PC Biggest Issues Or Bugs Across Tsw

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Feb 21, 2020.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

7CBE3A51-F3E4-4556-BFC6-1B6AD4F418C2.jpeg Bugs are like little aliens.
    Good afternoon to my fellow Train Sim World community. Now that I possibly have got your attention, I created this thread hoping that I could get all of us to engage in a constructive and civil conversation. We all have put countless hours into TSW, We know this simulator better then anyone. As well as trains in general from many of the posts I’ve read over time. I’ve also learned that we are all very passionate people that I’m sure extends past this TSW forum into the rest of your lives. The reason I’ve chosen to share these words with you is because I know this can be a very difficult topic on a forum, but I do believe that if we can find some common ground we will be better for it, and hopefully TSW will be as well.
    What major bugs and issue fixes in TSW could improve this simulator?
    (Core game, all routes and locomotives)

What major bugs and issue fixes in TSW could improve certain routes?
    (Route, locomotives or safety systems)

Thank you for your time and I’ll be happy to hear from you all. We can accomplish more if we work together. I would like to gather up some of the answers to make into a poll. I believe if we can all agree on a couple major issues that would make our time with this simulator more enjoyable across all routes we all gain from this.
    (Disclaimer: This thread is not the official bug report system. If you have a bug problem, and wish to report it in the official manner, please go to the official Bug report forum to do that kind of stuff. We are only unofficially official. Please be kind to everyone.)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Nice thread. Hopefully it’ll get read and recognised. I’ll add my contribution below:

Core game suggestions and improvements and features:

- A better passenger loading system - make the countdown timer fill up at the same time applicable to the game time and your booked departure. Don’t default it to 30/60 seconds and then have it say: Wait until XX:XX

- Make NPC’s behaviour less zombie like -
    Currently NPC’s will stand lifelessly in one spot on a platform. Made worse when it is raining and they are just wearing a T-Shirt for example.

- Introduce a better skybox - The clouds visually aren’t very good. They look very basic and depending on which way the camera is facing, the colour of the clouds goes to a very dark grey colour.

- Improve shadows and lighting - This in particular can be very hit and miss. At some times the lighting can look quite nice but at other times it can look absolutely awful and off. Regarding the shadows, the draw distance is ridiculously short. You can clearly see where the draw distance ends in front of you and you often ‘chase’ shadows in front of your train whilst driving. Spoiling the immersion.

- Improve the 2D map - To put it simply, the 2D map is missing a lot of things and offers little to no use currently. The most obvious thing that is missing is labels. Include things like station, junction and siding names. As well as signal I.D numbers.

- Out of bounds restriction - This is one of my biggest annoyances. If you accidentally stroll too far away from the main map, the game will kick you out the session and back to the main menu. This can simply be resolved by adding an invisible wall.

- Introduce and passenger information system and announcements - Whilst in game, there is absolutely no way of telling when the next train is due or its calling points along the route. The map, as previously mentioned, tells you absolutely nothing of trains on the line. Not even a head code. This will quite drastically improve the immersion around the station environment with working announcements and departure screens.

- Introduce rubbish/3D objects on passenger trains - Even something as small as a coffee cup and newspaper on the tables will make it seem like the service is well used and used by actual people.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The loading times can be changed, it depends on who is making the scenario or service.

• Like Like x 1
  4. londonmidland

You misread. It’s the yellow bar inside the circle which doesn’t ‘talk’ to the departure time of your service and game time. It’ll always fill up at a 30 or 60 second rate and then say ‘Wait Until XX:XX’

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Yeah. That can be changed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. londonmidland

You still don’t understand... It can be changed to a set timer, 30, 60, 90 seconds etc, but it doesn’t work in real time appropriate to your arrival and departure time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

The timer is a bit of a semi logical thing, currently it works as you can set a minimum loading time for a station say 30 seconds (which is fairly logical, since that's generally what is used for most timetable planning in some timetables), if you arrive on time the minimum load time should coincide with the departure time so you don't get a disconnect.

If however you arrive early you get there will be a disconnect since you can't depart till either after the scheduled arrival time + loading time (if used) or the departure time (if used), since after all you can't leave early. So there is reasons for it, if you arrive early and the loading is completed you still can't depart till the scheduled time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. londonmidland

The timer isn’t adaptive in real time, basically.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

I’m a little confused. I leave early fairly regularly as on some routes it’s a prerequisite to have any chance at all of making the ‘schedule’.

