New Totham Route

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doomotron, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

It's nice to see the Great Western Main Line is still being sold in an unaltered state...

Seriously though, the fact JustTrains can actually sell this on Steam is disgusting. Station models: Kuju. Trains: Kuju. Scenery: Kuju. Track textures: Kuju. ss_757d061605633c9cc8392a25de3ee2b889a119e2.1920x1080.jpg Totham_0003.jpg It's just a Kuju route, pulled straight from 2007. This costs the same as the Great Eastern Main Line, and your getting something that looks like I made it - there's better looking workshop routes than this!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

It should have been freeware route by the looks and length. Not to knock it, as i personally dont have it nor would i buy it... but just... no.

And its so aged, why steam all of the sudden?

Not to mention you could likely still buy it on JT website much cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

It is a route from 2011 (according to the manual at the bottom), so there was limited amount of assets available.
    The reach on Steam is much larger then the site itself, maybe that is why?
    The price of the route is (in euro's) €1,04 more expansive then direct from JustTrains.

But as this is a really, really, old route, released around the same time as Bristol-Exeter, WCML North, Horseshoe Curve it is priced the same as a few. Most of them carry the name 'TS Classic', which is meant for the back catalog of older routes and add-ons, which this certainly qualifies, should have been cheaper.

I think most people fall over the word 'new' in the description, which it is certainly not as it is 9 years old this year.
    Also wondering why it doesn't have a link to a 'Dovetail Live Article' post.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Hi Rob,
    Our article writer has been on holiday since mid-December and doesn't return until Monday.
    Due to this the number of articles produced will have been impacted.

5. Doomotron

To be honest, if the route was £5 and in the Classics range, I might have bought it!

6. trev123

trev123 Active Member

You are talking about 3 different routes here. Totham Route which is a fictitious route just been released, Great Western Main Line and Great Eastern Mainline London Ipwitch Route.

7. Doomotron

I know. It's a comparison. Totham looks like the Rail Simulator Great Western Main Line but costs the same as the GEML, which is a much better route.

8. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Honestly, this looks like complete garbage for 2020 standards. It may have been passable in the Railworks days but it's a complete ripoff for $20. I'd maybe justify it if it cost around $5, although it would still look outdated and hilariously bad compared to even a bad workshop route. Not that all workshop routes are bad, lots are good, but I'd compare this to a really bad one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I was just looking through my Just Trans account and saw that I purchased the Totham Line from JT in May 2014. I actually forgot that I had it. I don't know how the relationship between DTG and JT works whether JT offers the route to DTG or vice versa. The date modified for the manual in Windows Explorer is 7/4/2011.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Another pass from me on this one. Hopefully the recent, underwhelming, releases via DTG are a stop-gap because the Dovetail team are working on something exciting like Modern or Retro update packs for existing lines, the long-awaited AC slamdoor DLC or even something set in 2020 with shiny new trains.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that or DTG is intentionally killing TS20 so TSW does better. I know it may seem "out there" to think this but seeing as they tend to promote TSW a lot more on Twitter and other outlets I'm starting to think that they're putting out lackluster (or downright awful) routes to turn people off of TS20 and switch to TSW. Again, I know this seems insane since TS20 earns so much money, but it appears on the surface at least that DTG doesn't care about it nearly as much about the game as they used to.

12. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

From the looks of it, this is just a case of JT trying to put their entire catalogue onto Steam for whatever reason. Based on the tags that crop up on workshop scenarios, Valley Corridor is either next or soon in the pipeline. I don't think it's DTG would flat out tell a third-party developer, "No, we won't put your product on Steam," and so that's why they've been publishing the last few routes

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

There was talk from DTG back in 2018 that TS2018 was the 'final' version of TS 1 / Classic but to everyone surprise TS2019 came out with 64-bit. DTG always talked about having no source code access, everything was still at Kuju and they just did a hack job on the code.
    Well then the tone changed and they always had to source code.

DTG did invest some time to create the 64-bit version (although the editor fix would take months to about a year to make it safe, not break routes when loading back in when the game started the wrong 32-bit version).

From what I read/heard in the streams from DTG and Matt is that the 3rd party themselves ask their productmanager contact at DTG to make stuff on Steam, maybe it is by request of DTG but certainly not this one.
    As DTG themselves said way back in 2015 they didn't want any 'fictional' routes on Steam Store anymore (this certainly qualifies).
    It seems that they change their minds about stuff yearly or at least in a while.

Hopefully they change their minds for better and invest into being a company that gives about the community, fixing (own) content even if it is old, making good on promises like the TGV fix or the TSW editor (the communication is broken as they just ignore anything about it stuff they don't have an answer to instead of saying 'no news to report' or 'watch the official channels', 'ask the support team').

There are a few developers that bring their stuff to Steam, Armstrong Powerhouse, RSSLO, Virtual Railroads, Just Trains.
    It seems that it is just a matter of time before some stuff appears, when it doesn't require a new license or the current license that DTG has can be extended or it will be unbranded as is the case with the DRS 37 with the Wherry Lines. On the AP website you get it with a branding patch, on Steam it is just plain unbranded.

There is much, much more 3rd party stuff out there so it is question, do you either wait for it to come to Steam or just buy it on their own store.
    One thing that maybe could come to Steam is 'Im Koblitzer Bergland v3 Reloaded v2' that recently got released, every asset has been consolidated into a single folder and career scenarios are present (although they don't count towards XP as custom scenarios).

But we drift away from this specific route.

As been noted, this hasn't changed since 2011 when the route was released so if you expect this day's quality by 3rd party, you will be disappointed. As I don't have the route myself, I'll just wait until it goes on sale one day for around half price to complete the Steam Store collection more and more.

• Like Like x 3