PC Main-spessart Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by adamant365, Jan 16, 2020.

1. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

Hello All,
    I have a few questions regarding Main-Spessart operations:
    1. If a main signal indicates a speed restriction, when am I cleared from that restriction to return to track speed? The manual just says "from this signal." But for how long?
    2. In the real world, what is the passenger door process? I gather that upon arriving, the doors are unlocked first with the knob and then opened with the "Open" toggle. But when done loading, is the door switch toggled closed first before locking, or is the lock knob simply moved to the "Lock All" position?
    3. Brake usage...when stopped at a station, are the train brakes left on until departure or are they released during loading? I've been applying the direct brake to hold the train then releasing the train brakes during loading to speed up the process slightly, but is this a correct procedure? EDIT: What does the the "Brake Release" toggle switch do?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

3. loader.tom

loader.tom Member

With 3, I use the train brake to stop the train, then apply the direct brake fully, then release the train brake. I've definitely seen that in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

1: Speed restrictions end with the next signal or the end of the switches area. Plus the length of your train, of course.

2: The knob to select the door side should be used as you approach the platform, it will play the "exit left" or "exit right" announcements to the passengers. Then as you come to a stop, use the lever to open the doors and turn the knob back to closed so it's in a neutral position for the next stop.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

3. Depend on loco type. Modern locos (BR 146) have automatic brakepipe pressure drop when doors are open so train brake lever can be put to RELEASE. On older locos (BR 143) train brake can be released and train secured with direct brake. On longer passenger trains is better to let train brake at minimal setup to avoid wagon movement, the compressed train can expands after release of brakes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

Fantastic answers. Thanks folks!

Does the "Brake Release" toggle switch have any function in TSW? I can't seem to figure out what it does.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello There!

1. Until you completely clear the "Naheliegenden Weichenbereich". This means that if the signal is in front of some junctions, the speed restriction only applies to those junctions. You're cleared to accelerate to line speed dictated via the Lf7's. Notice that white triangle speed boards are considered Zs3's so the same is true for those (signal mounted or not). Should no curve/junction/crititcal strech of track follow, maintain the speed indicated until the next signal.

2. In real the knob determines which doors can be opened by the button on the door. The white knob is only used to force the doors closed. Though this is not properly modeled, in TSW you should first select, then click open. In real life you won't not click the white button, rather let the passengers open the doors themselves. The doors would just need to be closed via the white button.

3. Depends on the train you have and the situations. Trains stationary for longer periods of time are usually halted by the handbrake. Loco-led trains at stations are usually held in stations by setting the usual brakes in minimal application. When you're driving loco only, you use the direct brakes. Also when halted at longer times at stations you often use direct brakes. EMUs will always auto-apply brakes when halted, since they use dynamic braking which is not capable of completely stopping the train. I don't know the exact function of the brake release in the cab car, but if I remember correctly from the times that I was at DB, it serves as a security key so that someone doesn't waste all the air in the tanks of a potentially unpowered cabcar. Thus you need a key to unlock the brakes in the cab cars.

On flat ground release the brakes fully prior to applying power. On an incline, release the brakes until a very low setting, apply power and very shortly after release the brakes. This has the purpose of preventing a potential rollback.

Hope I helped.
    Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Cheers,
    Prof

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. seifert.f

seifert.f New Member

Hello everyone,

I find TSW much more interesting than TS, the Main Spessart route was very well done
    now to the route Main Spessart, I also have a question when will the extension Würzburg Ost come, with the NSB route for the ICE fast-driving route, the Spessart ramp has also been converted since 2017, now that I myself am a developer working with 3ds Max could also build the arch bridge for them at Hösbach via the A3, the Laufach-Hain, Schwarzkopftunnel will hardly be used anymore even at the Natenbach curve, because I could use the ICE of the NSB in, they have already built it has nice bow below, it was mentioned that etv Main Spessart Würzburg Ost will someday update I would welcome it

greetings
    Frank

• Like Like x 1
  9. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! Maybe you misunderstood which "Brake Release" toggle I'm speaking of. There is a switch located next to the sander on the control desk of the MSB locomotives called "Brake Release":
    upload_2020-1-30_15-24-52.png
    I drew a red box around it from this real cab picture. That's the one I can't seem to figure out. It's present in TSW and is movable, but I can't seem to find a function for it. What you're describing sounds like the "Brake Key" which is present in the cab car.

Maybe I'm the mistaken one. Either way, thanks again for the reply.

10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Have you tried this button after an emergency braking with veeeery long freight?

11. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

I will give that a try. I know with the auto carrier on MSB, it responds fairly well to the overcharge button after a stop. But those auto carriers still seem to have hanging brakes for quite a while after a stop. I'll give the Brake Release toggle a try next time I'm running it.

• Like Like x 1