PC Train Sim World - New Interview With Dovetail Producer

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jameswright, Dec 19, 2019.

1. jameswright

jameswright New Member

Hey everyone!

Hope this is ok linking here, but I did once before and you guys seemed to appreciate the info/read.

One of my writers recently spoke with Matt Peddlesden, Senior Producer for Train Sim World for a preview/interview.

It covers quite a broad spectrum of topics from the past/present/future of the game. EG:

- Communication with the community
    - how they pick routes
    - TSW editor in 2020
    - Licensing and research for other regions

Etc, Etc.

The guy who did the interview is quite an avid fan of the game, so I'm hoping he's been able to discover some intel that you guys find interesting.

INTERVIEW HERE

• Like Like x 21
  2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

I very much like what it says in there. Matt stating it in a stream is one thing, but an official confirmation that the editor is still on the way gives me a whole lot more of new confidence! 2020 might well see the breakthrough TSW deserves!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Great questions from the interviewer!

• Like Like x 1
  4. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I appreciate the good work! Very good interview

• Like Like x 2
  5. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

This made me laugh a solid 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Sounds pretty good. Looking forward to what's to come in 2020!

7. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article, even though I'm not all that happy with the answers given, sadly. Especially the question about improvements in communication was answered very unsatisfyingly (basically it wasn't answered).
    Besides, a word about the editor is nice, but also nothing new.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The questions were good....but we didn't really learn anything new from the answers provided (to be expected). Nothing was ever going to be announced / revealed via a 3rd party interview.

9. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

5 minute laughter, id have no stomach! LOL

10. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  11. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Where is it then? This is just the annual 'it's coming at some undefined point in the future' announcement. Nothing new.

Another Daily Star article from July 2018 says:
    It's the same old story. Where's the public beta which was supposed to happen in 2018, before being postponed until 2019, now what? Is it postponed until 2020? 2021? Who knows, not even DTG themselves apparently.

We haven't even seen the public Editor, not even a screenshot. All the screenshots and the live stream show the in-house version, not the public version. So the only evidence we have that the public Editor is even being developed is DTG saying that it definitely is, meanwhile they miss deadline after deadline whilst showing nothing of substance. Don't forget, the Editor is a high priority for DTG, they've been working around the clock for the last 3 years, but still, not even a screenshot to show for it.

• Like Like x 10
  12. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Whilst I have no doubt the editor is still being worked on, it is extremely poor that DTG have provided virtually no updates or useful information of how the editor is progressing for over a year.

This quote from the article in particular smells like BS;
    but where possible we are always keen to be transparent about information shared.

They been doing the exact opposite regarding the editor. Of course they know how it’s been progressing or what issues they have been facing with it, they just refuse to share out any information whatsoever to us and keep it all internal.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I think that during this Christmas period, Anthony thinks that Matt will bring us the editor, on his sleigh, with a big white beard all dressed in red.:D

• Like Like x 3
  14. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Its like OMSI London, lots of promise, which is why you shouldn’t talk a thing until it’s actually 100%

It’s just bad marketing

• Like Like x 3
  15. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

You should be glad they even MENTIONED it. That's the real surprise. I back your claim 100%.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

Me? I don’t work for DTG.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Given that the story of OMSI is definitely one example of how not to manage a product and a community, there are many other examples of the opposite, developers actively talking and working with users about product future (ETS just to mention one).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I was very excited when I red that DTG and Matt are thinking about heritage german freight.

Perhaps we will get German freight steam locomotives like the DR BR 44.

19. Anthony Pecoraro

That may have been to just show their thought process. I wouldn’t look too much into that?

20. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Digital Draftsman. Unless I see the editor come out in game, I'm not buying it. I think DTG is just blowing more smoke up people's you know where.

• Like Like x 4
  21. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

They say now it is a closed beta. I think for one year ago they say Alpha
    Then they have passed these stages
    Pre-alpha
    Alpha
    Beta
    Perpetual beta
    Open and closed beta

Now it is this left
    Release candidate
    Stable release
    Release

So I say it comes 2020 the Editor. But who knows
    They said this sep 2018
    We are targeting this year to release the tools into an Open Beta and will get more specific with dates as we progress.
    so there has been much slower than they thought themselves

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  22. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

The frustration from many is quite amusing. Thankfully id hope many have other things to do and enjoy while DTG try and figure out which route to take next, no pun intended.

