PC Controler

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rat7_mobile, Feb 15, 2020.

1. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Is there a way to make a joystick work with this game

There is only the option for the Xbox controller, but for that you must have a Xbox connected to the computer (which I have no idea how to do it)

2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The X-box controller works with PC, you don't have to have an actual X-box attached to your PC. The controller just plugs into one of the USB ports.

3. alexwest1818

alexwest1818 New Member

I bought a regular joystick from Xbox and connected it to my PC without any problems.

4. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Most Xbox controllers come with an XBox to USB converter so you can connect the controller to a PC. No special software required.

You can make the buttons on any joystick work in TSW by mapping those buttons to press the keyboard keys. Most good game controllers come with basic mapping software. For the axis, most good game controllers come with axis to keyboard mapping functions as well, but because of how TSW works, it doesn't work very well.

To do it right, it takes some complicated scripting. Plus that scripting must be modified for every new locomotive. I did it for the Thrustmaster Warthog and TWCS throttles using the Thrustmaster TARGET scripting software. I completed support for about 60% of the TSW DLC, but I can't afford to buy all the DLC at full price. So I have to wait for sales.

Check it out here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-for-warthog-throttle-saitek-tq-profile.3634/

What I did works pretty well, but it won't work with any generic game controller because TARGET only supports certain Thrustmaster products. The Warthog Throttle is the best choice (one lever to act as the throttle, one for braking, and one for the reverser plus a good amount of buttons and switches). Sadly, it is a bit expensive. I added support for the TWCS Throttle, which is much less expensive, but the TWCS only has one lever and a paddle and a few buttons. It would work OK for locomotives like the LIRR M7 or the GWE BR 166 which have a single throttle/brake lever, or with locos like the BR 44 with a separate brake and throttle lever, but anything higher than that, and you'll need a Warthog. In my current setup, I use both a Warthog and a TWCS - I tend to set up the TWCS as the dynamic brake, the Warthog left lever as the automatic/independent brake (switchable), right lever as the throttle, and the little lever as the reverser.

I haven't released the version that works with a TWCS yet - coming soon. If you have a TWCS and want to try it now, let me know and I'll post what I have. It is done, but I need to finish testing and documenting how to use it.