Solved: Saves Aren't Working! (tsw2020 Pc)

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by basementjack, Dec 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. basementjack

basementjack New Member

Hi, Running TSW2020.

Seems to load a prior save, (shows I'm at level 23)
    Does not seem to save any progress.

In the "Dovetail Live" Articles area, Everything is marked as new since "Explore Rhein-Ruhr Osten!"
    (I can read them all, and the new flag goes away, but it comes back after I restart the game)

Feels like something must have happened around the time TSW mastery was released that "locked" my save game file.

Any ideas?

I recently bough the Coastway DLC, and that shows up so no issue with the base game, just the save profile.

2. basementjack

basementjack New Member

Update for anyone else who might randomly have this issue:

It definitely feels like something happened back in Late October 2019 or early November 2019, It could have been an update or it could have been a reinstall of TSW, or a system restore.

Save games are stored in c:\users\youruser\documents\my games\ts2prototype\saved\savegames

I have a screenshot below - none of my files had a recent modified date, I looked at permissions and while most had my user name listed, a few had "Users" with read only permissions - I added write/Modify permissions to the 3 files and restarted the game, and it seems to have worked -my dovetail live articles no longer show as new, and progress in my latest DLC is saved.

After I got this far, I started wondering what else might be messed up in the TS2prototype\saved folder, so I tried to just reset permissions on the whole thing but got an access denied.

I followed this article: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-failed-to-enumerate-objects-in-the-container which worked to replace the permissions.

(In case that article goes offline, the gist is you have to use advanced security, and then pick the owner (even if you pick the same one) then after the owner is picked there will be a new checkmark to replace the owner on everything and you check that along with the replace permissions checkmark) upload_2019-12-18_22-42-39.png

Not sure exactly what the root cause is, but thought I'd post the progress with the hopes it might help someone else in the future.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Maybe you got the Windows 10 1909 in-place upgrade? Would fit time-wise.
    Do you remember logging in/starting up your PC and being greeted by a black background with white letters "we prepare your profile"?

Otherwise it seems quite odd that the permissions in c:\users are changed. By whom? Is your user-account (since you obviously work with the windows user-group (default) an elevated admin? The process that changed the permissions must have been run with at least system or adminb privileges.

4. basementjack

basementjack New Member

I don't remember the profile warning, but I did get pushed into the 1909 at some point.

My account's an admin, UAC is enabled, I typically don't approve a UAC action unless I'm doing something.

I think it's possible at some point that I might have deleted and re-installed TSW2020 to try to fix another problem back around that time - I wonder if that could have contributed to my end state.

Hopefully it's been a pretty limited thing, though your comments make me want to look at the rest of the documents directory and see if any other folders have that same permissions pattern.

5. stevegad

stevegad Member

I have full read/write permissions for the saves, as well as the executable, yet my game will only save once per run maybe, then nothing. This is happening in TSW4 - although it also occurred in the previous 2 iterations as well. I wish Dovetail would address this, rather than us guys having to share home made remedies. Thanks for your input guys, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

• Like Like x 1