PlayStation Cabin Fever

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Badger, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Badger

Badger New Member

Just had an extended session shunting passenger carriages in West Somerset and I have to admit that as much fun as it was, it was also tinged with a little frustration.

First I had to start from scratch when my Locomotive got violently derailed from the turntable at Minehead. I really hadn’t thought I’d positioned it badly, but second time around I was doubly cautious, checking from all sides as well as an overhead view and this time it turned just fine, so I suppose it was my bad parking.... except that I saw the devs have the exact same problem on their live stream and they never mentioned positioning. In fact from memory they glossed over it and switched to another train. So just out of interest, anyone else have this issue? Is it a bug or a feature. :)

On the plus side, during the above I found the “save” function, which I didn’t know existed and which eventually came in very handy, when I was taken hostage in my own loco cabin! Yeah you heard right, taken hostage! You really don’t expect that kind of treatment at Minehead shunting yard. Well..... I suppose if you count the time that I...... but no, that’s another story.

I was closing in on the end of the scenario. All I had to do was couple to the passenger carriages I’d put in place during this quite long session and which I assume I’ll be pulling on the next part of my journey. Gently nudging them had not coupled (still not quite got the hang of how this works. Seems that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t) so I climbed down to try to connect manually.

I couldn’t quite make that work, so I decided to mount up again and try a little more gentle collision therapy. Only to discover that suddenly the cabin doors wouldn’t open. I couldn’t imagine why this might be, but then I suddenly realised that I was able to select the driver seat through the closed window.... so I did. Mistake!

I quickly realised that I’d accidentally got into the wrong end of the loco. Nothing much would work in there and this is presumably because I already had it set up at the other end. But worse, the doors still wouldn’t open! I obviously wasn’t supposed to have been allowed in here in the first place and now I was trapped!

After about 15 minutes of fumbling around trying to figure out a work around, I finally gave up and reloaded the save that thank goodness I’d taken. At least I did, once I’d worked out how to reload a save. Anybody else been taken hostage in their own loco cab? Or is it just me.

Badger

2. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of anyone else being trapped, so yes maybe just you. ;)

Did you get the coupling sorted out? You should only need to pull up close to the carriages and then climb out* to manually couple - there's not any auto coupling, at least not on WSR.
    One thing of note that may cause a problem is that the coaches often have the buckeye coupler extended and their buffers retracted. It's a problem because none of the locos have that type of coupling. You need to manually click on the buckeye and swap it over to "normal" prior to attaching them.

*You can actually select the coupler via the free cam if you wanted to do it that way. Also the points can be changed via that cam, easier than the map sometimes.

3. Badger

Badger New Member

Actually I haven’t done any more coupling ops since then PjM. I did notice that connections seemed to be Buckeye or Hook and I hadn’t really categorically decided what went with which. I was going to look for a YouTube tutorial about it to make it clear. :) I’ll look for extended buffers next time though.

I was surprised lots of folk haven’t posted telling me about their own loco kidnap horror stories. You reckon it might just be me, but the option to sit in the drivers chair was right there through the closed window. I can’t be the only one who has seen that. It’s like being abducted by aliens all over again... nobody believed me then either. :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Like Mulder in the X-Files, I want to believe. :)