TSW is slow as we’ve not had a new Train Sim that’s trying to be proper train simulation for years. It’ll be the same with a new proper Bus Simulator. Sorry to go off topic slightly but Bus Sim 18 is not a simulator, neither is Fernbus. It’s a game that tries to interpret simulation; TSW is more sim than both those titles put together. It’s showing how UE4 can be utilised but, I hope that the editor doesn’t require a registration to Epic Games, but as Matt says, it’s engineered by DTG to be an addition to TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Why do you not want an Epic Games account? From what Matt has said in the past that's how you get to the Unreal Engine and the game tools.

24. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am still astonished that even with recent confirmations that it is till in progress, there are still some who are still saying there will be no editor. It is almost as if they don't want there to be one! It is almost an obsession.

• Like Like x 5
  25. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Ah yes, just like when DTG confirmed that Flight Sim World has a bright future in front of it... 2 weeks before they abandoned it for good. DTG's word is definitely something you can trust. Its not like the editor was supposed to be released back in 2017 or something. Or how they talked about the PIS being ready to be implemented shortly after GWE release and where are we now with that? Made some progress sure, but nothing of that sort added to older DLC's because ---- people who supported them early, right?

I get it, theres no alternative to this Train sim, but it still shouldnt mean that you people should turn off your brains completely and take anything for granted DTG hands you. We are the customers after all and still thinking the editor is ever going to be released is more than unrealistic considering everything mentioned.

• Like Like x 6
  26. theorganist

There are several other train simulators. And I make my own mind up I don't require your vindication!

• Like Like x 5
  27. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I understand more and more why DTG not telling us what developments they are making on the simulator.
    for, it is slower for them to do development this so they get a betrayal debate from us.
    Then it becomes much easier to say it when it's done.

We not gonna hearing something about the multiplayer until the day when it's almost done I think.
    But when it comes to the editor, 1.2 years ago they said they were developing it.
    Then it became quieter and quieter and completely silent in 6 month. Until now a few days ago.
    They could have done this so much better.

They may have made a mistake when they told about it but when they chose to do it then you have to tell a little all the time how it develops.

I guess maybe 10% of the people are doing development now in TSW.
    The rest make locomotive routes for new things that we should buy.
    And it is prioritized because that's what they make money from

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  28. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

IIRC there were a number of posters questioning when, or if, an editor was going to be released at the time Matt did his stream showing the editor. From the way Matt was talking during that stream I suspect that at the time he was fairly optimistic there would be a public beta release some time this year since he said a closed beta was due to take place early in the new year. Since Matt's said the editor is currently in a closed beta then I imagine either the closed beta started rather later than first hoped or else further issues have cropped up in the closed beta that needed to be addressed.

29. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Yes, I think they may have learned from their mistake a year ago when they told us the editor will be coming soon.
    That brings up another whole discussion. What does multiplayer even look like for TSW and how will it work? In my mind it would involve a whole redesign of the game. I could be wrong, though, as it was something talked about in the early days before the game started getting developed. Meaning, the developers could have been keeping multiplayer in mind during the design and just didn't enable those parts for now. Still, I don't understand how it will work well in a Train Sim game.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  30. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

My vindication to you? Reading comprehension issues or whats up with you lmao

• Like Like x 1
  31. theorganist

Vindication is exactly what I meant. There is nothing wrong with my comprehension thank you. Your attitude on the other hand.......

32. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

Well I guess all i can do is wait Till the editor to do any thing its seems! To be honest I been posting this all over the fourms and hope they make this editor for this game and with the editor you can edit the timetables and have more then 2 Ai Trains driving with you... I love the LIRR DLC but its Dead no Rail Traffic and im not use to seeing LIRR Empty unless its 2 or 3 AM in the morning till 5 AM...

Untill then Back to Trainz 2012

33. Anthony Pecoraro

You will never be able to edit timetables. You may eventually be able to make a new one. We will definitely be able to make new scenarios.

34. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

Sorry i mean Create one for the LIRR where i will be able to have more then 2 AI trains on the rail :)

35. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I feel like the emptiness of LIRR is so that they can drop in another DLC at some point with its own timetable that fits within the existing one. I hope...

36. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Matt stated in a stream some time they had trouble getting the dispatcher to work right on the LIRR, so they are basically running a reduced emergency timetable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1