PlayStation Braking 101

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by spur4848, Jan 8, 2020.

1. spur4848

spur4848 New Member

I am trying to brake using the PS4 controller L1 and L2 as it states on the diagram that comes with the
    manual for 2020. They do not work. What buttons work for braking on the controller?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

In case of the 101, Ä and Ö.

3. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

You've got to go beyond 'tap' to apply the breaks.... I'm no expert at this as I need to fully release the brake pressure and repeat the process when stopping.... Don't get me started on the approach to Victoria, its a mare....

• Like Like x 1
  4. spur4848

spur4848 New Member

Thanks but you don't tell me what buttons to use on the controller.

5. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

OK dude, pull the front left shoulder buttons, it will stop a valve/lap then press more to apply brakes....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Are you asking specifically about the Class 101, or have you called the thread Braking 101 as in, an introduction to braking?

If it's specifically about the Class 101, then L2 is to move the brake lever in the Apply direction and L1 moves it in the Release direction, but it's not as simple in that train as others because you have to press L2 to get to the point where pressure is applied, then move back to the Lap position to remain at that pressure. Then to release the brakes, you have to press L1 again to move it to the point where the brake pressure is released.

If you're just asking for a general overview, then it does vary by train. In most, L1/L2 control the brakes and R1/R2 control the throttle, but in a few trains, R1/R2 is a combined brake/throttle lever which will move you from Full Power all the way to Emergency Brake. Examples are the Class 166, DB BR 422 and the M7.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. spur4848

spur4848 New Member

That was Braking 101 as an intro. Didn't even know there was a 101 Engine LoL. Well my controller does not work with the L1 and L2 so maybe I should verify that my controller is completely operational.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Lol. Which train are you driving? A lot of the trains use only R1/R2 for the full range from throttle to brake, and there may be other things you need to do first, for example in the M7, you need to turn the master key on and charge the brakes before you can use the throttle.

Try doing the Tutorials for whichever route you're on - they'll give you an understanding of how to get the train moving and bring it safely to a stop.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. thearkerportian

Already missing the downvote button, and I'm not speaking about Factor41. Neither about Paul...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Perfect instructions... The way I like to look at the braking system on the 101 is imagine you're filling a bucket with water, open to fill a desired amount of water (pressure) empty (release) if too much braking, or add (open the tap) more pressure... But just like running a tap, you alway turn it off (lap) to see how full your bucket is (brake pressure)

• Like Like x 2
  11. thearkerportian

Nice comparison, but where did you find that tap that can both fill and empty a bucket? :D

12. Northlander

Northlander Guest