Reskins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Feb 16, 2020.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Can anyone please explain to me how reskins work??? I have the Wessex 442 and would like the DP Simulations NSE 442 reskin. Once I have downloaded & installed the reskin does it mean I lose the Wessex 442 & it gets replaced by the NSE 442??? How does it work when it comes to scenarios??? Can i drive the NSE version instead of the Wessex version or does a custom scenario have to be made in order to drive it???

Sorry for the many questions, this is a side of TS I'm very unfamiliar with & hope someone can take the time to explain things a bit further...

Thanks in advance

Eric

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

You won't lose the original 442 and the NSE version can be used in any scenario.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you install a reskin it creates a Duplicate of what you own plus another in the new livery.
    You don't lose the original as that is the Default Livery
    From this https://store.steampowered.com/app/...r_Gatwick_Express_Class_442_Wessex_EMU_AddOn/
    You can have a Reskin in to NSE, Stagecoach or the new South West Trains liveries

You can use almost any train on any route in Quick Drive but if you wish one to appear in a Scenario there are a number of ways
    Create a Scenario from the start - but that is not as straight forward as it seems
    Download a Scenario that Features the train you wish to use
    Find a Scenario and Clone it - you can then use the new train on your route.
    If you had a route which has the SWT 444 you could swap it for the 442

Peter

4. ntypeman

I have read about making backup files... Is it REALLY necessary to create a backup file as I find this side of things rather confusing...

Eric

5. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Backup files are only needed to replace lost or damaged files. If you can solve your problem by simply downloading the file again from Steam or elsewhere then you don't need to make a back-up.

6. ntypeman

What I'm struggling to get my head around is that I have to delete a file then run the DPS 442 rwp file... how does this create a Wessex 442 AND an NSE 442 if I've modified the original file???

Eric

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Don't worry Eric, just follow the readme instructions and you'll get the NSE reskin.

8. ntypeman

I took Cat's advice, took the plunge and hit the buffers so to speak!!! Before I explain any further and so you know I have an MSI GE63 8RE i7 processor with a 6GB GTX 1060 graphics card, a 256GB SSD HDD and a 1TB HDD...

All my TS files are installed on the D drive as i read that as the SSD drive is [comparatively] small its best to keep that drive free mainly for boot files & windows etc...

As instructed on the DPS 442 readme file, I located the file & did exactly what it said:

(Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\Assets\DTG\Class442Pack01\RailVehicles\Electric)

All was fine till I got to Class442Pack01. When I opened the file there was NO RailVehicles file...!!!

I'm really stuck now as to what to do... If anyone can offer me any assistance I'd be eternally grateful...;)

Eric

9. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Try opening the .ap file in that directory with a program that can open .zip files, such as 7zip. Inside of that should be all the folders, and you can copy out the files as needed.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Did you run the batch file?

3. Go to the folder: (Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\Assets\DTG) and run the 'InstallMe442NSE' batch file.

That copies across the relevant files to make the repaint work

Peter

11. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

12. ntypeman

Sorry to sound a real thicko... I don't have any such file when I've extracted the file...
    All I have is the following:

442_NSE_v2.1.rwp
    Class442_Network_SouthEast_readme_v2.0
    Dovetail_Games_EULA_Disclaimer
    NSE_destinations

Cheers
    Eric

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Like you found the Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\Assets\DTG\Class442Pack01\RailVehicles\Electric folder
    you just need to go to Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\ and install the repaint with the Utilities program
    I explained it to someone else in this thread
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/adding-3-party-addons.13364/

Then go to your Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\Assets\DTG folder and run the 'InstallMe442NSE' batch file.

Peter