Route Idea 'lincoln Hub'

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Peskius, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Peskius

Peskius New Member

Hello~
    I posted this on Train Sim World by mistake when I wanted to make the suggestion for Train Simulator...oops XD
    So lets try this again...
    Hello there.
    First time on the forums. Long time player of Train Simulator, dating all the way back to MS Train Sim back in '98.
    I've often believed this would be a truly great idea for a route.
    Calling it something along the lines of 'The Lincoln Line' you could set Lincoln as the center of multiple major locations in multiple directions.
    Within 90 minutes in any direction there's railway lines leading from Lincoln station too:
    Cleethorpes (Roughly 90 minutes and with 10 stops not including Lincoln and Cleethorpes Stations)
    Nottingham (Just under 60 minutes and with 15 stops between if you include some of the branching lines to large stations like Newark Northgate)
    Sheffield (Morealess 75 minutes with 8 stops between)

I've lived along this route my entire life and have seen the runners along this line change throughout the years.
    Starting early with Sprinters liverys before seeing class 170s and 156's with the cool green Central Trains colours before finally seeing East Midlands Trains arrive on the scene with Class 153's, 156's, 158's, 222's and the London-Lincoln HSTs first thing in the morning, as well as EWS Class 66's along the routes.
    So with driving missions/career you could easily get a large number of jobs, from freight to passenger, with varying ai along the way depending on what year you'd wish to set it.

You'd get Class 153's, 156's, 158's, 170's, 66's, HST's, the old school 142 Pacer and for more recent times the 144. Heck the Tornado is known for making appearances along the line at least once a year.

You'd get fantastic scenery, cool buildings such as Lincoln Castle and Cathedral and towns to ride through.
    Seriously it's absolutely worth considering for a future DLC for the game. I guarentee you wouldn't be disappointed if it were developed in the right hands.
    Here's a google maps picture of the sort of route when combining and showing all 3 major lines you could visit from Lincoln: https://i.imgur.com/JcZMOk4.png
    Lincoln Station HUB train routes.png

[​IMG]
    I hope some of you take a liking to this and agree with me. Feel free to comment on it, up or downvote whatevers, I'm still new here so not all that sure if it's even a thing here honestly. I'll leave a couple of my photos below of what you can find at Lincoln station these days. I hope you like them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DSC_0087.JPG
    DSC_0148.JPG
    DSC_0155.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG

Anyways hope you all enjoy my idea
    Catch you in the comments ^^

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Peskius

Peskius New Member

I just realised the images hadn't worked when moving it over to here so I just had to reupload them. Here ya go ^^

3. Peskius

Peskius New Member

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have you seen the Freeware version of North Lincolnshire?
    It is set in the 1960s but you could set it in any era you wanted - I don't run Steam locos so I changed to stock to Diesel trains
    http://www.lincs-train-sim.co.uk/html/map.html
    You would need to own some Payware routes for the assets to appear

Map_800_for_Jan_2019.jpg

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peskius

Peskius New Member

Yeah I've seen it. Not quite what I was thinking of. Plus while it is a pleasant little mod it's not that great looking compared to a fully fledged dlc

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Ok - you just have to hope it is high on a list to be made.

7. Peskius

Peskius New Member

Believe me I really really am hoping :D

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There does not seem to be much variation for the route set in today's railway
    The passenger trains are 142, 144, 153, 156, 158, 222 & HST or AZUMA on the London trains and the freight would be a 60 or 66.
    Occasionally a diverted ECML train when work is taking place.

What else?

9. Peskius

Peskius New Member

There used to be a DB schenker liveried Class 67 that would pass through Collingham station once a day. Don't know if it still does, I haven't used the railway or been up to Lincoln station since it's revamp.
    You get the occassional steam train run through once a season, could make something of that. Peppercorn Tornado going from Lincoln to Peterborough or York so it could stop at Newark Northgate before you swap to the Creative Rail route. I dunno.
    It's just a nice countryside set of routes with historic city destinations at each end; Plus the seaside if they were to add Grimsby and Cleethorpes.
    I need to wake up early and head on down to Collingham station in the early hours and spend a day just taking photos of what passes through.

10. treid09

treid09 Guest

Looks like a great idea to me.

11. Peskius

Peskius New Member

Thanks ^^
    Yeah I've always thought it'd be a nice addition to the game personally.

OH YEAH
    I didn't know this at the original time but now I've seen that Northern Rail now operates Class 195s between Lincoln and Sheffield as a replacement for the '42 and '44 Pacers, as well as LNER Class 800s now frequenting the route going through Lincoln Central towards places like Grimsby I believe.

12. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

I like your idea it just so happens that I have been travelling to Lincoln central this I did yesterday Friday 7th February 2020 from Newark north gate startion and cos I stayed in Lincoln for 1 night last night and this morning saturday 8th february 2020 travelled on the line from Lincoln to skegness. Now heading from skegness to Grantham.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The LNER services only run to Lincoln Central on a normal day but they work thru non stop when the ECML is closed between Newark and Peterborough and they run via Lincoln, Sleaford and Spalding to Peterborough

My pictures from 2011 before the 800s started
    IMG_5907.JPG IMG_5921.JPG IMG_5926.JPG
    Peter

• Like Like x 1
  14. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

Great idea for a route

15. albinopigeon

albinopigeon Active Member

I agree, this seems fantastic. Excellent operating potential from every walk of railway life in an area of the UK that is unfortunately rather neglected in Steam routes.