What By Brunel's Beard...

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by thearkerportian, Sep 19, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

...happened to the ticket machines at Paddington?
    Paddington 14.jpg
    And don't say Brunel didn't even have a beard. That's not the point.

2. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Plague of Locusts?

3. thearkerportian

Close enough, what had actually happened is this: GWR (upon a request by network rail as the station manager) required pigeons to buy a platform admission ticket in order to enter any of their stations. While it was initially surprising that the animals actually did comply (apart from individual violators who got subsequently fined), it soon turned out that maintenence cost for the ticket machines skyrocketed over night, so that attempt to gain extra revenue was cancelled barely a month after it began. GWR was in fact so embarrassed about not having thought that through, they even deleted any reference to the experiment from their websites etc, and kindly asked any newspaper that reported about it not to keep any copies of these articles in their archives, and every single one of them complied.

But trust me, it did happen this way. No, really. If it didn't, then how would I know about it? Huh?

• Like Like x 3
  4. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Ah, yeah. You do get Oyster machines that look like this sometimes, in that part of London, to be fair. They are supposed to be sanitary-wiped every two hours, but sometimes a new cleaner doesn't realise where all the machines are, and the bacteria can build up into a sort of primordial soup. That stuff can make people sneeze as well, which makes reading the screen nearly impossible. That's why the canny commuter learns the correct key sequence for their purchase, so you can just poke the buttons with a stick, without having to look at the screen.

5. thearkerportian

A stick? Seriously mate, that's illegal! Don't get caught doing this. Use the RemoTouch Pen™ that TfL and various TOCs offer for sale for 14,99 £ for specifically this purpose and reason. Sticks (same as you own pens etc.) will scratch up the buttons and surfaces of the devices. Also, TfL and various TOCs don't offer sticks for sale for 14,99 £, but that's not the primary concern here OF COURSE!

On a different note, why not turn this thread into a collection of our "WTF?!" moments in TSW. Not bugs, not things that need urgent fixing, nothing of that kind. But rather the kind of glitches and discoveries that are just odd, or weird, or maybe even have some humouristic value. That make you laugh, giggle, or at least smirk a little. Or scratch your head.

Acting upon this, the next encounter of that kind happened at Paddington as well:
    20190919172950_1.jpg I used to be an adventurer like you... then I took a class 166 driver's seat to the knee.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I see your driver's seat to the knee and raise you the super glued to the back of the chair problem.
    Train Sim World_20190910224846.jpg

Well it's got the right title for it.

7. synthetic.angel

The next station stop is Stepford, where you can change more than your train.

Stepford Wives (and Husbands).jpg

8. thearkerportian

20190717173640_1.jpg
    Most immersive glitch ever? Some NPCs tried to sit on my gap, and suddenly I found myself having a body.

• Like Like x 1
  9. synthetic.angel

Here's a strange one... I popped out of my 166 at Slough.... I was expecting to see a hive of bustling activity in this popular cultural centre, but all there seemed to be was an abandoned cold and empty wind-swept landscape; the only discernible feature being a sign that said "Slough".

I couldn't believe my eyes! A real shocker...! I have seen more pleasing sights in the bottom of a drained swimming pool. ;-)

Exciting Visit To Slough.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: Someone has now told me that this is quite authentic - and a very realistic portrayal of Slough. ;-)

10. thearkerportian

I've never personally been to the UK, but according to what I've read and heard, the only good reason to visit Slough is when you are wanted for murder in every single other city in the country. Including Luton, which would of course raise the question... why on earth did you murder someone in Luton? Weren't they punished enough as it is?

• Like Like x 2
  11. synthetic.angel

Mercy killing?

Oooh - this thread has got very dark..... LOL... ;-) When I was talking about the swimming pool being drained, I wasn't thinking about the recovery of bodies..., well, not human bodies....

Re Slough - my picture was a cheap shot.... Apologies to Sloughians. But when poets write about Slough as a place that would benefit from a "friendly" bombing raid falling on it... then you have to wonder. If you look at the picture very carefully - you will see an office block in the murk. But it's not the one in the hit 2001 TV show The Office (supposedly set in Slough) - most of that show was actually filmed in Teddington.....

NB: In reality, there is absolutely nothing actually wrong with either Slough or Luton. They are just places..... and this is a comedy thread.

12. thearkerportian

Wrong. They say the same about my city. It's just not true. Though, to be fair, they only made one major mistake here: They rebuilt it after the war. Should have left the ruins to just rot away and get overgrown by nature. Like Pompeii. Linke Angkor. Problem solved. But no...

13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

A sign of the times.
    Train Sim World_20190617001345.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

"'Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough, it isn’t fit for humans now.' Right, I don’t think you solve town planning problems by dropping bombs all over the place, he’s embarrassed himself there."
    —David Brent.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

And I'll raise you these headless wonders. If you try to walk down a carriage with people in, you can just shove them along until weird stuff starts happening! Train Sim World_20190908210042.jpg Train Sim World_20190908210059.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I won't ask! :|

17. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

No screenshot available (perhaps someone can supply one), but teleporting inside the secondman's head is a particularly surreal experience.

18. thearkerportian

On the walk from Hollis to Jamaica. Good thing I wasn't driving a train I guess...

