Route Proposal: Beaumont Hill ( Southern Pacific Era ) West Colton - Niland & Calexico Branchline

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, we have (a very outdated) Cajon Pass route, which is one of two major routes out of the LA basin in Southern California, but I think Beaumont Hill, which is part of Southern Pacific's Sunset Route could also be a good route for TS2020, And should include the run from West Colton Yard to Niland, California, which is appx 135 miles, plus included the Calexico branch line into the Imperial Valley and SP's long running Sugar Beet trains (Which ended in 1993). The route could also extend all the way to Yuma, but that would be pushing about 200 miles of mainline track.
    [​IMG]

The western end of the route would be West Colton Yard. West Colton Yard was constructed by the SP in the early 1970's to replace Taylor Yard near LA, as the yard wasn't a prime location for traffic between the San Joaquin Valley and the Sunset route after the SP built the Palmdale Cutoff thru Cajon Pass.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just past the east end of the yard, the route connects with the Palmdale cutoff, followed by Colton Corssing, where SP and ATSF tracks cross each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The route then crosses over the Santa Ana river before beginning the climb to Beaumont via the San Timoteo Canyon.
    [​IMG]

After reaching the top of Beaumont Hill, the route then grades downwards towards to the town of Indio.
    Before running around the edge of the Salton Sea towards Yuma. The Eagle Mountain Railroad interchanged with the SP at Ferrum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Calexico Branch line splits off at Niland and heads south, while the Sunset route heads South-East towards Yuma.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sugar Beet Trains
    One interesting features of this route was SP's sugar beet trains, which ran from the Imperial Valley on the Calexico Line to a sugar mill in Betteravia along the Coast Line, mainly using old Wooded Gondolas, which ran on Friction Bearing trucks. These trains ran untill 1993, when the plant in Betteravia closed down. I feel like these trains would be unique to the route due to the age and uniqueness of these old wooden cars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Locomotives would be SP's typical Power from the 80's and early 90's
    -SD40/R, SD45, SD40T-2, SD45T-2, Dash 7's, Dash 8's, GP9's,38's,40's,60's,SW1500,MP15 etc.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

Ever since I have The Beaumount Hill Combo on My Itunes, This Route will be perfect for TS2020!

• Like Like x 1
  3. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I'd love this route, Cajon pass is a severe case of just being outdated, it's time we got another SP route (other than Donner Pass). But then again, just like people complain about Sherman Hill being "boring," they'll probably say the same thing and litter the release with bad "reviews."

• Like Like x 1
  4. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

What about the SP Krauss-Maffei ML-4000 diesel hydraulic as a DLC? Also, I'd like an SD7/SD9, C44-9W, or SD70M.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The ML-4000 IMO would work better as a DLC locomotive, SD7/9's I can get behind. C44-9W and SD70m's could also be included too.

6. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

The only problem I can see with a Dash 9 is that it will be that 8 year old one from Donner Pass... :|
    I can't get over the texturing in the cab of that thing...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020