Tsw: Explore The Coastway!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 12, 2019.

1. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

There’s a lot of opinions around long and short routes. But there’s a lot of time and dedication. Faster doesn’t mean better and shorter doesn’t mean longevity.

It is a real catch 22, but attention spans are a factor too, if you can watch a two hour youtube video of someone gaming, surely a hobby which is as good as this deserves that same attention. I think excuses like variety if its longer aren’t necessarily true; there can be a lot more to do if there’s haulage to drop off at various yards instead of one

• Like Like x 3
  2. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

I think longer routes are an advantage even if you prefer running shorter services - part of the problem with things like RT is that every service is basically the same (which is admittedly probably a realistic aspect of a well-run railway...). The trouble isn't so much that an individual service can only be half an hour, but that overall there's only an hour of unique gameplay (there, and back).

Some of my favourite routes for TS20XX are things like Weardale and South London, which have a high overall track length, but any individual run is unlikely to be much of an hour. However the network nature of it gives lots of varied stuff to do. I think they probably know this and look to have been trying to include alternate branches in the recent routes.

Even a linear but long route provides options for variety that short route, providing there's intermediate destinations that make sense.

So - yes - I'm not sure route length is something that only benefits people who want to drive for 2hrs at a time.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I agree with you I myself look like to see longer routes with more to do. Examples are building a train in one yard then taking it too another yard, then break it down and deliver the cars to their industries. Pick any empty cars from the industries and bring them back to the yard to make a new train to go back. Other options like loading a grain train at one end then bring it to the terminal for unloading, same with Sulphur, Potash, Coal and intermodals.

• Like Like x 3
  4. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Definitely Micheal, Im just so keen, like many, to see what can be done when a third party can spend a non contractual length of time building a route, with an engine proven to handle 60FPS without a scratch - MSTS even could do London Waterloo to Weymouth with Branch lines to Alton & Weybridge, but with the cost of one activity loaded at a time - yes it will get there, but I hope 2020 brings a lot more

• Like Like x 2
  5. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Make 200 Kilometer for the DB ICE train with driving like 300 km/h and you’re also really fast at the final station like under 2 Hours.

Rhein-Ruhr Osten or East Coastway are really boring to drive with only 30 Kilometer and finished under 35 minutes

• Like Like x 1
  6. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Of course I won’t lie to you that I will not say no for ECW going further but DTG thinks for a majority of people I mean if only dozens of people want longer DLCs then their wish won’t be heard

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

We will probably see longer routes when the editor comes out and other third party developers who maybe don't work full time as a creator develop routes and maybe if DTG manage to develop routes quicker either by new processes (I have no experience of it so I don't feel qualified to comment any more than that) or putting more personnel into route building. However judging by the gap in releasing routes, if routes were 100 miles long then we would possibly only see half the routes per year and therefore that is less revenue to DTG which means less money put into the sim to develop it.

No doubt until the above is realised we will still have people saying that a) routes are short because of consoles, b) routes are short because DTG are trying to glean as much money as possible for little effort (only put less nicely), c) the editor isn't coming so there will only short DTG routes in the future.

I agree with the premise that a longer route doesn't mean you have to have long journeys and personally I would like to see more networks of routes but I accept that situation as it is and get plenty of enjoyment out of what is there, others don't that is clear.

I do look forward to a time where routes are longer, where we have more stock, where third party developers are on board but it takes time, look where TS1 has come since the days of Rail Simulator and the early days of Railworks.

8. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I remember the early days of Rail Simulator, where we had an Editor from release and 3rd Party freeware add-ons within days. The good old days.

• Like Like x 4
  9. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Bet but the tools now are even more complex I gather

• Like Like x 1
  10. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

One final factor we’ve overlooked and not to discredit but just to point out, Rail Simulator (TS2XXX) was designed and developed by Kuju and RSDL, Kuju made MSTS, but published by Microsoft. So an editor was part of the overall design and tools were created by the looks of the file structure.

UE4 is self contained, therefore an editor isn’t part of the initial package as we’ve seen but I hope they work this out somehow; but I miss the in house design and all the functionality out of the box, for those who like to edit

11. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify that UE4 includes an editor as part of the UE4 installation however we require a heavily modified version of the standard UE4 editor to enable us to handle the cooked version of the assets available to users on their PCs.

• Like Like x 2
  12. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I already vowed to get all the UK routes and trains because I didn’t buy them for TS2020 until now with the sales on, but the amount of payware needed and then an addon doesn’t work; Im mindful this time with TSW about third party addons because with Just Trains there’s often numerous problems

So far with TSW not a headache just gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Once I'd shaken off the "still no AC electric content" blues, I decided to get this DLC and give it a go.
    Gotta hand it to DTG, South Coastway is superb. I haven't tried it with the driver warning systems on, which I understand has faults. Otherwise, the Electrostar is excellent, the route is actually a good length because there's plenty of distractions along the way such as differing speed limits.

