Tsw: “oh Canada!”

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boyka91

Boyka91 Active Member

i think so too

• Like Like x 1
  2. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Often it's 15mph through hand-operated siding switches, so that's probably the baseline speed. Futher reductions in speed are made depending on the condition of trackwork and the proximity of people and vehicles operating adjacent. Usually there will be a document that says things like:

Harbor Industrial Lead
    'All Sidings 10mph'
    'Do not exceed 5mph on all curves'
    'Do not exceed 5mph through hand-operated turnouts'
    'CO-OP Grain Loop, do not exceed 5mph, permanent derail at west end.'

So unlike the main running tracks where generally there is a defined speed limit which applies to long sections of track, industrial spurs and sidings tend to be more condition specific. Often sidings will also have specific operating instructions , like:

Dow Chemical Industrial Spur
    No road power is not to be used on/over the weighbridge on Track 5.
    Highway circuit activation is 100ft before the Belfor St crossing - minimise traffic disruption whilst switching.
    The gradient of Track 12 requires that hand brakes are applied to 50% of the cars set out.
    Switch 19 must be aligned to the main and properly secured with a switch lock after movement.

It's a shame that TSW doesn't go into this level detail, but maybe one day. I'd be suprised if most of the trackage wasn't 15mph because it could get tedious covering a couple of miles of track at 5mph!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Who is the route builder for this coming up route? Done at in house at DoveTail Games or contractor outside DoveTail Games. Just curious to know. One day we all will find out who is the builder for this route.

Smile,

John

• Like Like x 2
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It’s done in house by a few people.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you Anthony for your reply and wish that they contact the Canadian trainsimmers with TSW for more information. But that's their decision to do build the route in house. I guess that I can't say anymore about this unless see if something is not right and will post here.

John

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They do lots of research prior and during the creation of the route.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

If I ever change my mind to purchase this route and I will change the time of switching work to at night not at day time.

Thank you,

John

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I just completed this service in 1 sitting and goddamm....I think I am burnt out on switching now lol (It took 2hrs to complete -- although it ended slightly earlier than I expected as there were still alot of mixed cars left in the rake which I expected to have to sort as well...)

Thanks for the tip on that service....and it is certainly a nice idea for a community thread ie sharing favorite services. I often miss these as I complete all the scenarios on a route and maybe 1 or 2 services)

• Like Like x 2
  9. solon

solon Active Member

I just read the content of this thread, and I am impressed. Over 90% of the players here are unhappy with the path taken by TSW and no reaction from DTG.

The first Canadian line, I love the idea. But very very very poor content, a line that is not the most interesting... Everything is done so that we do not buy this DLC. Funny marketing strategy to push players to stop using TSW.

however it would be possible to improve the game and make it more attractive :
    - Add random events that disrupt traffic and challenge driving (currently boring after some time)
    - Make the skin a little less clean, which gives a more real and less clinical appearance
    - Extend the existing lines.
    - repair and optimize failed lines such as NEC New-york...
    - Etc.

but nothing.

• Like Like x 6
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes 90% of a small handful complaining on here, many are possibly seen as "the usual suspects" anyway by those who read the forums.

That may not tally with DTG's experience in terms of sales, player usuage, comments on other channels.

As I have said before this place has generally become an echo chamber!

• Like Like x 7
  11. solon

solon Active Member

I believe that TSW's sales figures on Steam, which have always been far below TS, and which are not progressing, also respond to this "echo".

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Digital Draftsman

With the example of this latest DLC, if it was released for TS2020, I'd have the CN SD70, SD40-2W and SW1500 to use on it. So even though the route only comes with 2 locomotives, I can use it in conjunction with 3 other DLCs I have. I can also download Steam Workshop scenarios which include the current and new DLC, futher expanding the new DLC. This is means that the hours of entertainment per $ is much higher, so I'm much more likely to a buy a DLC if I can use it with my existing DLC and obtain new scenarios for it. This is one area where TSW is crippled by this new business model of DTG.

At the current rate of growth of TSW and the current rate of shrink of TS2020, it'll be about 7 years before TSW exceeds the number TS2020 players on PC. 10 years post release and still 49% of PC players will be playing TS2020. I still play TS2020 a lot more than TSW, roughly 3 hours in TS for every 45mins in TSW. I have also bought more a lot more TS2020 DLC than TSW DLC over the last year.

