New York Central Equipment

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by NEC Railfan, Jan 30, 2020.

1. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

The New York Central System was formed in 1853 and lasted until 1968 when the Pennsylvania RR merged with it to become Penn Central.

Throughout this time, many different kinds of Locomotives and rolling stock ran the NYCS.

Steam Locomotives:
    - G class of NYC consolidation (2-8-0). The NYC had hundreds of those.
    - Class L Mountain 4-8-2s, or Mohawks as the Central called them. There are 2 preserved, #2933 and #3001.
    - Perhaps the Class H Mikado 2-8-2s, they were mainstays on the system as well.
    - A Pacific 4-6-2, maybe a K-11 or K-14.
    And last but not least, the class S NYC Niagaras! They were a class of postwar 4-8-4s that is arguably considered one of the best classes steam locomotives ever built, and even worked better than their diesel replacements, but unfortunately, all of them fell to the scrappers' torch. :(

Diesel Locomotives:
    Not much to say here, as most of the NYC diesels are 3rd party reskins. But perhaps:

- An FM C-liner.
    - A Lima 800 or 1000 hp switchers. Most of these were exclusively for the Central.
    - A Baldwin RP-210. These guys were one of the most interesting diesels built IMO. Built for the Xplorer train-set and the NH Dan'l Webster, they were intended to bring customers back, but it instead drove them away. They were extremely unreliable, and the passenger cars were light and rattly since they were made of stainless steel. The NYC RP-210s soon earned the nickname "Xploders" and what the NH crews called their train is unmentionable. :\ It'd be very awesome to see what the RP-210s could give in terms of funny scenarios.

Electric Locomotives and Multiple Units:
    NYC had a fleet for operations around Grand Central, where steam fumes are banned and diesel inside the tunnels. Some locomotives also served in Cleveland due to restrictions on steam there.

- The S-Motors. These guys had a 1-D-1 wheel arrangement. They were originally built for NYC premier trains, but were soon were assigned to commuter passenger trains after more powerful locomotives like the T-Motors came. The one axle pilot and trailing arrangement proved unstable in ride quality and the locomotives gained two more axles. (2-D-2) They lasted until the late 1960s and even early 70s before being supplanted by M1 and ACMU rail cars. 1 survives, the prototype, #100 (6000) is preserved in Albany, awaiting restoration.
    - The T-Motors: These were built to take those premier passenger trains that the S-motors had been built for before. They had a more flexible B-B+B-B wheel arrangement. They lasted until 1971-73 before New Haven FL9s took their place. 1 is also preserved, #278, also in Albany.
    - The P-Motors: They were built for Cleveland for use in electrified tunnels and passenger trains, similar to the setup in NYC. Electrification in Cleveland ended in the 50s and diesels took their place, most were moved to NY and ended their careers here. None were preserved.
    - The R-Motors: They were built for freight service as a result of the Kaufman Act, banning steam locomotive use in NYC. They survived until the 50s when diesels took over and the freight lines in New York City were de-electrified. Most Rs went to the South Shore RR in the Midwest, none were preserved either.

Now for EMUs:
    - The ACMU, built for declining passenger service in the 50s, these guys handled most commuter trains on the Hudson and Harlem lines alongside the M1/M3 cars. They were replaced by the M7 in 2004. 2 are preserved in Connecticut.
    - An actual M1/M3.
    Yes, I've heard about the new M2/M4 DLC. But what about the Hudson Line? The M1/M3s were built in the late 60s - early 80s to replace NYC-era equipment. The M1s have been retired alongside the ACMUs in 2004. The M3s continue in Metro-North service, but are under threat by new M9 rail cars. Perhaps Reppo could remove the pantos and dynamic brake humps on the roofs of the M2s and convert them to M1s and M3s?

Well, there you have it. A large list of locomotives I want for TS.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I live only a few minutes from the ex NYC "Water Level Route". Being a huge railroad in american railroading history, some New York Central equipment is definitely needed. Maybe even a whole route for the NYC!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Digital Railroading has been working on some NYC freeware recently if you want to check that out. https://digitalrailroadingco.powweb.com/dr/
    They have a J3A Hudson, some lightweight passenger cars, and some pacemaker boxcars. They also have a steam era route in the works!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. NEC Railfan

Yep, I've owned the J3a Hudson since its release. (The most beautiful and well-done freeware locomotive for railworks). Thank you to Darlan Gomes for a beautiful locomotive, I look forward to your E6s and H10.

Yeah, I'm also following the Water Level Route. I was actually asked by one of the developers if I wanted to help as well, but alas I had to decline. School is more important right now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  5. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I had thought about creating my own Water Level Route, but, same thing, not enough time with school in the way.

6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd want the Dreyfuss J3a Hudsons, the Empire State Express Hudson, and the Commodore Vanderbilt. I like the idea of the NYC Fairbanks-Morse C-Liners as well. We absolutely need the Niagaras and Mowhawks, too.

7. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't think the steam locomotives and diesels would be able to run on any route we have now, however the electrics could, of course, run on the Hudson Line. Hopefully if the T-Motors and P-Motors and some of the NYC's old EMUs could be made if the route was set in the 30s. The only problem is that the Hudson Line isn't set in that time period and a lot of work would have to be done to backdate it, but I've seen some routes that have gotten so many modifications for backdating that it's probably possible.

8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It is kind of disappointing that the only NYC content we have officially ATM is the Marketplace RF-16 reskin.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

And it's not even a licensing thing is it?

10. DSGDDR

DSGDDR New Member

11. NEC Railfan

12. Skankhunt42

Skankhunt42 New Member

PennCentral670 on Steam built the NYC Water Level route from Croton Harmon to MP142 just north of Albany-Rensselaer as an extension of the original Hudson Line :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. marksanfil

marksanfil New Member

I would absolutely love a New York Central S-motor electric. Backdating the electric zone would be awesome, but I would be perfectly happy running it on the version we have as well. I can't imagine electric locomotives are terribly difficult to make, are they?

14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

As long as there is enough reference materials for it, both exterior and cab shots.

• Like Like x 1