Completing Harmer's Steelworks Shift No. 1 Scenario

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Jan 22, 2020.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Well, I'm just stumped. I can get through tasks 1 to 4 of this ingenious scenario (available at Steam - TSW - Community), but task 4 stumps me because the engine simply cannot push those 12 loaded steel bar wagons (yes, I released all the brakes) as up the 1.3% grade to Lockenby South Siding no. 5.
    How about a clue, Harmer?

2. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

Try changing the brakes type in the rear cab. Change it to vaccum freight and then should be ok.

3. LastTrainToClarksville

I'll give that a go -- thanks for the tip. You do mean in the rear of the cab, don't you? In activities I've run previously, only the goods vans needed the second brake type.

4. LastTrainToClarksville

Nope! The Class 08 has three brake types: Air, Light Engine, and Vacuum. When first picked up, the driven engine's brakes are set on Air. I resumed the scenario at my save point, with the engine coupled to 12 loaded steel bar wagons with their handbrakes released. About 3/4 of the way to the destination track, the gradient changes from 0% to 1.3% and the train, running at the limit of 10 mph, gradually begins to slow until it stops completely. There is no other route to the destination track, but Harmer must have been able to complete his own scenario. Splitting the 12 wagons into two batches would be possible, but the instructions do not allow for that and Harmer's instructions are always clear and specific.

I remain bamboozled!

5. LastTrainToClarksville

I realize that I'm just talking to myself here, but I did try splitting the loaded steel wagons consist into two cuts of 6 wagons each and that looked like it would do the trick. However, just as I approached the destination track that most deadly of scenario-crushing messages popped up: "You have reached the end of the represented area"!

So, I have no choice but to suspect that Harmer never actually gave his own scenario a complete test run. Shame on him if this is the case.

6. LastTrainToClarksville

Just for the sake of thoroughness, the scenario has disappeared from the Guides section of Steam/TSW2020. I hope this means that Harmer is revising it -- it's too well done just to discard.