Thank You For The Oakville Dlc Devs!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HuggernautNL, Feb 20, 2020.

1. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Thanks for making this thread - even when the other negative threads were kicking off. As you say, there are some things that need to be fixed on OSD (very big issues....).... but guess what... ? On PS4, this DLC has got 4.5 stars (very nearly five) - that's the initial reaction to the DLC, although the sample size is currently small (just under 100).

PS4 players that did not see the DevStream (and had no raised expectations) and do not read this Forum (or the reviews on Steam), will be completely unaware of the fuss that has been made. And if the Hamilton area kick-outs are fixed very quickly then they might never know... and will be happily playing the route, completely unaffected by the negative waves..... And yes - I agree with you on the DB BR 155 - it is really beautiful, and I really do hope that they make it work soon, so that I can rave about it, and have enough faith to start buying other stuff.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Just tested the 155 on RSN. No problems with sound in tunnels.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Can't test for reasons, but don't remember experience any as well.

4. synthetic.angel

Thanks for this. It has never worked for me before, and this reported bug with the DB BR 155 has been around since the loco was released, and has been recently reported as still broken by many other people.

I haven't seen any patch reports in the last few days indicating that the problem had been fixed.

But, I am an eternal optimist, so I will try it out again... on my PS4.

If only we could find a way to get in touch with the person that designed the loco. I am sure that he/she would be mortified to hear that his/her fabulous creation didn't work for so many people. But maybe he/she has died (and is already, literally speaking, mortified)...., or maybe he/she is just on an extended holiday to Rio (very nice this time of year...!), and now nobody can get the 155 fixed because he/she is also doing a digital de-tox thang..... I guess we'll never know, or hear from him/her again, given that the loco has been broken for so long already.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  5. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

You didnt said that you are on PS4. You posting here in the PC area. Cant test it on PS4 as i dont bought TSW for it, only XBox and PC. Maybe that there is a problem on PS4 only, but then that could not be loco related i think. Must be something else with the reverb effect or whatever with sound classes/mixes wrongly implemented there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. synthetic.angel

Thanks - this is useful - as it narrows it down a bit (to PS4). Much appreciated.

NB: Obviously it is the loco (other locos are not impacted), it is a problem with the loco, on RSN, on PS4 - which is the route it has been designed to run on, on a platform it was intended to be released on, and is sold on.... but doesn't work as intended, on RSN, on PS4.

The loco might work fine, on a bit of open silent test track, on a PC, in the Dev's office. But since it is expected to run on RSN, which has tunnels, and on the PS4, then I expect the sounds to work for the DB BR 155 when it goes through tunnels, on RSN, on the PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I tested the 155 Sunday, on PC. No worries in the tunnels.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Works fine for me too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Like HuggernautNL and others who have used this thread to praise the CN_Oakville_Subdivision, I am enjoying this route tremendously and am determined not to let the naysayers get me down. There's plenty of activity to keep those of us who appreciate switching busy in this package and its developers have obviously included lots of room for further development of additional scenarios and sessions. When the add-on switching packs come along, I'll be among the first to snap them up and I feel sure that many others will join me in doing so. Can a completely positive thread exist on these forums? Of course not ... and that's a shame.

• Like Like x 8
  10. synthetic.angel

This is really good to hear...! Apparently, PS4 players (that have rated the DLC) reckon it's fabulous - five stars (out of five) - and when they are disappointed, they don't usually hold back (it is more usual to rate something really low, to let people know to avoid).

I'd encourage you to make your voice heard on the other threads too - tell people what's good, post some pictures, and do it with a smile... etc. When you add a bit of flavour to a dish, it always tastes better... well.... usually... (NB: I know that you know all of this - I am just trying to encourage everyone) ;-)

11. Traxx

Traxx New Member

Yep, the BR 155 is a fabulous loco, I don't regret buying it for a second. Only unfixed bug is the sudden cut-in and out of the traction motor fan sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

What on earth does the BR 155 have to do with the CN Oakville Subdivision route?

• Like Like x 4
  13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Did you know that the Hamilton Police Service of the City of Hamilton, Ontario, is headquartered at 155 King William Street Hamilton, Ontario? Perhaps they may be of service to several colleagues on mine complaining of a false-advertising scheme in the area. ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, the only remedy that would be satisfactory is for DTG to complete the damned zone and release an update to us. Maybe even give everyone back their money and let them keep the DLC.

Of course, nothing of the like will occur. They will simply reissue the shortened map and leave things the way they are. Like the TVG on TS, or the BR 155.

• Like Like x 4
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It doesn't, however we can't have one positive thread on here, it doesn't fit the mantra of certain forum members. As I said, some people don't like others being happy!

• Like Like x 3
  16. synthetic.angel

Well, I think it is important to have a positive thread for all the people that love the OSD DLC - and there are many out there that love OSD, on PS4, that haven't read these Forums and been exposed to the negativity. Can't stand a killjoy, meself. Train Sim World is a game after all.

But I also think it is important, for all those people that love OSD, and read or write on these Forums, to feel comfortable with contributing anywhere they want to.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure there is a difference between a game and a simulator. But I will let you see if there is an actual difference. In your own opinion.

Never the less, I do enjoy the COS. But still have some disappointments with what they have done to the route:
    -24 miles between two major yards (and the industrial district in Hamilton is 2/3s inaccessible)
    -Another reused/rebuilt GP38 (Getting real tired of this)
    -and bad default horn sounds (many say the engine sound as well, but I find it as meh to me)
    As I said in my previous posts from the article threads. It looks good don't get me wrong, but it could've been better then what it already is. And that's coming from a man that likes all kinds of freights to be used in one single route (Long-Haul/Local/Switcher).
    Hoping to see what kind of add-on they will make for this route. Because for me, it better be worthy of a good loco for this route, and worth it too.

