like Like x 1
  49. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Facts aren't always convenient.

50. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Yeah old Marias Pass is 152 miles now is many routes in TSW just 30 miles. 5 times different.