Some Small Improvements For German Electric Locos

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TRAXX-Driver, Nov 15, 2019.

1. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

Not really somthing that has to be troubleshooted, but I think it fits better here than elsewhere.

I have a few suggestions for a more realistic behaviour of german electric locos in terms of their pantographs. Usually the rear pantograph is used, but in some cases the one at the front has to beraised instead. This has to be done when:

• the wagon behind the loco is a tank wagon
    • the wagon behind the loco is a car transport wagon
    • the train is double headed. In this case the first loco has to raise the front pantograph, the second one uses it's rear pantograph, unless one of the cases mentioned above occurs.
    • in push-pull operation always the rear pantograph in direction of travel is used
    If I am the driver I can easily do what's right. But I would like to see AI do the right things aswell. Maybe DTG can make that happen, I would appreciate that.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

This is something I've starting doing when driving the German locos too since MSB released.

One question, what happens on a double head with a tank or car transport, what do you do with the second loco?

3. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

In this case the second loco also has to use the front pantograph (maybe I wasn't clear enough in my third point). Generally speaking the front pantograph has to be used if the first wagon is a tank wagon or loaded with sensitive goods. Also if behind the leading loco there is another loco of any kind or a control car. And of course if the rear pantograph is broken.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Good point. I've been told for flammable goods (coal for example), the front one is used as well.

All of this of course assuming it's not a multi-system engine where you can't freely choose the pantos. (185.5 etc.)

5. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

Are each of the four pantographs of the 185.5 assigned to one specific operating area? I thought the inner and the outer ones were pairs of the same.

6. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Hmm... good question. You're the TRAXX driver :D
    I wouldn't even be suprised if both versions existed, considering how many "country packs" you can buy when you order one of these Traxxes. So don't quote me on that... O:)

7. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

As far as I know the only difference between the pantographs is the shape as adaptation to meet the requirements in specific countries, e.g. Switzerland. The electrical part should work with any of the pantographs.

8. loader.tom

loader.tom Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn't think this suggestion needed a different thread altogether, it's related to the German locomotives.

I've noticed on TSW, with the 185.2 / 185.5. The sound of the traction motors seems to be controlled by the speed of the loco / train rather than the use of the "Throttle". Which is fine with AI trains, but when as the player you cut the throttle to 0%, the motors should also cut off as heard with the BR 422 unit for example. It's not a huge bug, but it annoys me a bit!

• Like Like x 1
  9. loader.tom

loader.tom Member

This video here shows what I mean. Also, the in cab rail joint sounds are much louder in real life as heard in that video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1