Over Ten Years Of Stuttering And Freezes...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robert, Jan 1, 2020.

1. robert

robert New Member

I have been playing Train Simulator/Rail Simulator for over ten years. No matter what I do, I cannot eliminate occasional stuttering and instantaneous freezing. After four rebuilds, this is what I have:
    64bit Windows 10 PRO
    Mother board: Asus P8Z77-M
    CPU: I7-3770K @350 GHz
    RAM:16 GB DDR3
    Video: GeForce GTX 1080 w/8GB GDDR5X
    SSD: Samsung 840 PRO
    2nd SSD: M.2 NVMe Samsung 1T 970EVO. (Train Sim library folders were transferred to this drive using the Steam multiple drive utility.)
    Transferring the Train Sim library to the NVMe ssd has given me some improvement, I think due to the speed of this ssd. I'm not good at tweaking. Does anyone have any ideas? Am I missing something?

2. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

The game just freezes and stutters when driving? Are your drivers up to date? And the SSD speed does impact performance, it's better to have a fast one.

3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

When it loads the next tile there will always be a momentary pause, which is about half a second or so for me, despite having a well spec'd computer and TS2020 on an SSD. When an AI train appears there can also be stuttering as it loads that in, especially if it's high detail or consists of a lot of vehicles. Sometimes a train or scenario will have a lot scripts running, or badly written scripts running, and that can occasionally cause a pause. There's not much you can do about it unfortunately as the issues tend to be with TS2020 rather than your set up.

Don't forget, it's a 12 year old game and whilst a lot of effort has been made to update it over the years it certainly doesn't make the most efficient use of the hardware at its disposal.

4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

How often does the stuttering and freezing occur? If it occurs very often (every 5 or so seconds), you may have a problem, but if it stutters every minute or so it's normal. For some reason the game can't draw the next portion of the map efficiently so it freezes for a little while. This is extremely annoying and I don't think it's possible to fix, either from the users' end or DTG's end.

5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Try running Train simulator in high priority using the -high launch option. Otherwise I don't know.

6. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I agreed with Digital Draftsman about " a momentary pause " and I had the same as he have. I asked one of my son who is a computer geek and said that you will never get no pause at all even with the best desktop or laptop. He did explained to me how the next tile loads and get a momentary pause. Anyway I am happy about my desktop but for robert and he should be fine with his computer because of his computer specifications are way better than mine. Is that your laptop or desktop? Also with " M.2 MVE " is better than hard drive or SSD. Hopefully someone here can help you to tweak your computer.

John

7. robert

robert New Member

The game only freezes or stutters when driving. My fps range from 20 to 30. I have the latest nvidia driver. I remember reading somewhere that some hard drives will not read fast enough for smooth operation. The NVMe PCIE ssd does give improvement but not completely.

8. robert

robert New Member

Where do I find the high launch option? To answer jpmackay, mine is a desktop.

9. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Right click Train simulator in your Steam library and click "Properties". Then click "Set launch options" button and type in "-high" without the quotes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. robert

robert New Member

I may get a instantaneous freeze once in a two or three minute interval.

• Like Like x 1
  11. robert

robert New Member

Found it and typed in -high

Thanks

12. Random Railfan

Yeah, that's pretty much normal unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  13. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I know that some people don't like doing this as they say that they lose their third party addons but try a Verify Integrity Of Game Files in Steam I did this about 4 weeks ago which I hadn't done for a few years to fix an issue and found that I had thousands of files that needed verifying and needed downloading over 600 MB in total and when I started TS it had fixed the problem but I also noticed that the stutter in loading the tiles had decreased. Worth a try. :)

14. Random Railfan

Yep, it does remove a lot of 3rd party stuff. Somehow AP's stuff (aside from track and sky packs) still worked but all the other mods I had needed to be reinstalled. It's a massive pain but if it keeps down the stuttering it can be worth it.