20191102202358_1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  19. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Erm?
    Train Sim World_20190608152601.jpg

Class 55 and 800, perhaps it's a teaser to 2 new upcoming routes? :)

Be careful of that electrified 3rd rail as you're walking about. ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  20. thearkerportian

I'm not gonna tell how long it took me to realise what's wrong with "So what, it's just loco #55 800" in a TSW context :D

• Like Like x 1
  21. thearkerportian

Is that how bricks work? Educate us please, Wendover!

20191122135318_1.jpg
    (RRO)

• Like Like x 3
  22. thearkerportian

"Alright. I admit it. I'm scared!"
    20191110233623_1.jpg
    1442% realistic!

• Like Like x 2
  23. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  24. thearkerportian

Stop sign passed at danger? Or what does this constitute now?
    20191202115520_1.jpg
    (Rhein-Ruhr Osten, Ennepetal)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  25. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Think my Cab Car's been raiding the medicine cabinet!

I passed some graffiti on the Peninsula Corridor and the paint was so bright it possessed my train!

• Like Like x 3
  26. synthetic.angel

The hooligan responsible for the paint has fled to Germany, and he's scouting out new places to vandalise.:

TSW Hooligan.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  27. synthetic.angel

....but if he had stayed at home, then he could have stolen this hover car and had much more fun....:

TSW Hover Car.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  28. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me

29. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's faster to fly...

20191130150802_1.jpg
    20191130150822_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  30. synthetic.angel

The Vortex of Evil (about 575 metres east of Reading)

Count yourself lucky, because I was tempted to use the following pictures in a new thread called the Dreaded Reading Shredded Bread Thread, and write a winter tale ghost story along with it, based on the hanging of twin sisters just east of present day Reading station, by an evil pre-Victorian era baker.... that didn't like his bread being stolen, and shredded, to feed the ducks in the nearby river, by the aforementioned pair of naughty young ladies.... Anyway....

Here they are (the pictures) - taken two yards apart, at about 575m east of Reading's outer map tile limits (I think)....

Reading Vortex of Evil During.jpg

Reading Vortex of Evil After.jpg

It's not a hard-edge shadow - it fades from ambient to total black in about one metre, then stays absolute black for about 100m and then fades back into ambient over about one metre.

You might more readily notice the sudden temporary evaporation of light as you head into Reading, when the cab goes dark for about 100m - and when it goes dark - it really goes dark - all ambient light from the south is removed, um - including at night. I think this is because the build-out at Reading station has not been correctly stitched to the rest of the line on GWE, or there could be a missing map tile (or two) south of this location. But I don't actually know..... Maybe it is actually a tribute Spoooooky.....! ;-O

• Like Like x 2
  31. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Talking about haunted trains...
    Unfortunately, I have no pictures to show off, just a story to tell.
    I drove one of the services on CSX Heavy Haul from Cumberland to Rockford, where you leave and the AI took over to drive off the map. After, you have nothing left to do, so I tried to jump on the moving autorack cars. However, I ended up inside the car without opening the doors and no escape route, locked inside, and it carried me off the map, never to be heard from again.

• Like Like x 3
  32. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

How about this?

20191225113913_1.jpg
    The orange thing below the eyes is a mustache, so I suppose the secondman isn't female this time!

• Like Like x 3
  33. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

That is just 100% creepy I have never come anything like that yet.

• Like Like x 2
  34. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

Ha ha, yes it was creepy! And you could move the head around a little too. Really was like looking through someone else's eyes. :o

• Like Like x 1
  35. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

That’s Greater Anglia for you; the only rail network where 90% of the trains are all different colours due to the franchise changing hands constantly and lack of reliable TOCs to fix the broken units lool

• Like Like x 1
  36. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Instant quit micheal!!!! Too much detail for the NPCs

37. synthetic.angel

For anyone that has seen Blade Runner 2049 - this will look familiar...:

TSW Blade Runner 2049 Edition.jpg

Except this time it is a virtual lady inter-phasing with another virtual lady, and not a physical replicant inter-phasing with a projection of an advanced AI lady..... If you get what I mean (watch the film.... LOL... ;-)

38. JGRudnick

20200223163941_1.jpg Now we have ghost buildings on CSX:HH too, just like in OSD, but these ones don't show up on cameras.
    If you look at the top left corner of the screenshot, you can see the locomotive shops in the background, but when you look at the television screen, the building and cranes are no longer there!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  39. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

If you look on the TV screen, you see no loco... it looks the other way... ;)

40. JGRudnick

Do you mean the camera is facing the other way?

41. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Yes.. You can switch the cam that appears on the screen, there is one on both ends of the turntable.

Edit: No, now i see it, it looks the correct way.. but the upper half of the image is extremely squished. The loco is there, its that small black square.. and the building behind it is also there, its just so flat that you barely can see it..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  42. JGRudnick

Oh wow, you're right, the building is there! Maybe a giant stepped on it and squished it! ;)

43. JGRudnick

You now how flying cars are supposed to be in the future? Well there is already flying trains with full scenery!
    TSW_Adam_1585400392_00.png
    TSW_Adam_1585400404_00.png

TSW_Adam_1585400454_00.png