PC New Route Teaser-answer Found!?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Feb 5, 2020.

1. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Watch them reuse the engine from the CAL route for the engine for VIA

2. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Another commuter services what is the commuter service?

3. nne4229

4. nne4229

Oh the disappointment... reused engine.. nothing powerful like a mac or the others...

• Like Like x 1
  5. nne4229

So... typical 20-25 mile route... re-used rolling stock and a slightly new engine but not really. And useless train stations. This is sorta the Heavy Haul for console players...

• Like Like x 2
  6. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Welcome back! I was wondering what happened to you.

7. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Agreed we need a update everyone is going stir crazy over this new route more info please

8. nne4229

New route? You mean new disappointment?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Neat. Nice to see GP9RM's in. I'll be welcoming a 567 into the sim; I've been getting bored of the 645's (GP38, GP40, SD40, F40, MP36).

Also glad to see switching and transfers. Although I am concerned about the route length, as the timetable lists it as 17.9 miles, making it the shortest route by far. We'll see?

Real world information on the route: http://www.niagararails.com/oakville.phtml

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

It seems we're getting closer and closer to that mark.

• Like Like x 2
  11. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

The route is about 23 miles, I think from the pictures and description this route looks amazing. If we are delivering to local industries and switching then I don’t have a problem with the length. I’m sure there will be plenty of services with different tasks that will keep everyone happy. I wanted a USA route based around freight and the fact that they ventured into Canada has me excited for the rest of the year.

• Like Like x 6
  12. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I wanted a USA route as well like Metro north or Norfolk southern.

13. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

We've noticed.

Personally, as a true-blooded American that has only been to Canada once, I don't care which country gets it, as long as it's North American railroading. The Canadian and American practices are close enough that it's almost the same working environment. Actually kinda glad to see a bit of our upstairs neighbors; I'd been getting a little tired of seeing Cajon Pass in its fifteenth iteration, and Canada's such a pretty country when it comes to scenery.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

I'm glad to see a new freight centric route vs. freight attached to what is primarily a commuter route or no freight at all.

Now if we can just get freight routes long enough or varied enough to make them feel real, not just short hauls with short trains. But that conversation has already been beat to death. Not likely to happen. Regardless, happy to see the new route.

• Like Like x 2
  15. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Sorry but whether it’s more a switching route or not, 20 miles or so is not worth £24.99. I hope DTG don’t think every route should be around 20-30 miles in length because they’re wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Michael Newbury

I am happy that we are getting a Canadian freight route and it does have some of things I was looking for in a new route. Minor draw back is the recycled assets. What I am not happy about is the length of the route I feel it is too short it needs to be longer, I just feel a shorter route holds no real value or enjoyment.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Threads such as this are such a hoot!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

This route looks amazing! I already preordered it!
    It’s focused on switching and there are big yards to play with.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

A freight-centric North American route is exactly what i wanted (especially since i play on Xbox so no HH).

Trackside detail is continuing to improve with each release and i personally enjoy the "rust belt" setting as that's what i grew up with watching trains., i do agree only 1 new loco is a disappointment.

Personally i think this one will live or die based on the quality and variety of scenarios (fingers crossed for a free switching scenario) and especially the timetable services. I know they try to stick pretty close to real timetables- anyone know what's prototypical on Oakville sub?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

To me, switching/shunting is like pulling all the socks out of the dryer and pairing them.
    No thanks
    *if* there's some local industry moves im fine w that but a giant yard or 2 with 2 engines just to build trains ? Why?
    The gp9 looks interesting, the locale is nice, but a route just for switching? Legit sad about it

Bring on the MP36 i reckon

• Like Like x 1
  21. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Well, there's always TS2020. Im fairly new to TS but WOW,Im absolutely in love with the Marias Pass dlc.
    I would certainly never compare a route like that to our latest dlc but I do find myself in a dilemma of sorts.

In many ways this is the type of dlc many of us have been asking for but i am concerned about the route length being low
    on the priority list.
    And please, you dont have to illustrate how enjoyment of a route is based on your "actual" task, not how long it takes to "complete" the task.
    Also is Dovetail listening to its consumer base? There have been quite a number of people asking for more powerful locos
    as well as more variety in regards to task being completed.
    Im not going to complain about this dlc as it would be pointless and stupid especially considering i haven't even played it yet.
    But after playing some of the routes that feature freight trains on TS2020, im left with the thought,

Should I even care? Am I seeing TSW grow? (and by grow, i don't mean a 20-23 mile route every few months). And what direction do the devs REALLY want TSW to go?

