Fort William To Inverness (west Highland Line North)

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Scottish Train Girl, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Scottish Train Girl

Scottish Train Girl Member

I know we have the West Highland line South and the Fort William to Mallaig route but why not complete the route from Fort William to Inverness? It is only one of the most scenic routes we have in the UK, in fact the whole line is almost iconic one could say.

Please consider this proposal as I am positive it would be extremely welcomed and popular as would my other suggestion of the rest of the Secml from Dundee to Aberdeen. Another route which I am sure many others would also like to see.

Thankyou.

Stephanie.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. Scottish Train Girl

749006 I think you misunderstood me as I know in the simulator we can only go to Mallaig however in real life you can get to Inverness from Glasgow Queen Street via Fort William. I have rid those trains quite a bit as a young teenager and it truly is one of the most of the beautiful runs in its entirety I have been on. I was suggesting Dovatail consider finishing the whole run

Stephanie

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Scottish Train Girl - with all due respect I think you need a Map.

There are three ways to get from Fort William to Inverness
    [1] Train Fort William to Mallaig, Ferry to Kyle of Lochalsh, Train Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness.
    [2] Drive the 66.2 miles along the A82 - or catch the bus.
    [3] Train Fort William to Glasgow Queen Street, Train Glasgow Queen Street to Inverness via Perth and Aviemore

spirit_of_scotland_travelpass.jpg

Peter

5. Scottish Train Girl

Quite right 749006. My memory seems to be fading. I used to go via Perth, ( used to keep journals of my train runs and went and dug them up) we are taking over 30 years ago after all. Well Dovatail should consider either from Perth or Aberdeen to Inverness, would be a beautiful run and the potential is endless from locals to the Caledonia Sleeper.

Stephanie

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

7. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

I would prefer Glasgow to Inverness, as it makes for a more complete journey. It would also make for a very interesting drive. It's an intercity route through spectacular scenery, but also multiple types of scenery. Lots of train types and at least in the highlands not much changed from steam days, so it could (if you overlook minor details) span multiple decades. It's only disadvantage is that it's point to point, but at least with very different sections.