PlayStation Timetable, Journey, Mastery- Wich Way To Career?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Railmaster, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I got the TSW 2020 Collector-Edition and finished all guides, tutorials and scenarios. What shouldt be the next step in the career and what are the deciding differences in these game-modes?

In my understanding, journey is a mix of scenarios and timetable, structured in chapters.
    So its a good idea to complete this first, before starting timetable? And Mastery is a run for trophies, at least?

Wich way of career do you prefer and why? Because there's only one save-slot, I'm thinking about, with wich route (and locs) I wanna go forward, to keep any frustration small. Because the one or other bug and much more glitches are waiting... Otherwise, not all routes maby contain these modes.

Please lets talk about the experiences, opinions and recommendations.

Thanx and have a good day! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Currently (I think it needs changing) the Timetable mode services don't tick off the entry in the Journey mode, whereas the Journey services, do give you a medal in the corresponding Timetable mode, so it's probably best to do things in Journey mode first. However, the current counting method doesn't seem to take into account the Journey mode services when working towards "Complete x services" trophy, and Mastery is generally broken too. Mastery and Trophies are similar, but weirdly unrelated.

As a result of all this, you're best off doing whatever you enjoy and not even thinking about trophies or Mastery until they get it all properly sorted. Theoretically, Journey will take you through a logical progression from initial tutorial to services and scenarios for each train, so that's the route I normally follow. Older routes do not, as you correctly pointed out, contain all the modes and features, but they do seem to be retro-fitting them with updates (in which case you may have to redo services in Journey mode that you've already done).

Regarding the save slot, this isn't really like a normal save game - you can have multiple Profiles set up to contain various states of progress if more than one person is playing etc. The save slot is really just in case you need to stop a service mid-way through, then continue it later. It's also worth saving occasionally on more technical or longer routes because if you SPAD or derail, you can re-start from that point rather than having to do it all from the beginning. Also, one some services you may run into perpetual reds or weird timetable issues, and if you save, then go back into it from the Last Played menu option, the issues sometimes clear - I had this recently on a NEC freight service,

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Railmaster

Thank you for answer and sorry for the late replay.

Yes, your message makes sense! I'm not a trophyhunter, I just want to do it in the right order, to avoid to mix something up. So I will proceed now any journeys, before I will access to the timetables and masteries. It's a lot to drive but a lot of fun too :)

Because the save-slot, I had a thinking-error, I dont have to make more than one saving in different activities. All services I proceed, were still saved, so there's no need for any extra savings. This makes also sense. ;-)

Edit:
    Meanwhile I'm creating a spreadsheed, that contains all these informations about any route. Beginning from the Training till timetable and so on. I try to include further informations to each service, as time/distance, progressing, train/loc and so on. At least, so the target, you will have a complete overview to any route incl. trains and services. By setting an auto-filter, you can see anything whats elementary for you to know. Its still in progress and a little fun for me, while driving ;-)

I would like to share this spreadsheed too, if someone is interesting in it. Maybe it could be usefull for the community/wiki.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

That's a really good package to get as an introduction to TSW - so I think that you chose wisely... Quick question before I answer yours - did you get the US "NEC" route and German "Rapid Transit" (RT) route with your PS4 package - did they download? (They are not marketed as included, but you might have got them anyway....?).

Now to your question... Well, Factor41 has given you a good run-down of the different modes, and the only thing that I would add is that the "Journey" mode is really just a selection of other services/scenarios picking out different types of service, with the season and weather selected for you. So this means, if the curation has been done well (and it generally is), then you'll get a good sample of what is on offer visually and operationally, and get to experience early/late/night runs in the sun, rain and snow, with each main type of service...

But if you like wintry snowy nights, and wet autumn mornings, then you can go to Timetable Mode and pick these, along with your preferred train (if you have a choice of rolling stock), for each service listed. This is really very useful if you want to experiment with lighting and take screenshots, etc., or if you just like the immersion of night-driving or extreme weather.

But you also mentioned the word "career"..... and this is where things get more complex, because it is totally open-ended. And this is because there is a lot of stuff to learn and do, if you choose to put a bit of time in, or an extremely large amount of time, if you want, to get really involved. This comes in two flavours:

1. Stuff that you can switch on in your cab (safety systems)
    2. Stuff you can switch off in your general settings (essentially, a bit like "difficulty" levels)

If you start switching stuff on (like AWS/DSD and SIFA/PZB), then you'll have a bit more to do when interacting with signalling. If you start switching settings off, such as the HUD display for the next signal, then you'll have to interact with the signalling with more skill and anticipation and do some route learning (signal sighting, and track layout, etc.). If you switch off the HUD's "next speed limit" indicator, then you'll have to learn the speed limits for the entire route, and potentially variations of paths along the route depending on service - and that really becomes quite involved, if you want it to be so.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Railmaster

Yes, it was included to my Collector-Edition without further download. In the PS4-Main Menu it is called Set 1 and Set2, whatever that means. I can start only the wohle game, with all the 8 Routes. But I cant see the new canadian route in my shop. Got the last update to 1.34 today.

This time, I drive all services manually and I ask me, when it will be right time resp. gameplay-mode, to start with AWS/DSD, SIFA/PZB? Is it a good idea, to start and learn this in the timetable-mode, where I can set anything else?

6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

It's not hit the PSN store in all markets yet - the update just provides the enabler for it when it is released. They don't always appear in the store page of TSW immediately, but keep an eye on this page - all the DLC add-ons should be shown here (although the Baby Bullet isn't at the moment).

The trophies are broken down into two sets because there are now so many DLCs. Doesn't make any material different - set 2 are just the newer ones.

• Like Like x 1
  7. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Take your time, and experiment (with settings and safety systems).... when you are ready, or when you think it will interest you. You are not guided into this within the game, and there is no rule... But if you reach the point when you think the game is repeating itself too much, then that might be a good time to try out the settings - it then becomes a very different game.

With eight routes, with different content from express trains and suburban commuter to metro, and fast freight, mixed freight and heavy freight, then I think that you will have plenty to do for now....!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Railmaster

Boredom want be a problem... :D
    Apart from work and any other things, I should cool some beer and play some vinyls, while playing....

• Like Like x 1