That said, the timer system does need changing. For me this is one of those TS type issues that has carried over into TSW, and really could have been done to be completely redesigned & rebuilt.

On the note of the OP, there are two main issues with TSW that I would like to see addressed. I think a good number of these ‘core’ problems could be sorted out if the engine was brought up to date. Every DLC release at the minute is hampered by the same core bugs that have existed for a year or two.

Secondly, I just wish that an element of quality control was introduced into the production of the game as there is absolutely no consistency. Often you’ll find something can be really very good in one DLC and very poor the next. There are bugs, and too many big ones, for my liking, but attention to detail and checking of work doesn’t seem to quite as robust as it could be.

Two of the more recent illustrations of what I’m talking about. Firstly a patch for the missing flange squeal is released for ECW but is broken. I can’t get my head around how that happens. If it’s broken, why release it at all?! Secondly (and admittedly I’ve only read about this elsewhere) the reused level crossing asset in the new DLC required a minor change to make them accurate to the real world. It wasn’t done but was so obvious to anyone who knows the area.

These are small wins and marginal gains that keep being missed, and are only two examples of the many that exist. Essentially the game is good, and is generally getting better, albeit very very slowly. I’d like to see more care taken, and more robust quality control put in place. I’d like to see DLC only be released as and when they’re ready, rather than have an arbitrary date that cannot be changed. Then and only then will the narrative around TSW change from one of frustration to one of positivity.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Bugs:

1) My main gripe is on NTP with the Peak when it enters the station and you want to take it over and you cannot enter the cab or climb up the steps.

2) The other bug which annoys me is when I have taken over a service, this has happened to me only with the class 47 on NTP and there is an alarm sounding and no matter what you do you cannot reset it.

There are probably others but these are the two that spring to mind foremost. I believe the odd signalling on ECW has been fixed, I haven't ran it since the update?

Improvements:

1) Atmosphere, I have spoken a few times about the lack of atmosphere on the WSR and environs, lack of people on the beach, lack of railway enthusiasts around the stations, in the fields etc. It doesn't "sound" like you are on a preserved railway. This also applies to other routes.

2) Variety of passengers, they are all the same, where are the elderly, the young, families with prams, a group on a night out, smart office workers with brief cases and umbrellas? As stated above, passengers for different weather types would be great.

3) Ability to roam. I think you should be able to roam a little beyond the station limits, at least onto the road behind, areas that are modelled but not accessible. I want to walk up one of the country lanes by the WSR and take a photo or wonder across the fields or maybe into Watchets main street or into the roads immediately around Huddersfield or maybe wonder to the seafront at Saltburn. I do find it frustrating.

4) I think it would be good to have some kind of station announcements as in service mode you don't know when the train is coming. They could be era specific, the old style VDU's on NTP for example

5) As far as individual routes are concerned I would like to see some changes to NTP service mode. I have a cassette with a recording of a class 40 at Leeds in around 1983 on a passenger service terminating at Manchester, it would be good to have a couple of those where you would have to run the loco round the stock. More DMU's would be great but that isn't really a issue. Another annoying feature is that the passenger stock is always running the same way round with the BG at the rear whether East or Westbound as though there are big loops and Liverpool and Newcastle, it isn't a model railway!

6) GWE, be nice to see this route added too in some way, at least with more stock. It is still one of the visually best routes in my opinion.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

I most enjoy driving during winter and early/late hours so the most important bugs at the moment for me are:
    - headlights on multiple locos do not cast lights depending on the camera position (video example below)
    - scenery lights during winter are not switched on/off at proper times

Of course, and unfortunately, there are tons of other bugs in this game which I've not mentioned here.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Sounds.

• Like Like x 3
  13. matthewbguilford

I’ll add something small that I think would really make a big difference across all routes and that is...Vehicles and people waiting at crossings. I like to sound my horn when approaching a crossing and I always have this empty feeling when going across them. Having a couple cars and/or people waiting for my train to go by would be something small that would add a lot.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Traxx

Traxx New Member

I think this depends on the route. In LIRR I've seen cars waiting at crossings. In Rapid Transit though people just walk through it into your train

15. matthewbguilford

I’ll have the hop into LIRR soon then! I mostly think of it when I’m on Peninsula corridor, I get excited to see a car but they always turn down the side street when they get to one and it feels lonely when your passing a dozen crossings. I think even static cars and people would be more then okay. I really liked when watching a Train Simulator 2020 video that you actually got rated on using your horn and I think that would be an awesome addition, then again I also really like the TS2020 map UI that conveys when your coming up to a station or a crossing.

16. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I agree on the Passenger Information screens and announcements; something even TS1 failed to achieve. I agree with all
    the points not just the one. Keep up the fight all for a better sim

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i think the guard buzzing us at stations to set off would be good and for us to reply with the buzzer would help with immersion. i agree with what everyone else has said on this thread especially about passengers and people on stations or around the lines, ie taking photos, numbers. even on lakes as we pass by lets see people fishing. to me TSW is just a dead world out there.

i know this thread is more about the bugs but i can live with them even though they are annoying and dont get fixed ie BR 155.

by the way i just noticed this is for PC thread lol. i use a PS4

• Like Like x 5
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes the guards buzzer or a whistle for the older routes in particular would be great and add so much to the immersion aspect of the sim.

The BR 155 is one of the few items I don't have yet so can't comment but some people seem to have a problem and some not so not sure what the answer is there.

Well it applies across all platforms to I don't think that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

sound mixing is bad to terrible - running sounds are way too loud 85% the time on every loco and engines really lack any form of oomf youd expect from a 1980s diesel

the class 31 kinda nails the rattle noises - why does no other loco feature this? every loco, no matter how modern rattles somewhere.

everything is dead - like others have said before, its all just dead. zombie AI, too few AI, everything is swanky clean (the tracks on NTP are miles ahead of anything else) why is all the troughing perfectly aligned - granted I only did 2 years on the railway but I never saw such neat troughing - the ground is spotless, the trees are still shi*e and have leaves no matter time of year - is it really that hard to add some shi**y toilet paper to the ballast texture. the vegetation is PS3 levels of detail - watch any cab video and look at how overgrown everything is....

simply put there are better freeware TS20 routes out for level of detail. FEEL THE DETAIL - REACH OUT AND TOUCH THE 360p

• Like Like x 2
  20. trainsfiend

trainsfiend New Member

Yes I agree with you completely... Class 31 is superb compared to pretty much any other loco in the game.

21. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

33s not bad.

22. londonmidland

Simply because without help from external people or companies, DTG’s products are always going to be ‘average’ if it is created and produced solely by them in house.

The extra detail does not come by default. Armstrong Powerhouse helped DTG with some of their sounds (not sure about setup) for the Class 377. If they weren’t involved, I doubt the 377 would sound anything like what we’ve got now.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

I must stress, AP only provided the recordings (and only some of them), they didn't do anything to actually implement the sounds.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  24. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

How long have people been mentioning how bad the sky box is? Given the fact its always photoshopped in their marketing they are clearly aware its dogsh*t.... Will they ever actually bother to change it?

• Like Like x 3
  25. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

For me it's just QoL improvements.
    1) Enhancements for X1X to make the visuals less blurry.
    2) Improved draw istances
    3) Working LED arrival/departure boards (or even a simple poster) on platforms to inform of train times.
    4) More passengers. All trains are virtually empty.
    5) An optional help box if you hang the cursor over a button/switch to explain what it's for.

26. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see improved realism for braking systems, at least with American freight as that is all I have for TSW. The brakes are too strong and react too quickly, minimum brake pipe reduction is 10 pounds in TSW, in real life you can start off with any amount of reduction you want, even 1-2 pounds. It also seems to me, although I don't have a way to verify this, is that all of the cars start braking at the same time. In real life the cars at the front of the train will start braking first because the air is being let out of the brake pipe at the front of the train. If it is being modeled correctly someone please educate me. You can quickly bring a long heavy train to a stop going down a steep hill with a minimum brake pipe reduction in TSW which is just not realistic.

I would also like to see wind resistance and drag from going through curves added to the physics, pretty sure these are not modeled.

• Like Like x 1
  27. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

You are talking about the actual load time itself, which is independent to the schedule arrival/departure time. In routes like Rapid Transit, this is always a full minute, which is kind of ridiculous since S-Bahn trains don't usually wait that long at stations. This can be changed however. An example is LIRR where the load time is 20 seconds, which is way quicker than any other route, and is true to life operations. So the ability is there to change it, but it's up to DTG to make that possible.

