Trophies

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by sam6190, Dec 20, 2019.

1. sam6190

sam6190 New Member

Hi everyone,

I’ve lurked here since shortly after I first got the game in August. When I bought TSW 2020 I went and got every dlc available at the time too. So until RRO came out I was up to date.

But having been nosing on here I’ve been filled with nothing but anxiety every time I complete any trophy over whether I’ll be awarded or not.

I’m currently on NEC and Big Step hasn’t popped for me (the collectibles one) it’s really annoying having to replay things on other profiles or with the internet off, the game says right there on the screen 75/75 collectibles, how can it still not register to give me the trophy!? This game is the first I’ve ever played in all my years that is so fundamentally broken that it causes me stress. How can the devs honestly be proud of half a working game? Don’t get me wrong it’s very pretty, but surely they should give DLC releases a break and work hard to fix the important things like trophies and mastery!

I’m guessing it’s because they already have my money for that route so who cares, right? Well I’m not spending another penny until assurances are made. I could have seen myself buying everything they put out until they stop putting things out, which saddens me.

Sorry I signed up to this forum specifically to have a rant. I’m satisfied now and will go back into my trophyless hole :(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Canon772

Canon772 Active Member

This wasn't really a rant; you were just telling the truth. Unfortunately, DTG don't seem to listen to their customers.

There are many other players (including me) who feel exactly the same as you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Your voice is most welcome. I sometimes think that there are a few types of people that post on these Forums:

- ultra-keen and fully committed long-standing veterans of railway simulators;
    - extremely ultra-keen veterans that would like to develop content for their own amusement or for sale to the first group;
    -
    paying customers (or maybe....punters that have taken a chance/gamble with their purchase...?) that are looking here for advice and support (because the Dovetail documentation and the TSW software itself is structured so poorly that it is difficult to access and/or enjoy some of the excellent and beautiful and potentially deep functionality and artwork that is actually on offer); and,
    - customers/punters that have worked out that something is very wrong with the minimum standards applied in the software and pluck up the guts to flag up issues and/or complain.

There's an inter-play between these groups that ranges from genuine helpfulness and kind community spirit to toxicity and hostility, and responses can be unpredictable, so I think that about 90% of people just lurk. (Which is completely understandable). But again - from my point of view you are most welcome! If more lurkers posted their concerns, then more voices would be heard.

I have banged on about trophies for a few months now. Ironically, I don't even care that much about trophies, but very many people do care. I would admit that I do get some small satisfaction from ticking a box, and a sense of 'unfairness' when a box that should be ticked doesn't get ticked because the trophy has failed. But what outrages me (sorry, I mean to say, "what causes me to go through a period of mildly disconsolate reflection on my disappointment....") is that making these trophies work is really very easy, and Dovetail consistently fail in this area.

And... this is despite the fact that the TSW trophies are also the most bland, unimaginative and meaningless trophies that you could possibly create. They merely require the software to count. The trophy system could be used to recognise developing skills (using safety systems and not using visual assists, for example), or for exploring features, or doing things that ultimately requires a level of skill to be achieved. But they don't. They just try to count stuff. But counting is not an area that plays to the software developers' strengths. So they don't work.

I am, however, very interested to see how (or indeed...if...) Dovetail responds to dealing with bugs with trophies and UI counters - because this is an area that is extremely easy to fix and get right first time. Or second time. Or fifty-third time. Not that I'm counting.... If they are really trying to fix this, but are having difficulty, then maybe they could get a consultant counting person in to help them? But... unfortunately... I think that they are simply not trying to resolve the issue.

There is a school of thought in the TSW community that the UI and the trophy system are utterly unimportant, can be completely ignored, and that no resource should be put into it - as the simulator itself (and developing more and more broken content) is the main show. I completely disagree with this, especially with respect to the UI. Car-makers usually ensure that the doors on their cars are easy and satisfying to open and close, no matter how much effort goes into designing the engine, steering and suspension, and they do this for a reason - because user experience is just as important as technical functionality and beautiful form. All three areas should be developed and enhanced together.

I also disagree with respect to the trophies, because failure to fix the trophy issue racks up the 'opportunity costs' (in many areas including loss of: customer loyalty; early high price DLC income; and, ongoing marketing opportunities to new highly relevant customers) - but... these costs don't appear on the balance sheet, which is probably a good thing in the long run, because then these costs don't need to be counted.

There is another solution. If Dovetail really don't know how to make trophies work, or how to code them consistently (which could require people to talk to each other, or for seemingly disgusting things like 'common standards' to be actively discussed and agreed), then why not just not include the trophies? Or just make one trophy (say.... "Welcome to TSW"), and test it until there is confidence that it works, and then don't make any more trophies, because the time allocated to testing is not easy to count (because it is too small to measure), and the risk of failure is a number which might be described as "extremely high", whatever that number might be... and if anyone had the capability to count, then we'd know what that number is....

In short - if you are going to put a feature into the software, then make it work, or don't put it in. This applies to everything from basic stuff like trophies to complex stuff like simulating cab/head sway ....and with cab/head sway - they have developed something that really really works very very well - this is really not very easy to optimise, and the resulting improvement in immersion is a step change upwards. Do this for the seemingly small and unimportant stuff too please...! If not for my sake, then at least do it for Pete.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Manfonse

Manfonse Active Member

Trophies have been a mess in this game from day one. They will never fix them. DTG don’t care about the players. They only interested in making money. The new DLC released just released last week is also bugged of trophies. The company are a total disgrace to gamers and I have been in touch with someone to take this further.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sam6190

sam6190 New Member

It’s ridiculous that they’re still releasing content full of bugs. To a degree I’d understand the earlier ones that I’ve been playing (GWE, RT & NEC so far) but to know the community has an issue with bugged trophies and not have dedicated testing processes to make sure they work in all subsequent DLC just shows the utter contempt they must have for us and our opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Hey, I collected all the things at NEC but the trophy didn't pop up for me either. Were you able to solve the problem somehow or do I really have to do it all again?... Thanks!

7. Bkulesza

Bkulesza Member

Haven't tried the collectables for NEC yet, but I did the ones for ECW on two different profiles & still no trophy.. WHACK!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi

Well, just do 740 of 700 miles needed in LIRR offline and trophy didnt pop.

9. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

I'm going for mile Muncher at the moment, I really hope it unlocks...