Hud Speedometer Change After Latest Update?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by StratPlayer62, Feb 15, 2020.

1. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. Trim

Trim Active Member

Different type of locomotive, different maximum speed, darker interior is what it looks like to me. I haven't played American routes (apart from a brief dabble in LIRR), however, I haven't noticed any odd numbers like this. Nothing I play goes up to 120 mph; 100 is what I usually see (as with your first screenshot), but GWE has 150 mph.

3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

No, I agree with Trim - different locos have different speedos because they do different speeds. Some have the accelerometer above the speed, some don't, and some have different additional indicators. Darker display looks like shadows at different time of day too. I've noticed no difference since update.

4. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Regarding the lighting, I think it's reasonable for a dark overcast day to give you a darker ambient light, than what you would get on a super highly reflective sunny day with snow on every surface..... There's no problem there at all - looks great, in fact...!

But the Speedometer is clearly wrong - I don't know about the maximum speed (maybe there is a reason for that?), but the sub-divisions are completely wrong - nobody in their right mind would produce sub-divisions at 24, 48, 72 and 96... I know that the US doesn't have the decimal system for everything, but they do have hundreds, tens and units.... LOL, and I think they use dimes and nickels, not thruppenny bits and sixpences...... ;-D

You might want to flag that one formally.... another "counting" bug to add to the list...

EDITED TO ADD: They have changed the FSD (Full Scale Deflection) limit on the dial - but forgotten to add another subdivision so that they go up in 20s correctly.

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD: Thinking on it further, I realised that it was harsh of me to call this a "counting" bug - it's a much more advanced issue - it's a..... "dividing" bug, which I think is taught quite a few years after counting, in most schools, if I remember rightly.

EDITED YET AGAIN TO NOTE: If the major subdivision ticks are really meant to be 24mph apart, then that would make the ten minor subdivision ticks 2.4mph apart, or two and two fifths.... which would be a fairly unusual unit to expect the driver to process....

It's a a bit of a shame they didn't bother to test this - like - they didn't even bother to open it and look at it.... once...?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I thought I'd give you a more constructive response as well... So I checked the GP38-2 on NEC and SFJ, today (15th Feb), and both HUD speedo dials are 0-100mph FSD, with 20/40/60/80 major tick labels. Looks fine to me. That's on PS4.

I am assuming your screenshots are also GP38-2s, but I'm not 100% sure (....?), because your window frame textures look slightly different to mine. So if you do report your probelm, make sure you tell them what loco it is.

6. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

It was the GP40-2, running on a PC.

And for everyone else, for ALL locomotives for CSH HH, the index marks on the speedometer have always been at 20,40,60,80,100.

7. Trim

Trim Active Member

They come automatically from 120 mph being the maximum speed. Look at any HUD speedometer and the divisions are all fifths of the maximum, so far as I can see. Everything I drive seems to be 25, 100 or 150 mph maximum, so these make sense.

Looking at the two screenshots, in the earlier one, the locomotive maximum speed according to the HUD is 80 mph, so the HUD showing up to 100 mph is perfect. On the second screenshot, the locomotive maximum speed appears to be 100 mph according to the HUD, and this seems to be where the real problem lies. I have no idea what the actual maximum permitted speed of a GP40-2 is, but since the cab speedometer only goes up to 90 mph, it cannot be 100 mph. I agree with you that the HUD is wrong.

8. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I confirm what StratPlayer62 says.
    I just tried and indeed, the divisions are changed.