Palermo (italy) Suburban Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FD1003, Dec 29, 2019.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Oh boy it's gonna be fun reading Palermo (Italy) between the usual UK/GER/USA routes, but at least I'll try...

First, why I think it's not a ridiculous idea:
    1) It's similar to Rapid Transit
    2) It only needs one type of train
    3) It's something new, it's not like there are already 2 different routes starting from the same city in Germany
    Anyway, a bit of a description of the route now:

The Palermo (one the major city in Sicily) Suburban Route connects its airport (Punta Raisi) with the Central Station, so the first part of the route is pretty normal (similar to the northern part of the Rapid Transit), then you get to a point where, in order to reach the Central Station, the railway goes beneath the city (like the Leipzig City tunnel).

The main differences are that in the "open" part the stations are a bit more clustered together, while in the RT they are 4/6KM apart, but the tunnel part does not become subway, like it does in the RT where is always full throttle/full brake, here you will have the chance to reach a decent speed and maintain it for a bit before starting to brake.

Edit: since I can't post images I'll link it:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/ZTrrXjdVrK3ycEtR7

This is the city part, you are only interested in the red line (although the blue branch line would be cool, it would require a new kind of rolling stock).

Now, about the rolling stock:

You only need one EMU (like the RT), what we called the Jazz, or as everyone else calls it, another damn version of the Coradia Meridian

https://images.app.goo.gl/g9B7nH39ZbJV8HNv9

It's not an exaggeration to say this is the only kind of rolling stock on this line (except for the Minuetto, the older generation, with 2 coaches less and no cool LED headlights, but they will be gone soon(tm)).

Now, surely there are cooler and more picturesque lines in Italy, why would you pick a Suburban line in a kinda-unknown city in southern italy??

First and foremost, one of the stops in 15 minutes away from my home, so I know it very well and I don't want to suggest lines I don't know very much about.

Second, it would be an "easy" introduction to the Italian world for foreigners, I see it like: here's line similar to the RT line (also the train is quite similar), so you know about how the train will behave, you know what to expect, but with the italian safety systems, which is a bit different from others.

First, it's not as easy as the British one, which only tells you when to look out of the window to see a rail side signal, it's similar to the PZB.

SCMT (Sistema Controllo Marcia Treno):
    Roughly translate into: System to Control the Train (Movement?).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistema_Controllo_Marcia_Treno

Here is a link if someone is interested.

I think the chances of it getting into TSW are very slim, but at least I tried.
    If you red all this wall of text, thank you and have a great day.

Sorry for any mistakes

Edit 2: for Any reference, photo, sounds, ecc... as I said, I live near the route sooo

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Non sono per niente contro il vostro proposto; in tanto, qualsiasi linea italiana sarebbe benvenuto. Communque, essendo un tifoso dei treni merci, mi piacerebbe più una soluzione che comprenderebbe anche quella possibilità. Speriamo bene!

[I'm not at all opposed to your proposal; on the whole, any Italian line would be welcome. However, being a fan of freight trains, a solution that also includes that possibility would please me more. Let's hope!]

• Like Like x 1
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

È che è molto più semplice solo un elettrotreno per iniziare, comunque anche a passeggeri, basta che fanno la 464 e già con l' intero parco locomotori siamo praticamente apposto.
    Comunque sono d'accordo qualunque cosa italiana sarebbe fantastica

//EN

The fact is, Just adding one EMU is much easier , anyway, for our regional trains, they only have to make the Class 464 (E464) and they got the whole of our regional train loco fleet covered.
    Anyway anything italian would be awesome

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tazz71go

Tazz71go Member

Italy is all beautiful, from north to south. We have the five lands, one of the most visited and loved places in the world, we have the cities of art, we have Venice the city on the lagoon, Sicily and Sardinia. We have Rome, which was the capital of the largest empire in Europe. Here I think that if Italy ended up in a train simulator like TSW the others would probably become much more passionate than the usual UK, Germany, USA routes. That's why we will never see it!

• Like Like x 1