• Like Like x 8
  13. theorganist

Well I am the opposite example. I haven't bought anything for TS2020 for well over a year and only use it for driving steam and some BR blue period routes like WCMLOS. The only TS2020 purchase I am likely to make coming up is the Stainmore route by SSS and possibly steam loco DLC which may come up. I have in contrast bought nearly everything so far for TSW and use it more.

Both our experiences are polar opposite and illustrate that just because we have a view in one particular direction, we shouldn't assume everyone else shares that view.

I haven't been obsessed enough to check out user figures or how much of a public grant DTG have, but I do not see any sign of DTG panicking!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Digital Draftsman

The Steam stats suggest people like me are the majority and will be for some time to come.

DTG would have made a loss every year since they began developing TSW was it not for the tax relief they receive. That's despite taking their share for acting as publishers for the entire TS2020 back catalogue. They have a high asset to debt ratio, so overall I wouldn't say the company was in great shape.

Of course I don't know for sure what the master plan is, so maybe there are things which mitigate the outward shortcomings. But I certainly don't think things have gone to plan with TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

TSW is also available on consoles and TS is not. Where you still have the choice then TS is probably still better value for money especially if you already have lots of DLC. But TSW isn't exclusively for the old school gang. I wouldn't have either if one of them wasn't on console because I don't have a PC. There are a lot of us about.

• Like Like x 4
  16. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

Well said. I can fully relate to this. TS for now has the edge when it comes to content. But since TSW released, i haven’t touched it. And i am playing TSW on PC and Console :). Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  17. theorganist

Exactly they seem to wilfully miss out console users, as that doesn't fit in with their argument. Steam stats aren't the only reliable guide, also some people play in offline mode so even the steam stats do not necessarily reflect the true picture.

I will start worrying about TSW when no new content is released and when DTG stop hiring and start firing.

Why is there this constant agenda on these forums of bash DTG, make out they are not well financially, make out the product is failing, almost as if they are willing it to happen?! It quite frankly is baffling!

• Like Like x 4
  18. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I do have a question, since foreign power is something seen here in North America, will the csx gp38 and gp40 as well as the up gp38 be available on this route?

• Like Like x 2
  19. BNSF650

BNSF650 Member

If we add a editor would could make this happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Big Papi34

So in about.... another lifetime.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Only VIA, AMTRAK and CP have running rights on this route.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say there's an agenda, but DTG need to be better than things like this:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/377-4-sn-destination-boards.20547/#post-115227

I'm still waiting for the 47 to be fixed on consoles too. Is it any wonder that people complain?

• Like Like x 8
  23. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

This x 1,000,000.

• Like Like x 1
  24. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Regarding Matt's addendum to Anthony's message: low-poly rr cars have long been available for TS, thanks to Michael Stephan -- could they be coming to TSW?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Big Papi34

Yes, but what about foreign power? I just saw a Norfolk Southern train with a BNSF unit on it. You dont have to have running rights to use foreign power.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Big Papi34

maxresdefault.jpg This is in/around the oakville sub. That is a Citi rail unit (really BNSF)leading as foreign power.

• Like Like x 5
  27. Matto140

Could be, Citi rail is leasing company (loco owner), the operator need running rights.
    Same as rolling stock that can be used across states.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Big Papi34

What do you mean "running rights". I understand say Norfolk Southern 134 needs to its destination on another railroad they need trackage rights. But if NS 134 is on NS tracks with say, a csx ac4400cw, they don't need "trackage rights" as its just a loco, not the train and crew. I also see plenty of foreign power on non leased tracks. If im missing something please explain as im always wanting to learn something new about the railroad.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Matto140

"running (trackage) rights" are administrative and law agreements for host crews (engineer and conductor) to operate trains on route.

This "foreign power" that you mention is appearence (working) of other owner's loco on other route and trains. It is more typical between US companies that operates on same routes(areas) and is extra payed when NS use CSX loco on NS train. Loco is rented for some particular task, what is economicaly better than sent it back empty, or when you need more power for your train than your own company have at disposal at place in time.
    So this foreign power is possible, but only when it is necessary to deliver load on time and it don't cost too much.
    And there are also some technical rules that needs to be fulfilled. In US there are federal rules, but beetwen Canada and US you need another deals.
    It look interesting on photos, but there is lots of paperwork hidden in behind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Big Papi34

Ahh thanks for the info. Dang I didn't realize it took so much work just for a foreign engine lol. I bet crews like foreign power then, extra pay lol.

