Flashing Yellow Sequence Massive Flaw

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Olaf the Snowman, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Thanks to Rob39 for mentioning the flashing yellow sequence on the approach to Newhaven junction which takes you to a siding.

On the approach to Newhaven junction, you get a flashing single yellow and then the next signal, you get a red with position lights lit (2 white lights).
    I assumed when Rob39 mentioned flashing yellow sequence, we were talking about the high speed junction just beyond Lewes splitting the line to either Eastbourne or across to Seaford at 40mph as that is the only place I can see viable that would have a flashing yellow sequence on the East Coastway. But no, we are talking about position lights to take you into a siding. :(
    I don’t sign this route but there is absolutely no way would you ever get a flashing yellow sequence to take you to a siding or depot or any low speed junction. In any case, that is not a junction indicator but rather it is a position light signal associated with a main aspect which when lit (2 white lights) means to proceed at caution and be prepared to stop short of any obstruction. You would get ‘checked down’ for this so in other words, you would go past a (steady) single yellow and as you approach the red, it would then clear with the position lights (2 white lights) to take you into a siding, depot, goods loop, etc... That signal previous should not even be capable of showing a flashing yellow. What on earth are TSW thinking? Flashing yellows to take you on to position lights- oh dear. This will give some of my colleagues a good laugh though.

What I don’t understand is, how come for the junctions that they should be putting a flashing yellow sequence, they don’t bother but they decide to put it in a completely random place and implement it with a massive operational flaw?!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Olaf the Snowman

A29D9797-3684-4539-8560-188AFB356E70.jpeg AA749EF9-AA23-4434-A971-1E1E303D2447.jpeg
    First image is the flashing yellow (can’t see it flashing on the image obviously) and the second signal is the junction signal displaying 2 white lights.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is because DTG Cannot get the signals to work as they should so you get a lot of errors like this

• Like Like x 1
  4. Olaf the Snowman

Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense. If they didn’t have any flashing yellows at all or if there was a software issue (e.g. signals going blank) then fair enough and your answer would be appropriate. But it doesn’t seem like a software issue at all- it functions correctly in the above scenario, but they have put in a location where you would never get flashing yellows and is a clear violation of the basic principles of signalling. In simpler terms, I don’t think TSW understand what flashing yellows even are and how they work which is pretty sad considering how basic and fundamental it actually is in the everyday running of the railway.

If it is a software issue like you suggest, why bother put the flashing yellows in the first place if they can’t get it correct during test and then boast about a signalling update?
    Otherwise, why pick the most unsuitable location out of all the junctions in TSW to implement flashing yellows? There are countless areas on GWR between Paddington and Reading that you could get flashing yellows and a couple on the East Coast-way. But no, let’s pick a completely random spot instead and give flashing yellows to give you prior warning for a position light!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Not having all the German and American routes and not being fully knowledgeable about the signaling anyway I was wondering if the equivalent of flashing yellows were functional on them?

I think method 3 might be worth a look then. Actually all methods are worth viewing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As I said DTG have not implemented the Signalling of the route correctly.
    In normal BR Practice the Yellow Signal would stay steady and the Red would clear as the train got near to it.
    Maybe the Script in the Signals they use see a Junction Signal which is Clear for the Slower route so they Flash.

On GWR a Scenario ends at Slough and I was playing it for the first time doing around 70mph on the Down Relief - the Cab display tells me I have a 50mph (i think) crossing along with a Flashing Single Yellow and the Home signal is Clear with a 50 followed by a 15 in to the Bay.

In real life you would not get Flashing Signals approaching a Dead End

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  7. Olaf the Snowman

If they can’t get flashing yellows to work, they should just use the approach release method everywhere so that it only clears once you’re 100metres from the signal, for example. It’s ridiculous where you are merrily running around at 125mph and then suddenly you get a junction indicator taking you across Dolphin junction at 40mph.

The US routes (LIRR I have most experience in) from what I see are generally ok because the US uses speed signalling whereas the UK uses route signalling. That’s why route knowledge is a far bigger issue for UK drivers because it is down to them to know all the speeds whereas in the US, the signalling gives you a good guide of what speed to do. E.g. clear, medium clear, etc.... Or that’s my understanding of it.

Ok, the GWR scenario you mentioned is interesting. They definitely need to relook at it. I still maintain though it seems like the developers don’t understand the principles of flashing yellows rather than a software issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I've never seen flashing yellows on the Great Western Express route. I have come across half-assed attempts at approach control (double yellow -> single yellow -> green with feather) or even just a surprise signal-with-feather taking me to another line at an excessive speed, but I can't recall ever having seen flashing yellows.

The issue on East Coastway is a bit worrying to me. The state of the distant signal (CCO1571) seems to be linked to the way the points beyond the main signal are set, CCO1571 continues to display a flashing yellow aspect even when the train for which it was intended is already in the aggregates yard! The flashing doesn't stop until a route is set towards Newhaven Town and the points are set accordingly.

9. Jovet

Jovet New Member

For the record, the US uses both route signaling and speed signaling. Speed signaling is predominant in the east of the country, and Route signaling is predominant in the west. Canada uses virtually all Speed signaling, if you ignore the "DV" exception cases.

There are implementation errors in the US routes I've seen, too. As a "signals" guy, this doesn't surprise me, because signaling tends to be rather complicated, and it's costly (time=money) to take the time to learn to understand it properly to do it right.

• Helpful Helpful x 1