Thameslink: St. Albans City - Sutton Loop

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aran, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Route-Information:

This is my route suggestion for the Thameslink section from St. Albans City in the North of London to Sutton in the South. It would go under London through the Central Tunnel starting in the modern London St. Pancras Intl. station and ending in London Blackfriars which has a wonderfull view over the River Thames running through London and the numerous bridges crossing it including Tower Bridge.
    After passing said section there are two ways to get to Sutton, one going via. Wimbledon which Comes into Sutton from the West, and the other coming in from the East after stopping at Mitcham Junction. Thameslink trains drive over both sections to prevent having to switch ends at Sutton, thus saving time.

Switching to the North, after leaving the tunnel you stop at stations like West Hamstead Thameslink, which has out of station interchange options with the North London Line which is part of the London Overground and the London Underground Jubilee Line.

Another good thread for the same section of the Thameslink network can be found here.

[​IMG]

Services:

As services you would have the Thameslink Service running across the entire route, stopping at all stations and alternating between the Wimbledon and the Mitcham Junction line, as well as a Semi-fast Thameslink train coming from Brighton or Lewes which you would take over at either Elepahnt & Castle or London Blackkfriars. Them proceeding to stop at City Thameslink, Farringdon, St. Pancras International in the core section and then as a fast Service only stopping at West Hamspstead and St. Albans City.
    There would also be Freight Services in the St. Albans area.

For People who also own the East Coastway Add-On for Train Sim World, there could be an extra Southern Service in form of the limited Service from Tulse Hill to Mitcham Junction via the Sutton loop.

Trains:

For the Thameslink Services we would have the Class 700 in both 8 Car formations for the Sutton Service and 12 Car formations for the Semi-Fast runs. The freight Trains would be pulled by the Class 66 in EWS livery.
    The Southern Service would utilise the class 377/4 from the East Coastway DLC.

[​IMG]

Special Features:

-Dual Voltage
    : Due to the Bedford Mainline being powered with AC Overhead Electric wires and the Sutton loop with DC Third rail, a power Change has to occur in the core Tunnels specifically at Farringdon Station. There the class 700 must lower its Pantograph and the so called shoes to connect with the Third rail or vice versa.

-ATO (optional)
    : In the central tunnels, the Thameslink trains drive with ATO (Automatic-Train-Opperation) where the Train drives fully automatically and the driver is only required to close the doors after boarding. This feature is however not strictly necessary and while I would love to see it, I wish it to be optional as I would still like the option of opperating the train myself.

Future DLC:

The only train which can currently be added to the route is the Class 319 for Thameslink services, it would be in FCC livery and also feature the dual voltage system. It would not feature ATO as this system was not around until the 700s entered service. It could possibly also utilize the multiple timetable functionality introduced with the GWE '70s themed loco pack with a timetable for before and after the 700 replaced the 319s.

Licensing issue:

Licensing has Always been a problem for Train Simulator and continues to be one for TSW, however I don't think it will cause problems for this route. Both Thameslink and Southern are owned by Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) and as DTG have received the Southern license for the class 377/4 on the ECW route, I believe it won`t be a problem here either.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. A_normal_name

A_normal_name Member

Good proposal but not sure if I like the idea of the 66 being reused for the 3rd time

3. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Yeah it`s not ideal, however that`s the only freight train opperating in that area which doesn`t leave me with much choice. If you can think of something then please tell me here and I can edit the post.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Awesome we can always live in hope