Brittish Rail Class 802

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by microdune, Jan 8, 2020.

1. microdune

microdune New Member

Hello,
    I would like to make a suggestion to add British Rail Class 802 to the GWR train list. It is the newest train in the GWR fleet. It is also an upgrade from the class 43 trains, I just think this train will be good for the GWR DLC and it might make more people buy the DLC.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  2. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

A GWR IET and 57 sleeper pack maybe?
    Great if DTG could get a licence.

3. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

And class 387

4. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Folks, again: the GWE in TSW is not electrified. The cantenary is still unfinished and under construction. There will never be any electric traction on that route. Suggesting the class 387 every second week isn't going to change that. ;)

• Like Like x 5
  5. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

True dat

6. callumgrainger135

callumgrainger135 New Member

Dont like change,old things are better,being simpilar to understand,operate and repair,out with the new in with the old.

7. thearkerportian

"Simpilar" to understand? Well how about getting "samartar" instead of requesting the world to stop for those who can't keep up?

Though I'd happily take a slave or two if we go back to past customs. Those household chores are so... taxing...

• Like Like x 1
  8. callumgrainger135

callumgrainger135 New Member

Fact,there were simpilar end of.

9. thearkerportian

That's not the claim I've rejected. Though, come to think of it, they weren't. Just less computerized. Meaning, easier to comprehend for people who rely solely on their senses and not their mind to understand the world they live in. The concepts of internal combustion engines and brake systems haven't changed all that much since... whatever era you have in mind. And if we go back even further than that...

[​IMG]
    You call this simple? Really?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The concept of a steam engine is simple.

My two cars are over 30 years old, both easy to repair if they break down and do not cost you £80 at an auto electricians to have them plugged into a laptop just to tell you what the fault is or leave you stranded at the side of the road because a sensor tells the cars computer to shut down.

We have created a throw away society because modern equipment is made so cheaply it is easier to throw it away than mend and re-use. I have just replaced the 43 year old timer on my boiler, the plastic Chinese made one it has been replaced by doesn't feel like it will last ten years!

Not sure in every way we are living in a better society.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The concept is, but the realisation of operating one efficiently & safely is less so. They take more manpower longer to get the same results and have inherent safety risks which other motive forms do not (introducing yet more manpower and efficiency issues)

That's not to say that we should automatically get rid of things which are no longer useful in some form, but there are much better ways of powering mass transit systems.

12. theorganist

Well I certainly wasn't suggesting we go back to the steam engine!

• Like Like x 1
  13. thearkerportian

"We have created a throw away society."

Objection, your honor! We have? I certainly haven't. I was born into such a society that generations before have created... the same generations that typically complain how everything is so shallow and cheap and "not real" nowadays. Just saying. It wasn't my generation that did away with most brass, glass, wood, ceramics, vinyl and probably much more (even cotton and wool!) in favour of plastic, plastic, and more plastic or with wooden furniture in favor of pressboard, or with mechanical solutions for things done inside integrated circuits today. In computers, telephones, vehicles of any kind, all sorts of household appliances, pretty much everywhere. When I got to an age of making my own purchase decisions, all that had existed, and most of it for several decades.
    And I'm not blaming these older generations either, most of these have very obvious and even more worthwhile advantages. It seemed a good idea at the time and in most cases it was. Ever tried to run Windows 10 on a Commodore? Or TSW? (Spoiler: Don't!)
    Where I do get agitated though is when older people complain about my generation continuing the processes they themselves have started. You've killed corner shops because the discounter and the mall were more convenient, and I'm now contributing my own part to it by shopping online. Or not at all. I never even had any car or driver's license.
    And if, for sake of argument, we assume older generations have come to the conclusion that all that progress was not so good after all and a mistake in some places... they aren't exactly going back to their old Mini Coopers, Beetles, or at least early 90's Mitsubishis either, are they? Plenty of those still available, so that's not what's keeping them from doing it. Yet, I put it to you that rather the very opposite is true, it's precisely these that you commonly see driving around in the largest most gas guzzling SUVs and stuff.

As for re-using items and just keeping them in service: Nothing's wrong with that. My MP3 player from the discounter is over 10 years old now, some buttons are not working right anymore, the lid of the battery compartment went missing at some point, but other than that it still works fine, why replace it? Most household items from furniture to silverware, pots and crockery... that's still the same that I had scavenged at fleamarkets back when I got my first apartment in late teenage years. And the record holder no doubt: The German-English dictionary I use in case I come across a word I don't know when I'm reading a book (and the PC is already off for the night)... that was printed in '86. 1886, that is.
    In other cases, new inventions are simply too good to miss out. Digital cameras over film, just one example.

In concept, more or less anything is simple. From steam and gas engines to electricity to lasers and cybertech. It's the details that make making rockets, well, rocket science.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  14. theorganist

I wasn't blaming a particular generation, and you don't even know what generation I am from! The use of the word 'we' implies I have been as complicit in this as the next person.

However I have always tried to re-use where possible. Technology in the past lasted longer, probably by dint of not being manufactured with cheaper materials. The first fridges, washing machines and cookers I remember lasted for my complete childhood. In millenium year we still had a 1970's cooker and a nearly 20 years old Hotpoint washing machine we have had three washing machines since then. My current digital washing machine which is little over ten years old is showing signs of being on its last legs.

I am not against modern technology, I embrace it for most things, but things used to be made to last (whether they were intended to or not) now they aren't, you see scrap yards of near spotless cars which have ended up there due to some major electrical fault rendering them uneconomical to repair and even relatively new trains seem to be destined for the scrap yard.

Anyway I am sure this is going widely off topic!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  15. microdune

microdune New Member

Isn't the British Rail Class 802 Diesel + Electric so It can run on diesel?

16. theorganist

Yes it is so it could be released for GWE, would add some extra variety especially as it isn't realistic having all the GWR green HST's

17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't think this is accurate really... Mostly I believe that the people buying them were from the "make do and mend" generations (think those around in the war eras) and generally things back then were able to be mended more easily. No sealed units, computer controls etc. Everything was a single motor and belts you could change with a flat head screw driver and a spanner.
    New hoovers, washing machines and cars are all computer controlled and you almost need a computer science degree to fix a lot of things.

You also have to remember that technology advances cumulatively. When the low pressure boiler was produced that's all there was. Too bi and cumbersome to have in a moving vehicle, so steam trains couldn't be built. Then we had high pressure steam (held back by patents from low pressure) but once that was green lighted it was great. Only when internal combustion came along was there any advance.
    Same is true of washing machines, cars etc etc
    The level of technology is limited by the next big advance, and in many cases there either isn't one, or it's quashed by the major players" in that industry. An example is lean burn petrol and diesel engines which extract much more efficiently than standard internal combustion, but it was killed by big oil. They want people to burn more of their product, so want to disparage and kill anyone that stops them earning profit.

So yeah, goes back to the point of "advancement for advancement's sake" isn't the greatest, but it's not always as simple as "don't throw everything out either"

Off topic maybe, but interesting as well

• Like Like x 2