My biggest gripes are:

1. Ambient occlusion not working correctly in newer DLCs like the MP36 BiLevel Cab car, and the GP9 in Oakville (don't have this DLC, but have received confirmation this issue exist in the DLC). You can noticeably hear exterior sounds more clearly than in other DLCs, which demonstrates maybe incomplete sound mixing?

2. No wet platform textures or missing wetness properties in newer routes like ECW and Caltrain. Whether it's max precipitation or a sunny day, the platform looks the exact same given the cloud conditions are the same. This makes older DLCs like LIRR look more visually appealing than newer ones in certain cases. It's not just platforms, in ECW, the roads are dry as well even in max rain.

3. Sound quality is very inconsistent across all DLCs. There are legitimate explanations for this, but this really shouldn't matter since every DLC is priced the same, so they should be held to the same standard. The MP36 sounds very close to real life (minus the cab occlusion issue), and it is very clear that it was produced using real recordings (DTG was on Caltrain property to record sounds), but DLCs like LIRR, Rapid Transit, and Oakville have abysmal sounds. If they cannot be on site to record sounds, maybe they should buy sounds from other companies like what they did for Armstrong Powerhouse for the 377 or outsource recordings.

4. AI in certain routes are too scarce. The biggest culprit for this is LIRR. Matt is working on a more realistic timetable, but there is no assurance that this will ever release. The very fact that a developer has to go out of his way to add rail traffic AFTER RELEASE, shows how rushed or little effort went into the product at release. Even in newer routes like ECW, London bound trains to Seaford and Eastbourne aren't included.

5. Graphic Draw Distance needs a complete overhaul. Being able to see where the world limit for shadows cut off, is somewhat distracting, and seeing scenery like trees pop in once you are in range is distracting as well. I don't have a solution for this, but I hope these can be rectified in the future so having persistent skylines and better distant forests would be a very welcome addition. This would also solve the problem of having distant trees in the winter be all white since you are rendering the trees further.

6. Allowing further customization in service mode weather properties. Right now, every route only has 4 preset "dates" which really limits us. This is why you can only see trees with no leaves in very few routes like RSN or MSB, because those are the only routes with Autumn set to a date where there are no leaves on trees. Unfortunately, this causes colorful autumn trees to never show up since the AUTUMN slot takes place closer to a typical winter date instead. The opposite happens in the other routes, where you have trees with leaves when you select WINTER. Adding specific dates also causes issues when we want to drive in conditions such as Autumn Rain at night, since the temperature is too cold to accommodate this, and as a result, we get snow instead. This locked system needs to be abolished, and we should be given a calendar selection so we can pick and choose the exact date we wish to drive in and the temperature as well. That way we can factor in properties such as daylight savings time, trees with leaves, rain in the winter, rain in autumn nights, ect. Maybe dynamic weather can be looked into once a system like this is in place.

7. Adding and fixing features/bugs in older routes. Bugs like East River tunnel signalling locking you to 20mph the entire journey through the tunnel have persisted since release date for NEC. These issues really should be fixed by now and it is a travesty that it is not. They should also update older DLCs to allow quality of life improvements in newer DLCs such as PIS for the M7 for LIRR, or for the Talent 2 in Rapid Transit.

8. Variable adhesion and weather affecting train physics. Right now, trains handle the same whether it be in a sunny day or in a winter blizzard. Adding wheelslip and adhesion to tracks, would be a breath of fresh air for ALL DLCs, and is probably the biggest thing on my wishlist apart from the editor. This really should be added in the next big engine update.

• Like Like x 5
  28. Anthony Pecoraro

Yes, the brakes applying in the front of the train first is simulated. If you have a real long freight train, like in CSX Heavy Haul, and you watch the brake shoes, you’ll see the front ones move first, then if use the camera to fly to the back of the train, you will then see the ones in the back move. The same happens when releasing.

29. StratPlayer62

Well that is good to hear but it still only proves that the animation of what is supposed to happen is being modeled, not necessarily that the resistance to movement is being applied along each car proportional to the amount of brake pipe reduction. And it still does not change the fact that the brakes are too strong. Would be nice to hear from DTG on this.

30. Anthony Pecoraro

Have you seen the video about SimuGraph?

31. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

Why do the AI trains run around with headlights on full on the front and rear on the Peninsular Corridor.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  32. StratPlayer62

Yes. Again that does not prove that it is being implemented properly, only that it can be. How many things have we seen that are not implemented properly or not at all in TSW?

33. Anthony Pecoraro

A bug, I suppose.