PC Newyork, Maintenance Maneuver

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rat7_mobile, Feb 15, 2020.

1. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Everytime that I am trying to do the scenario above, all I get is a derail train even though I have double checked all the switches to be in the correct direction

How do I get through this part, as the journey is not possible to be continued unless this scenario is done

2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Just replayed the scenario now without any issues. Triple check the switches in both directions during the stabling maneuver at the end (I assume this is where you are derailing yourself).

Always follow the purple line to make sure the switches are all set correctly to the route you want to take. (Sidenote: That purple line makes shunting so much easier....I remember when CSX first launched without this, it was an absolute nightmare trying to set your route on the 2D map)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  3. rat7_mobile

WHat purple line, all I have is the huge blue maker with the distance on it

And even before I can see where the derail happens, the game close and goes back to the main menu

and before leaving the dock at the trainyard, I follow the track on foot, and set the switch, but the result is always a derail, and I have tried different combination, thinking that I did not set them correctly the first time but the result is always the same, a derail

4. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The purple line I am referring to is on the 2D map view ("9"). It sounds like you are new to TSW and weren't aware that switches can be set from the 2D map (or maybe you were aware but you prefer to set them on foot for realism sake).

In any case...if you are looking to progress past this scenario (which you obviously do hence this thread), it may be better for you to sacrifice realism and set the points on the 2D map.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rat7_mobile

No idea that there is even a map, so I found by accident that it can be set by hand as it were

The only map that I am aware of is the one that is shown when loading the different scenario

How do you access the map, and then how do use it to set switches

PS, you are right I just started with the game, and it is very hard to do anything since there is no documentation provided with the game, I looked in the folder that was created while installing the game

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Presssing 9 on the keyboard accesses the 2D map....from there you can see all the junctions with little arrows. Those are clickable and you will see a visual line drawn when they are switched (ie the purple line I am referring to). The light blue line is the route you need to take to reach the objective location

eg
    [​IMG]

You can then follow the set route all along to make sure all the points are set correctly.

Some points are set in 2 directions (so if there are 2 arrow buttons right next to each other, you will need to check both). You will know when one of these types of points is set incorrectly set as the purple line will be broken/crooked

Its alot easier to do than explain, but good luck

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. rat7_mobile

Thank you very much, that was a great help, I was able to complete it

I have not understood how to move the switch using the map, but at least I was able to use the map to confirm the proper setting of the switch

8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

No problem...glad it helped. Changing the switches using the 2D map is quite easy...when you click this symbol at each junction:

[​IMG]

You will see the purple line (active route) move up and down showing you which line the route will take on the current switch setting ......ALOT easier than getting out and changing them by hand. Now the map shows the light blue line (It never did originally), you can trace the route all along and set all the points in one go by lining up the light blue line with the purple line

Porbably best watching a youtube vid of someone doing it which may help you understand it better.

9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Happy to see your problem was solved. By the way, is this a scenario or a timetable activity? I couldn't find anything called "Maintenance Maneuver" on the New York route.

10. rat7_mobile

it is part of the JOURNEY in the NewYork part of TSW

11. LastTrainToClarksville

Thanks -- I've thought that a Journey consists a number of Scenarios, Sessions [now called "Timetable", which makes no sense to me], and even Training episodes linked together, in which case each individual element of a Journey should exist independently as a Scenario, Session, or Training activity. Perhaps I've got that wrong, though.

12. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

He means LIRR. I had the same confusion but it's actually a scenario on LIRR rather than NEC.

13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yeh its on the LIRR....I thought he was originally talking about NEC as well.

14. LastTrainToClarksville

Well, gee, I've just never been skilled at reading what a writer meant to write.