People On The Train All The Time

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Zammy Martínez, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Zammy Martínez

Zammy Martínez Active Member

Not in service, train wash etc and people are still on the train, something you guys have never fixed on previous dlcs

i might be the only one asking these things or seeming moany, but i just want that authenticity, you took long enough to give us a british modern route, and the reason for these forums is for us to voice our opinions.
    I need to try and find where u can turn off train interior lights also.

But seriously man, short platforms, long ones like eastbourne, wheres the consistency?

• Like Like x 1
  2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Passengers in service yards is a valid complaint.

TSW had modern British routes since the Great Western. Not as many of them as I'd like though, granted.

Still searching for the light swich either, I suppose that's something that would be done via the MITRAC system?

Platforms have different lengths in reality. Ranging, on the East Coastway, from about 90 meters (Moulsecoomb, Southease) to over 300 meters (Brighton, Eastford), with many in between.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Guys,

We are aware of the passengers being present in situations where they shouldn't be. This is a core issue and will be addressed at some point when we get to it. We will certainly update you when we do.

The Passenger Saloon Lighting is controlled, in the real trains via the MITRAC System. However, in reality, the saloon lighting is left permanently on and is rarely switched on/off directly as the lighting goes off automatically when the Auxiliaries are turned off. Likewise, the lighting comes on when the Auxiliaries are turned on.

Platform lengths match exactly as they are in the real world - this is authentic to the real world location and to make them otherwise would result in a work of fiction.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

In addition to this, in real life not all doors would be opened.

The Class 377 uses GPS-based Selective Door Opening (SDO). The on-board MITRAC computer knows the maximum number of coaches which each station can accommodate, and only releases the doors on the first X coaches. The passenger information system also announces this for each stop (e.g. "due to a short platform at this station, passengers can only alight from the first 6 coaches. This is coach number 5 of 8.").

This is currently not represented in-game, which is why all doors open.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  5. some1

some1 New Member

I wish DTG implemented some solution to the problem, like:
    "if the command to open the doors is issued from the cab and the door is not against the platform, then do not open it"

This is the same on some other routes like LIRR. But my guess is that currently the train does not know where the platform ends, the game logic only cares if train stops in the vicinity of the objective marker.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

DTG covered this in the release stream for the latest route.

The MITRAC system does this in real life, and that feature is not available in game.

Regarding the "train knowing the platform length" that would take the reality out of simulation games if it did it automatically.
    Someone above says the 377 has a GPS based system for door opening.
    But on most of the stock in game, door opening is driver, guard or passenger operated.

Older stock relies on the passengers opening the doors, newer stock often has SDO to do it by whole carriage door sets.
    Personally I like the fact that the driver has control of the doors and that the game doesn't automatically open/close them (an AI guard, for example).
    Yes, SDO would be a nice feature going forward, but the train detecting the end of the platform and not opening doors beyond it wouldn't reflect reality with 95% of the stock.

7. underwaterdick

People constantly being on the train is rather annoying!
    It has been a bugbear of mine since the game came out. Especially when in depots, starting or ending services.

SDO- I have made another post above with my thoughts on that.

Platform length - Not really sure what you have an issue with? Are the stations incorrect in relation to the real ones? Or were you not aware that UK stations have VERY varied platform lengths?
    Being a simulator, it should reflect the real life station in game.

8. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

If it's the guard or the passengers opening the doors, why would it be unrealistic to have TSW do it automatic in such cases - of course ONLY in such cases?

9. underwaterdick

Because I believe that the poster was referring to each set of doors past the platform. For example if the carriage has three sets of doors and only one overhangs, that one set will not open.
    In reality, either all three sets of doors would remain shut, as SDO would disable that carriage set, or the guard would manually open one set in that carriage where they are stood. - although, I believe it is different on the 377 with its system. You could lock one set out from the drivers cab.

But yes, I guess if the game could be coded to have the correct SDO for the stock in use, and the ability to compensate for where the driver stops, it wouldn't be too unrealistic.

It would certainly look better in GWE where doors would be passenger opened and the HST overhang some of the stations.

10. some1

some1 New Member

Any lack of realism that you pointed in your critique is still better than having all doors wide open on every station.

If they can't model it realistically, then at least make it look plausible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

DTG's aspiration is to have TSW resemble reality very closely. Only opening those doors which are alongside a platform, is not how it would work in real life with the majority of trains. They would just open all doors and unsuspecting passengers could fall out.

While trains with SDO/ASDO do exist (the 377 is one of them), DTG have not had the opportunity to implement this in a fully representative and consistent way in TSW yet. So that's why all doors open, even though in real life they wouldn't.

12. flo.hunger

flo.hunger New Member

I agree that the people on out-of-service trains is annoying and hope that will be fixed asap.

While it would certainly be nice if doors could open according to platform length, you do have the option to just open the doors on the first unit, which corresponds pretty well to the length of shorter platforms like Moulscomb, so I don't thibk that's a big issue.

13. Zammy Martínez

No my point was that some of the platforms are short and because i love authenticity, it would be good if we didn’t have to have doors opening off the platforms or see the AI trains with the same fate.

14. Zammy Martínez

Like somebody said about GWE when you release/open the doors they unlock but stay closed like some trains do, even if this was the case with these southern units, it would look better than being open into the track.

Anyway ive just started opening the first 4 coaches in those situations, would be inconvenient in real life, but its the next realistic thing to do on game lol

Even then 387s that TSW never gave us on GWE have that same door function where they unlock but stay closed in real life (from experience)

15. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

"Passengers operating the doors" is one of the many features which is on DTG's list. Maybe one day we'll see "Unlock doors" only unlock them, but doors opening randomly when the virtual pax press the buttons.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zammy Martínez

Im sure ive seen unlock doors on all of these dlcs?

17. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

The LiRR is nortorious for "last two cars will not open" or "only the first four cars will open" announcements. Platforms are at different lengths. But the Conductors are the ones operating the doors sobthey go to the correct car and cab in relation to the platform length and only open the cars that are platformed. Now having the game do this automatically now old work, but what if you overshoot the platform? I think having (maybe in the map screen), the ability to click on which cars will open before opening the doors would work. Kind of like a "conductor feature".

• Like Like x 1