• Like Like x 1
  31. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

You also need to factor in how much longer Train simulator has been around and how much content has been created for it. You can’t compare the two by player base or how much money one makes over the other and you also can’t forget the many who play TSW on their console. I myself have had hundreds of hours of fun with the routes and locomotives DTG have made for TSW, it has made me appreciate railroads and trains. A lot of the players go to a forum because they have a problem with the game, the majority of players who are happy with what they are getting don’t.

• Like Like x 4
  32. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

And just to make a reminder to say; it's just a Simulator. It wouldn't hurt just to add a substitution system to the more later US Routes (Like CNOS).to have a variety of not only rolling stocks but locos as well. Be it either the US or Canada at this point.

• Like Like x 3
  33. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Someone asking for locos add-ons?

1) FP9 (vintage) for our freight duties.
    CN-FP9.jpg

2) Dash9-44CW (modern)
    Canadian-National-Railway-2650-diesel-locomotive-Dash-9-44CW-L-.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  34. Big Papi34

I find the CN dash 9 interesting with it's EMD like tear drop windows.

• Like Like x 3
  35. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I hope so much that we get such a powerful diesel loco like the dash9 for OSD. But in the mean time we can pull medium length trains with the Geeps at OSD mainline. I saw on Youtube a video today where 2 GP 9 pulled a train with around 60 cars at Oakville in real.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  36. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

"They can't get access"

Well I certainly don't say the same. There are plenty of photos online that could help with cab interior and controls, and the sounds, DTG could get them from railfan videos, especially the horn and bell, which it think is very important. Judging from exterior looks, yes I agree with everyone who says the AC4400 used in CSX HH could be modified in terms of cab interior and sounds as well as paint scheme and railroad specific details. For the engine sounds, they could use the same prime mover featured in the CSX AC4400CW since they both use the 7FDL 16 cylinder (no lie). I mean this is the least DTG could do, I just see the no access statement as an excuse for DTGs laziness for new locomotives and opportunities to make tsw a better game and more enjoyable (no offense).

• Like Like x 1
  37. MetrolinkF125#916

Just like DTG did with the GP38-2, they could "reuse" the AC4400CW and tune it up to C44-9W specs and details, but I think DTG is just plain lazy to do this (no offense).

• Like Like x 3
  38. MetrolinkF125#916

Heck yeah! That's what we need 4 tsw to make it better (practically looks like HH)!!

• Like Like x 2
  39. MetrolinkF125#916

And with something new for TSW: heavy haul 4000+ hp diesel locomotives to haul tons of heavy freight up hills with constant alerts and throttle and brake changes handling heavy loads up steep, long hills down single track mainlines needing to stop @ signals to let other trains pass 50+ miles in total and hotshot 70 mph freight trains 60+ cars long, wooh.

• Like Like x 2
  40. MetrolinkF125#916

Something like this I would want: maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  41. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I'd love to see something like the fp9/f9 or f7 in TSW as it has such an iconic shape. Of course you would need a B unit with it as well. Not sure when and where we'll see it though. I don't think it will be on this route.

• Like Like x 2
  42. zane88

zane88 Active Member

That looks like heaven to me.

Face it friend, some of us were BORN for the "LONG HAUL"!!

......or even a "heavy haul"

.....hint hint

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  43. zane88

zane88 Active Member

I think I've seen this pic before.

Is this Sherman Hill?

• Like Like x 2
  44. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Sometime back (I couldn't find it to quote it), Matt said they couldn't get access to the larger mainline locomotives on the Class I railroads. If they did more research, many short lines and regionals have some of those locomotives. Here's an example...
    Last year, the shortline Western New York & Pennsylvania railroad bought 6 AC6000CW's from CSX.
    The regional railroad Buffalo and Pittsburgh has 6 ex CSX SD60I's and 5 ex CSX SD60M's, as well as 2 ex FEC SD70M-2's.

If DTG can't get into the locomotives on the Class I railroads, maybe they could try to find regionals/shortlines that have bigger locomotives that would let them inside.

• Like Like x 6
  45. MetrolinkF125#916

Yes it is.

• Like Like x 1
  46. MetrolinkF125#916

Don't forget GO TRANSIT!

• Like Like x 2
  47. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Any video showing today from the team of Dovetail Train Sim World before the release tomorrow?

Thank you,

John

• Like Like x 1
  48. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

You do not have to yell jpmackay (regular text size is good enough) ;)

As has been stated last week and on Social Media there is a live stream of the new route in about 3 hours time (18.00 GMT) that showcases the route.

• Like Like x 4
  49. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Sorry Rob that I yelled because I am deaf and can't hear anything out of my ears. Where will I see a live stream of the new route? On Facebook or twitch or ???

John

50. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.