Narrow-gauge Preserved Steam Railways Like Tallyn

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by D J JAMY, Oct 4, 2019.

1. D J JAMY

D J JAMY New Member

Maybe you could do a packed with multiple small narrow gauge preserved Steam railways and a selection of locos from each. these runs aren't very long and are normally quite simple with only the occasional passing loop and normally just a single track it would be quite fun to trundle about in a locomotive like dolgoch and passing my favourite little campsite on the way to abergynolwyn

• Like Like x 3
  2. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

narrow gauge would be cool anyway! If DTG manages to create steam engines, this might be a route to start on... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. D J JAMY

D J JAMY New Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe dovetail games have already managed to make steam locomotives in a previous game surely wouldn't be too difficult to implement them into to train sim world?
    Also please excuse any typos and dictating

4. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

They have in TS, but TSW is a whole different game engine with its own quirks, methods and limitations. I'm sure they'll get there eventually though.

I rode the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad in Colorado on my honeymoon and loved it. The scenery was spectacular and the trains were awesome. Was great being able to see the whole train as it curved round the tight mountain bends too. Would love to have a go at driving it on TSW. 45 miles might be a bit much for them to model though, and there wasn't all that much to do in between the two towns!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. D J JAMY

D J JAMY New Member

My god those locos are huge for narrow gauge, when I think narrow gauge I think small industrial locos that used to work quarries and the occasional passenger route, there are some Garrett locos working the Welsh Highland I think but those look like standard gauge locos reworked to fit narrow gauge. Impressive things, God I do love narrow gauge LOL

6. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

I have a couple of images of the route @DJJAMY is talking about:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you can see, the trains are very small and the scenery looks fantastic. If steam engines will ever be a thing in TSW, please DTG, take this route. The trains look also great.

• Like Like x 4
  7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

It's Talyllyn (not Tallyn). ;)

I'd love it. I have many happy memories of holidays in Tywyn and trips on the railway.
    It would be interesting if they could include a early version of the route that had you taking slates from the quarry up at Nant Gwernol down to be unloaded at the wharf at Twywn.

And it was/is the first preserved railway in the World! Here is some of its history.

Here's some live webcams showing parts of the route. Not quite so active at this time of year though (October).

And I believe it's already available for the original TrainSim.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. D J JAMY

D J JAMY New Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they were nothing like the little ones you'd expect. I guess the Americans have a different perspective on things! These are the engines.

They looked properly menacing sat together in Silverton waiting for the return leg.

• Like Like x 1
  10. D J JAMY

D J JAMY New Member

I see they were put together by Baldwin, of course they were seems most impressive or odd locos were. You ever seen the articulated garratt locomotives, they also started off in some odd gauge and ended up in standard narrow gauge here's the wiki page https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garratt

• Like Like x 1
  11. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The Durango and Silverton and the Cumbres and Toltec need to be made. We need steam in TSW.

12. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Dollywood-Train-PigeonForge-Attraction-26.jpg There's a beautiful narrow gauge engine in an amusement park near me. Though the distance is only a couple miles sadly. Though this thing is massive compared to the narrow gauge your talking about, it's quite a bit smaller than most of our steam engines.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ruthvik.stephanos

ruthvik.stephanos New Member

You ever seen the articulated garratt locomotives, they also started off in some odd gauge and ended up in standard narrow gauge here's the wiki page

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020