And that's my 10 cents opinion of this route. Take it or leave it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. synthetic.angel

Oh sorry - when I said "game" I meant "leisure pursuit". Not really keen to get into a disussion on the "simulator-ness" (or not) of TSW right now, because it wouldn't really add anything to this thread.

So - I suppose I am saying that TSW is a "leisure pursuit", which is largely paid for out of "disposable income" as a bit of a luxury, and fairly low as a priority for pure survival. So, imagine you had spent £25 (or $30) to book a tennis court for a couple of hours. You could have great fun, on a nice sunny day, with a gentle cooling breeze. Or it might rain "cats and dogs" (not literally), and you lose your cash.

The rainy day isn't going to stop your love for tennis. So, you know, if a TSW DLC is not quite what everyone expected - why worry about it? Just buy the next one, and maybe that will be a "sunny day" one. And nobody remembers rainy days anyway, not really. So, it's all fine.

And if you prefer golf, and it is a sunny day.... and you've paid for eighteen holes, but only four are playable, then that shouldn't be a problem. Just enjoy the four holes, and be happy about it. That's what I say.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Pretty sure there is a difference between a simulator and a simulation. But I will let you see if there is an actual difference. In your own opinion. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

lol, I see what you did there. I was just testing since, yes, TSW is technically a game due to some core features that really acts like a game for sure.

And one other note to add; Nice to see Rolling Stocks are being subbed for this route. But very odd jus to see some CSX Cars being used on nearly every manifest consist (That's just me though). And the only CN logos that are just slapped onto is both the Autoraks and a Covered Hoppers. At least the counterbalance was the Ethanol loading animation.

That's all to say. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Umm, if i'd paid for 18 holes at a golf course and the person on reception knew that only four were playable when I paid, but didn't mention it (and even spoke about how great the other 14 holes were), I think I'd have the right to be a little annoyed. I'd also be asking for at least a partial refund. Or maybe some free drinks in the bar afterwards...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  22. synthetic.angel

Maybe. Although, if a junior member of staff then explained to you that it was a mistake to sell you four holes for the price of eighteen, you know, a sort of "misunderstanding" then I am sure that most reasonable people would be okay with it. And just be happy. And of course, you should not expect a refund, because you had clearly started to play part of the course. Which is fair enough.

And then, if when you left the golf-course, you heard the receptionist telling more golf-course visitors that they would get eigteen holes (fully knowing that fourteen of the holes were out of bounds, and could lead to a serious accident if you tried to enter them), then that would be fine as well. Everyone would have the right to complain and have their complaint largely ignored.

And you might even come back to the golf course again, to buy another four holes for the price of eighteen, if you want. Nobody forcing you, but if you really like golf, and there is no other golf course in town... then you'll probably come back. And everyone is a winner. Probably.

• Like Like x 2
  23. synthetic.angel

24. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. synthetic.angel

Oh yes - fully acknowledged.

My worry, when creating a poll that was generated from a "negative thread" was that only "OSD negative" people would answer it. So I have posted here so that "OSD positive" people are alerted, and given an opportunity to vote.

Since I did that, the voting has changed from about 80/20 negative to 50/50.... so your voices are now being heard a lot better.... This is a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
  26. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Now I can appreciate your intention.

27. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

Just spent a few delightful hours playing in the yards of Oakville Subdivision. I think this is a brilliant route. Using the scenario in which you wander around doing what you like, I set myself the task of forming the longest train possible. Starting with two locos, I coupled them up progressively to more and more cars. It was great the way the physics worked as the load increased. More and more power was required to get the train moving and the braking response changed accordingly.
    I noticed that sometimes newly coupled cars did not run as freely as expected, indicating dragging brakes. This required an examination of the coupling. I found that unlocking the coupling, then immediately locking it again restored correct braking operation. I don't know if this feature is deliberate, but I guess it simulates an air valve being accidentally left closed. I really like it when the engineer has to do a little fault-finding. Being able to use the free camera (8) to wizz down the train to the affected coupling as an alternative to lots of walking is a great feature.
    When my ever-growing consist became too much for two locos, I walked over to another pair, commandeered them, and attached them to my existing pair. Once all four locos were configured correctly for multiple operation, I was able to evaluate the increase in performance gained. When using other loose locos to shunt racks of cars about, it is a good mental exercise to figure out how to start off with locos at the right end of a consist so that the cars can be attached to the main consist.
    The tanker loading feature is also enjoyable, providing a before-loading and after-loading comparison in change of weight.
    All in all, hours of endless fun. Thank you DTG for developing such a realistic simulation and well done to all concerned!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  28. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I wish they would just pay someone who already makes really good sounds for like DCC decoders or other train sims/mods. It would make a world’s difference. Also I refuse to use the CN gp38 because of the Bell.

I have reasonable recording access to a real Canadian GP9 and gp-38 if dovetail ever wanted to redo the sounds

29. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Send Matt or Sam a message.

• Like Like x 1
  30. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

And send another to Adam asking if we could have a few passengers on the stations.
    Find I’m enjoying this red-nosed step-child of a route the more I play it.

Just don’t get me on those bloody bells. You wonder if tinnitus is an occupational hazard in North America.

• Like Like x 1