Tail Lights And Short Platforms

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Zammy Martínez, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Zammy Martínez

Zammy Martínez Active Member

So far in the scenarios the trains have been 8 cars long, forget about ever using 12 because it seems like places like lewes for example is not long enough!
    I havent been there in real life but id like to know what its really like and if the carriages really do struggle to fit

Also, im still the same guy avidly chasing realism and (forgot the word), so how comes the tail lights are not automatically applied, or we cant do it from the quick menu like we used to on previous dlcs?
    I have to run to the back of the train everytime just to put it on, and i know real train fans who are probably more in love with everything trains actively, do the same and wonder why AI trains tail lights are on and ours are not.

2. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Zammy Martínez,

12-car trains do indeed run this route in reality and, where the platform is too short, the trains overhang the platform:

With regard to your quest for realism: tail lights - in the real world the vast majority of British trains need to have their tail lights set manually. They are not automatically set from the forward cab. Instead the driver would walk to the rear of the train during his Static Duties Checklist and set the tail lights appropriately. Train Sim World replicates this.

Naturally, for AI trains, there is no person to carry out the static duties so these are set in the game code as it would essentially be unrealistic for these trains to operate without the lights set accordingly.

Hope this is clear.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Zammy Martínez

Zammy Martínez Active Member

Perfect response.
    I had no choice but to set the tail lights myself anyway, but since ive started doing service mode, ive noticed they are on by themselves
    Strange but true lol

4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m being pedantic but that’s not quite true and it should be set automatically. When you reach the terminus station, the driver will get immobilisation time. E.g. 5 minutes but varies depending on traction, company, etc...
    This immobilisation time includes changing lights over to tail lights so basically by default, lights at each end will always be tail lights. A lot of companies including GWR don’t even require the driver mobilising a set to check the rear cab. It is not the responsibility of the driver mobilising a set to turn tail lights on (unless he/she spots a mistake or if they are remobilising a set- I.e. brought the set and taking the same set back out).

Why does ‘off’ seem to be the default setting? The only time ‘off’ is used in real life is for the intermediate cabs in a multiple formation; even though modern units are configured such that when coupled, exterior lights will automatically go off in the intermediate cabs regardless of position selected in the cab, ‘off’ is selected so that if there is an accidental train division, tail lights won’t come on so platform staff or other drivers going past realise that there has been a train division and thus report it to the signaller. No train lights mean train is ‘incomplete’ which needs reporting urgently.

In summary, in normal circumstances you will almost never go to Paddington (or wherever else in the UK) and see a train without tail lights unless the driver who brought the set in forgot. It is the responsibility of the driver who brings the set in to set the tail lights, take key out, etc.... If you want to make it like realistic, the tail lights SHOULD automatically be set unless you’re bringing the set and taking the same set back out. Even when auxiliaries aren’t set at a depot or stabling point, one tail light instead of two will be illuminated.

Personally, I think this is a non-issue really but I don’t agree with what you’ve said.

edit: apologies as I realise this is a month old thread but someone referenced it today

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. loader.tom

loader.tom Member

The taillights should be set by the previous driver though.