Is The Game Broken Or Am I Just Bad At Playing It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by concretebox, Dec 30, 2019.

1. concretebox

concretebox New Member

Just picked it up today and been playing for a few hours. I was able to drive other trains, but one got stuck and I had to restart. I gave up and tried another line, the Long Island one, and I was able to drive the train in the tutorial, but in the first mission, it wouldn't move. I had experienced what I thought was a bug earlier, so I suspected this was also a bug, so I restarted. Same problem, I set go to the marker, wait for the train, get on board, take the engineer's seat, wait, load passengers, lock the doors, set the headlights, set the reverser to forward, and the power to the lowest I can get with an xbox one controller (about 15-30%). The train doesn't move. I restarted again and same problem. Am I missing something or is the game broken?

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

On LIRR you have to put the master key in first, then set brakes to Max and charge them before you can get going. You sure you did all of that as per the tutorial?

Check page 7 in the LIRR Manual ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

The starting prozedure is good described in the tutorial. It makes real sense to repeat it sometimes to learn the control of the different units completely.

4. concretebox

concretebox New Member

Thanks! That was the issue. I wonder if you can help me with the same problem on the German train...I got through the tutorial, and during the first mission, I stopped the train, then it wouldn't go forward again. I gave up and tried another German train and same problem, it wouldn't move.

5. concretebox

concretebox New Member

GERMAN TRAIN STARTUP:
    Battery hold 5 sec. Pantagraph auto. master switch - neutral, lights, headlights, pantagraph raise, main circurit breaker to close, parking brake (next to battery), master switch - forward, train brake release, throttle up,

• Like Like x 1
  6. concretebox

concretebox New Member

ok...got the german train to go once after an e-brake, but I did all the same things the second time and it won't move...well, it will slowly roll backwards, but it's broken otherwise. WTF?! So frustrating!

7. concretebox

concretebox New Member

ok...litterally 2 second after i posted this i flipped something and it started moving....seriously WTF?!

8. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

When you stop with those trains, make sure you have the Throttle set to off. If its still on "On" and you used the brake the Power becomes blocked. So you have to set it to Off and wait a few seconds before you can apply power again (Brakes must be released of course)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. concretebox

concretebox New Member

ok...german train...second mission, I stop without using the e-brake open and close the doors without issue and get moving again...then the next stop, I stop without using e-brake, open/close doors without issue, then try to move again, and the train starts rolling backwards....master switch is in forwards, throttle is up to 30/60% the amount used to get the train moving at the previous stop, but this time it's moving the train backward at 0.1 mph. I didnt touch any controls other than throttle, doors and brakes, yet something is broken.

I flip the master switch to neutral and back and then the train will move forward...I stop at stop 3 without using e-brake, open/close doors without issue, and then I just start moving when I apply throttle...inconsistent with previous experience...WTF?!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  10. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Yep, this one often used to catch me out when driving German trains. Now I'm just used to setting the throttle to off before trying to apply any power. From memory I think some of the British locos do this as well.

11. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing something wrong. If this happens try to record a Video and share it here. Just set the recording length to longer than 30 Seconds so we can actually see what you are doing before and while stopping.

The same applies to your door problem as posted in a different thread. It works fine on the fist attempt unless you are missing something. A Video of showing the "issue" would be helpful.

12. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

It sounds like you're suffering from the throttle cut-outs.

In most trains, if throttle is applied, and you apply any braking it will cut the throttle out and stop it working. You can waggle it around as much as you like but it will no longer apply any power. To reset the cut-out you must move it firmly to the zero / off minimum position for a beat and then ensuring the brakes are now released, apply power.

Where a train has an electric / dynamic brake it's also worth double checking that this is off as well - e.g. on German locos that have both levers, you'll find as you apply the train brake, the electric will apply with it to help with braking. Some times, i've found that when I release the train brake it doesn't *quite* fully release the electric brake, which keeps the cut-out active on the throttle - so ensure that this is at zero as well, then reset throttle and re-apply.

"Brakes released" doesn't just mean the lever is at zero either - the throttle cut-out's on German loco's for example, apply when the brake pipe is under 5 bar - so when you release the brakes, watch the brake pipe needle and you'll see it rise - as it gets to around 5 bar you can try applying power. If you don't see fairly immediate amps, throttle back to zero, wait a beat, try again.

It sounds a bit haphazard but there is logic there and it does make sense once you get the hang of it.

Once you get more familiar, you'll start to wonder - hey, if i have to release the brakes to apply power, how on earth do i start on a hill without rolling backwards? There's a solution for that too :) Hint: Throttle interlocks DONT apply generally to the locomotive / direct / straight brakes, so you can apply that, release the train brakes, and then once those are off, get the throttle on for some power and once you're generating power ok - ease off the loco brakes. Don't worry about that until you get more familiar though :)

Hope that helps.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

What about the HST?

14. michael.j.meliambro

michael.j.meliambro Member

Admittedly, I've had some trouble as of late in LIRR with the Reverser dial being too touchy on the M7, since it's set so close to the Master Controller (Throttle / Brake). Too often, I find myself trying to adjust the Master Controller to control my speed, and I end up accidentally setting the Reverser to "Neutral" or "Reverse" while on the move, which brings me to either an unexpected crawl or a complete standstill.

Still, nobody's perfect.....;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  15. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Fantastic advice/support....!

Can you now please put this in a manual, and make that manual easy to access from the TSW software, expecially for console players and hard copy buyers (on PC) that never see the manuals on Steam. I am concerned that this sort of user-experience happens quite a lot, and as a result you lose about 80% of your customer base, pretty much immediately - and I'd like more people to learn to love TSW...!

Not everybody finds these forums.

By the way - while you're there - you might want to look at the front covers of your manuals, as published on Steam, and consider proof-reading as part of a new QA/QC process.... unless you really do have the permission of "Greater Western Railway" to use the GWR logos. This sort of thing doesn't do much for the confidence of the paying customer...

---------->
    EDITED TO ADD: I got the last paragraph above completely wrong. Many apologies. As pointed out in later posts, the reference to First Greater Western Ltd., on the front of the TSW manuals, is correct.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

First Greater Western Ltd is the company which trades as Great Western Railway, so what it says on the manual is correct.

17. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Aaaaah! It's part of the First Group... I stand corrected...! Thank you!

Given that is the case, I completely and utterly apologise for maligning the proof-reading skills of the person that designed the manual cover.

Funny thing is, that my opinion of DTG's general capabilities is so poor, that I just assumed they had got this wrong (they didn't, clearly). But I also note that the OP, when first interacting with TSW, felt that TSW could be broken, as a default possibility.

---------->
    EDITED TO ADD: I must remember to try to stop assuming things.... ;-O

• Like Like x 2
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think on German trains emergency stop means restart and circuit breakers. Just go to full service and not emergency stop

19. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

This is why i drive British trains