All interesting questions.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this dlc for sure. Im sure on the 20th you guys will give us all the lodown on this route.

I hope its good. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Michael Newbury

This was part of what I was wanting too see in the next new route, but I also wanted length like CSX HH has in length. Being able to bring a train down the line into the yard. From there your next services would be to break the train down and deliver to the various industries. Also putting a train together and taking it back down the line. Either way I have pre-ordered myself and hopes I find it worth the value for it's shortness.

I remember Matt saying on a stream that they had found a way to make longer routes in less time, but that appears to have been not true otherwise this would have been a longer route with a lot more to do.

• Like Like x 2
  23. max88183

max88183 Active Member

Wrong. Matt specifically mentioned that they wanted to do a freight route that was centred around switching. We can always see a portion of this route be used for a GO Train route like LIRR and NEC.

24. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Yes. The first long route I spent any time on in Train Simulator was the Marias Pass DLC. It is 152 miles long with a 13 mile branch line to Kalispell for transfer/switching work. It takes 3 hours to get from one end to the other. Some scenarios were actually full route, 3 hours long, but most were broken down into chunks where you could complete one scenario, and play the next one later starting with the same train where you left. This was an enjoyable route, and the model for what I was hoping for in future train sims. Unfortunately, I assume this will never happen in TSW due to game engine limitations.

Marias Pass is one of the older DLC (now listed as a TS Classic) and not even available for purchase anymore it seems. But it is my favorite of the older TS DLC because of the length and the Northern US mountainous landscape.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Michael Newbury

I am not wrong, yes Matt did say that the new route would be more freight oriented which it is, but it would nice if the route was longer to make the route that much better. Being able to bring the train from destination A to the yard, where you break down the train and deliver to the various industries would be better.

I have watched all of the Dovetail Streams and most of his personal streams, and I remember hearing him say that they had found a way to make longer routes.

To add to this in the quote that you replied does not mention anything about me talking about passenger service.

• Like Like x 2
  26. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Wait do you mean not available for purchase outside the US?
    It was my understanding that non US customers could still buy this but the "BNSF" logo would be absent do to licensing.

Im in the US and i actually bought the "Marias Pass Collection" bundle a week ago.
    I also bought the Amtrak Empire Builder loco as well.

We'll have to see in the future if Dovetail begins to prioritize longer routes over picking up trash and hanging up posters in
    the game environment.

It is a "Train-Simulator" after all, isn't it? ;)

27. Michael Newbury

Yes some routes could be sold worldwide where US customers content came with logo's, and all other got the unbranded version. But this only exists on the new content. Routes such as Marias Pass and Stevens Pass are old routes which were made before the content ban came into effect.

So for now those routes cannot be sold outside the US unless the creators of these routes goes back and makes a unbranded version for the rest of us. Sadly I do not see that happening.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Damm, that stinks. Especially for newcomers to TS2020 like me.

Not trying to be an ass but,.....

GOD Im Glad I Live In AMERICA!

• Like Like x 2
  29. Michael Newbury

I am also one who is feeling the same pinch I would love to have these routes myself but unless someone goes back and creates a unbranded version it will never happen.

30. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can do that.

31. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I agree with you there. I was hoping for the next freight route to have a mixture of both long distance for power, and local plus switcher runs for the more road switchers locos. While this route does have the good opportunity of something completely new and freight-only (Minus the stations that brought in mixed signals from passenger fans). But again, it's a missed shot to have some heavy haulers in CN colors than just more road switchers for locals. As well as another long route to go with it.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

I couldn't find it on Steam. Hmmm..... Looking again..... Oh, there it is!! Sorry. I guess there is so much TS content on Steam (about $10K worth now) that some of it just gets lost every now and then. :)

Wow, I wasn't aware that some routes are not available outside the USA over branding issues. That is disappointing.

33. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

It's routes with BNSF content. I believe they used to have a license with them, then it wasn't renewed or it was removed or something. Something legal. Anyway, it affects routes that not only are BNSF, but are of its subsidiaries too, like the BN and ATSF. That's why the Metra line (who they also don't have licenses for), Raton Pass, and the Hi-Line are available without logos outside of the US. Marias Pass and Stevens Pass aren't available outside of the US, and lines owned by BNSF (Cajon and Surfliner) don't use BNSF equipment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  35. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo on you!

• Like Like x 1
  36. rftech

rftech New Member

Definite buy for me.GPs,North American freight.I hope they have the sidings that service the docks.

• Like Like x 3