PlayStation West Somerset Railway

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by elarthur, Feb 13, 2020.

1. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Just purchased this DLC and am having even more hours of fun on it. It would be nice to see some more of the WR diesel hydraulics that are currently resident there, namely the Hymeks, Warships and Teddybears. To also put these and all other WSR locomotives onto the GWE route would be awesome and i'm sure not too difficult.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

It would be nice to do more than 25 mph in the 33 and 52.

• Like Like x 4
  3. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Maybe I am in the minority, but I like the slower pace of WSR. I get to take in all of that lovely country scenery.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, it is a beautiful route, but the 52 just wants to go...

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind taking it out on another route, and seeing what it can do.

• Like Like x 4
  6. elarthur

Much agreed, this is the only tedious aspect on this route. These machines need occasional thrashing which is why i think they should patch them to GWE as well.

• Like Like x 6
  7. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Oooh, I was very happy to see this thread. WSR is often much maligned and misunderstood, I think, because of the 25mph limit. But for most of the route, in both directions, it is a fairly busy task to keep it at 25mph, or 15mph, or 5mph..... because of the gradient variation. It's actually quite challenging at times.

There are some negatives, alas... including the odd very long lay-overs mid-route, and the relatively poor quality route textures (they look like they might have come straight from an earlier Railworks version of the route (or similar....).

There's nothing stopping you from thrashing.... after you've passed the last layover.... but you might get a very stern letter from Jacob Rees-Mogg.... for disturbing the neighbourhood.....

• Like Like x 6
  8. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

For a cheap to do addition I'd like to see the class 101 in green/yellow warning panels.... Not the 115 I know but would give a completely different experience on the route.... And I love grabbing the rear window seat when I get on at doniford then I seat hog so I get a near cab ride from minehead to BL....

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a very picturesque route. A route I'm not often in the mood for but always enjoy it when I am. Station stops are overly long though, as mentioned by SA.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I love this idea. In fact, the chance to use it on on every route would be great however unrealistic. I'd love to have a blast up to Reading on it for example. Failing that, more routes that are suitable for it like the Cambrian Coast.

• Like Like x 4
  11. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I drive some parts of the route very slow. Then I have not so long to wait at the stations. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Should add the 101 on WSR anybody agree

• Like Like x 5
  13. Tonto62

I was in favour of that but I've just realised, we'd never get out of second gear! Without breaking the speed limit anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  14. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. With a nice tight challenging timetable..... ;-)

And the 52 should get a path out of Paddington.

You'd think that this would all be easy to do... but I am starting to think.... (...as "understand" would be too strong a word...) ....that maybe they have built out the routes in a way that now makes this all actually quite complicated to do.....

• Like Like x 4
  15. elarthur

I cant seem to find any information on the line speed limits during the last BR days. Surely it was faster than today. Also, was it largely double tracked?

16. Tonto62

From what I've been able to find on Google, it was double track from Norton Fitzwarren to Bishops Lydeard and from Dunster to Minehead. In 1970 however, these sections were singled to save money. As for the 25mph speed limit, that's a requirement for a light railway, it would've been quicker in BR days but I don't know where you'd find that information. I guess a top speed of 50mph in suitable locations? It'd be great to find out.

• Like Like x 3
  17. elarthur

Thanks Tonto62.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tracymckeown1892

tracymckeown1892 New Member

I agree, I would love to mix and match the british locomotives on all the british routes and with more livery options.

• Like Like x 5