Frustrating Update Torture

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lightwalker, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Lightwalker

Lightwalker New Member

I play TSW on steam and today I'm having just another neverending update torture. It's been 5 hours now and it looks like it will take one or two hours more(hopefully). If I had the whole game installed from scratch by now it would take less time than this. And by the way it takes incredible amount of space on my disk during this whole process. I never had a problem like this in another game. Also I can't play other games all this while because of lagging.

I'm totally sick and tired of this happening again and again. And I STRONGLY URGE dovetail games to find a solution to this or just leave the game alone. I would prefer no updates rather than this disgrace we're having every time. Shame on you dtg!!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yeah I have very limited disk space, probably not even enough to do the update. If this takes up too much space, I'm probably going to have to uninstall TSW until I can afford to buy a bigger hard drive, which isn't gonna be for a while. What a real shame.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  3. Lightwalker

Lightwalker New Member

Right, during the update the files take more space than the original game does. Luckily I have barely enough space at the moment. I would suggest buying an external SSD. My laptop is also full and that's how I temporarily manage the situation.

4. John Murphy

Okay, do you have the money to give me for an external SSD that's big enough? Because I sure don't have the money. I'm broke right now.

5. Lightwalker

Lightwalker New Member

Sorry I thought an external one would be cheaper, I wasn't sure. At least a small one temporarily.

6. John Murphy

I got a 500 GB SSD for TS about a year ago and that alone was like $150. With the size of updates and the (albeit low) possibility of larger routes in the future, you would want at least a 1 TB SSD for TSW. Last I checked, those were going up around $200-$300. Unfortunately, it's not cheap at all.

7. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

You're right about one thing these SSD drives are not cheap, I am looking at up grading my hard to SSD like you I just do not have the money for it myself.

I do hope that things improve for you so thatr you able to purchase your SSD drive.

8. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Currently a Intel 660p with 1TB is down to about 125$, thats just 8¢/GB.
    The price of an SSD has fallen quite rapidly in the last few years. Right now they are just about 5x more per GB than a HDD. And for a game like TSW with its big files, the read/write speed or the IO/s don't matter, its just about the connection speed, so if you can, go for a m.2 drive.

On my system with a Intel 660p 2TB a TSW update is done in 2-5min and i have no slowdown while it runs.

9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

SSD drives might be cheap where you are, but for 1TB is $169Cdn and a 4TB is over $1,300Cdn.

10. John Murphy

Yeah, last I checked here in the US, both online and in store, they were pretty expensive. A 1 TB that I saw in Best Buy around here was going for almost $400 last I checked.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Well, they love to sell you the best performing drives, simply because they get the biggest profit from it. And they have enough customers who have no idea and just buy them because someone said a SSD is faster.
    But as i wrote.. for games it doesn't matter, get the cheapest/size.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I use a Toshiba 1TB portable hard drive. Set me back £40, but it has proven itself to be a god send.

13. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

The reason for the update process taking this long is due to how Steam works. The mechanisms at work over at Steam are rather smart: rather than giving you another 10GB file to download, they only give you the bit of the file which has changed (called a 'patch'). This may be 250 MB, for example.

Once your Steam client has finished downloading this patch, it makes a copy of the original file, applies the patch to the copy, and then goes to work to replace the original file with the updates copy. This mechanism usually works pretty well, but with the huge files as used by Train Sim World isn't as effective anymore.

If you've got a decent enough internet connection, deleting and redownloading the game files may be quicker than letting Steam do its thing. Since your player profile is stored elsewhere you shouldn't lose any progress.

14. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

Honestly I prefer the updates but I can se where you are coming from with the post.

15. dani_alexa2003

dani_alexa2003 New Member

Uego con 10 dlc que pese 130gb las cargadas de actualizaciones que tiene