Hopefully a PEP unit will follow to add some variety. Both PEP and Electrostar are useful around the rail network. Hopefully there will be a need for a 357 and/or 387 in TSW in the near future.

Anyway, good work DTG. 9/10 (10 - had it gone to Shoreham or Hastings)

• Like Like x 7
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

East Coastway*

15. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I gotta say that I've gone back to East Coastway and love every second of it. I'm more familiar with the mainline towards London but it would be nice to see some coastal action in TSW one day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm from North of the Thames. Southern Region confuses me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Likewise my man, North all the way, South doesn’t compare lol

18. lukas.ullrich

lukas.ullrich New Member

Please don't know anyone about this feature ? :

Inkedmaxresdefault_LI.jpg

20200113141911_1.jpg

19. Anthony Pecoraro

• Like Like x 1
  20. lukas.ullrich

lukas.ullrich New Member

[QUOTE = "Anthony Pecoraro, příspěvek: 110923, člen: 1440"] Jak k tomu přistupujete? [/ QUOTE]
    LEFT ARROW on keyboard :)

21. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Nothing on that screen is functional apart from the PIS list as far as I’m aware.

• Like Like x 2
  22. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Or you can change you internal cab view to left panal on your controller

EDIT - the SDO isnt functionable but u can part release the doors on your train

23. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

So advertising what may possibly come in future. I hope this will extend to London, Clapham Junction in UE4 shouldn't be an issue, if Jamaica in LIRR can be featured; we can have our Jamaica, Clapham Junction. This is what made me take DTG, then RSC seriously, as it was DTGs first full route for Train Simulator 2020 (if I'm incorrect, kindly correct me, but i am sure this was what made me purchase DLCs for TSxxx)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  24. Digital Draftsman

At peak times Clapham Junction has 180 trains per hour passing through, I can't even see high spec PC's managing that number of trains without significant drop in frame rates, let alone consoles, so it would have to have many trains missing, leaving it feeling dead like Jamaica on LIRR. It's also 50 miles to Lewes from Victoria, which would be the longest TSW DLC, not to mention DTG can't merge routes at the moment, so they'd have to produce it as a seperate DLC with half of ECW included to give the full run. So I can't see it happening.

• Like Like x 1
  25. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Do we have to simulate to the T? Creative licence after all. even TS2020 scenarios don’t schedule to the T, maybe real time for the driver and in and around that time for AI, so you depart at 10:30 the journey to Clapham takes 20 mins but on the way there a train will spawn, Queenstown Road and surrounding lines to simulate a busy area, static trains etc. I think when people say hi end PCs can’t cope, someone’s not built theirs properly (just assuming, or you’re running an Nvidia card which has probably got that dreaded nvlddmkm error)

But really it can be done, just creatively

26. Anthony Pecoraro

LIRR isn’t dead due to FPS.

27. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Well having a rather deserted looking Clapham Junction is better than no Clapham Junction at all. That's how I always see these cases. Be it Paddington, Jamaica, Hagen,...

• Like Like x 5
  28. Maverick_ng

Maverick_ng Active Member

Make sure you see a green light between Moulsecoomb and london road. Now if you get an ambar light then don't cross it till it changes to a clear state (green)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Anthony Pecoraro

Wait at Mouslecoomb two minutes later than your scheduled departure time. You will still make it to Brighton on time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Just speculating, but if TSW included two slightly overlapping routes, would it be possible for a train in a scenario or session for, let's say, part A to reach the last available destination in that part and then have a notification of some kind inform the player that the activity can be continued from the same spot in an activity from part B?

• Like Like x 1
  31. Digital Draftsman

It's possible but there are a lot of hurdles in some cases.

The difficult part would be achieving synchronicity between the services on different routes, as it would mean having some very short services on the route which terminate at a suitable station to continue on the next route. On the current routes many of the services which go off the map terminate at the end of the modelled track where they despawn; So the services would have to be changed to terminate at the last station on the route and then form a seperate service from the last station to the despawn point (for AI purposes,) they would also have to be added to the service menu.

There's also the issue of rollingstock, as the same rollingstock would need to be bundled with each route to allow the services to continue, for example RSN and RRO share Hagen as a common station, but each route comes with different rollingstock, so service continuation wouldn't be possible.

Provided all of the above can be solved, there's no reason each applicable service couldn't have a box which pops up saying 'the continuation of this service is the 1900 X to Y on Route B.'

I don't think DTG put much thought into the matter when they were developing TSW, which is why they are in a bit of a tangle now. The inability to merge routes is yet another feature present in TS2020 which is lacking TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  32. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Sad but true.

• Like Like x 1
  33. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

When will we see additional route add ins for east coastway or the rolling stock that southern also use on east coastway that be nice addition to the class 377

34. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

What does this mean?

CORE
    • Resolved instances of the 'Cab Motion Sway' feature being incorrectly enabled against the player's setting preferences

• Like Like x 1
  35. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

If you turned cab sway off it ignored you and left it on anyway.

36. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yeah i saw it, i removed this Feature but it was all Time on