Invert Y?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jez, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

For me, up is up... unless I am on a bike, plane or submarine, in which case up is down.... LOL... ;-)

Very interesting article....! There's always a certain phrase I look for whenever anyone quotes "research" at the start of an article, or indeed if you've delved deep into your pocket and you've paid £100,000 to commission it, and this one didn't disappoint....:

"If we want to know what’s really going on, more research is needed"

Always makes me laugh, although it makes my bank manager cry. LOL ..... ;-)

3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I always push forward to angle down - all those years of playing Birds of Prey on the Amiga and F/A-18 Hornet. We have an ongoing thing at work where my boss will gesture a scroll direction towards my monitor when we're working on something on-screen and I'll scroll it the other way by default - like she's trying to move the viewport, but I move the content.

4. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I think it was games like Afterburner and Ace Combat that locked me in to inverting. Difficult to jump from Ace Combat to Medal of Honor on the Playstation without inverting, so I've kept it going.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing it. Even if you aren't in a plane, you tilt your head back to look up and forwards to look down so it makes sense to me. Not having played any video games since PlayStation 1 days, I didn't know this was a thing. It could explain why I'm so rubbish at Red Dead Redemption 2! I need to experiment.

• Like Like x 2
  6. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Hmm, because I tend to do it automatically I had to stop and think about this. I push forward to look down or move forward and pull back to look up or move back. I consider the joystick to be an extension of the character. Am I normal? No don't answer that. ;)

The strange thing is in games like Elite or No Mans Sky where I can fly around on a planet without problem once I enter space I feel the need to swap the up & down. Possibly because there is then no reference point for up & down.

Even in TSW?

7. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yep.

8. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Oh ok. But not the throttle and brake controls I suspect? :) Although I don't think you can change them anyway.

So I think I can see what's happening; you/your their brains treat the joystick has being vertical so if they move it up the cursor moves up etc. Where as I/my brain treats it has being horizontal so if I move it away the cursor goes down. Neither is right or wrong just how we perceive things.

Interesting article, thanks for pointing it out. Got me thinking.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  9. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

No, I'm inverted like you are. Push forward for down, back for up. The normal/default these days is the opposite.

• Like Like x 1
  10. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I see. Post edited.
    That confuses me slightly because I don't usually swap the settings to inverted. Perhaps it's just different in various games. Anyway my horizontal vertical still seems to make sense - to me anyway.

I must go and turn my PS4 on and switch my brain off automatic and actually watch what I do. :D

11. esteeleiv

esteeleiv New Member

I'm thinking of when they say up they mean actually pulling the joy stick up out of the controller.:D I don't play with my gamepads pointed up towards my face so its more pushing joystick forward and backward to me. This is why people have to be careful with words. Back in the day, joysticks didn't have a button underneath them, but now they do thanks to the Xbox. So now if you want to push the button underneath the joystick, you do actually have to push down to press it.

Plus I don't recall any new games I have bought that have up as up, then again I think there is a feature in Microsoft accounts to always tell games to invert, either that or I forgotten that I changed the setting

12. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Well, I experimented. Inverted Y, had a walk around Huddersfield station, felt quite natural so was encouraged to have a drive. Over to Darlington, class 31, head movements absolutely fine, however, anything requiring accurate positioning of the cursor....forget it! Turning the aws on felt like I'd had several pints of real ale. Had another go at Red Dead Redemption 2 with Y inverted. Again, walking around, felt better but aiming a rifle, even worse than usual! So to sum up, for head movements, invert Y, for hand movements leave it alone! That's just my experience and it doesn't really help in my attempt to finish chapter one of RDR2! I think 12 months of TSW have rewired my brain.

13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

After several pints of real ale you'd certainly need the aws switched on. Plus every other safety system! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

I'm inverter since i played first time Interceptor on the Amiga. In TSW too- of course! Its solid wired in my head ;-) That was the first i did, after the first start of the game. What else? Thanxs for sharing the article.

15. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

After reading your posts, I suddenly self-doubted... LOL... and had to check next time I ran a few games, to see what I did... including TSW. I very rarely change the Y-axis on any game (and if I do, I forget about it).

With TSW, for me, when walking about... then up means look-up on one stick, and walk forward on the other. Both of these are 2D actions...maybe... like looking at a sheet of paper hanging in front of you, or walking on a flat floor surface.

But when it is 3D - so controlling a vehicle (or flying like superman), then the movement controller has to be up to pitch downwards, and down to pitch upwards, like on an aircraft. L/R are then roll L/R. But the look controller is still up=up, and down=down.

All that said - if I encounter a game where you can't invert the y-axis, and I'd like to, then within about two minutes I tend to forget that it is the wrong way-around (for me), for that game. And then I go through the same quick re-learning if I pick up that game a few days later (or longer).

16. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Yes, after reevaluating my actions this about sums up my movement to. As I say space games without any up & down reference get a little more... confusing. Well to my brain anyway.