PlayStation So Far, Which Train Have You Found The Most Complex To Operate?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TomGardinerUK, Mar 4, 2020.

1. TomGardinerUK

TomGardinerUK New Member

Without the addition of training, perhaps if you just wanna jump straight in too it, which train out of the current selection of trains on PS4 and other consoles, have you found hardest to operate?

Personally the DB freight trains for German routes confuse me, even the Class 66 was difficult to figure out at first. I sit in the cab for about 10 minutes sometimes before it's actually moving - but the challenge is absolutely enjoyable. I think my easiest operational train is the HST. I've sat in the cabs of all the German ones but still yet haven't actually got one on the move. I really should get too it.

If you're able to quickly operate all trains, perhaps I'll reword it for you, which train was the most complex to drive?

Pretty new here to the forums, so just trying to make some interesting conversation :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Hi Tom and welcome.

Yeah the German locos do seem a bit space age when you look at all the controls. But probably the least space age and most mechanical machine is the hardest to operate for most. The class 101 dmu. Hard to master but most rewarding when you do. I still screw the braking up on occasions. OK regularly. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Agree with PjM - any train with brake lapping adds to the challenge of getting the thing stopped (in the right place), so the 101 and particularly the Caltrain F40PH-2CAT and Gallery cab cars where it's very easy to accidentally trigger the emergency lock out or turn off the train!

• Like Like x 2
  4. TomGardinerUK

TomGardinerUK New Member

Ah yes - can never get my trains to stop directly on the blue marker yet. One day I will!

• Like Like x 2
  5. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I suspect the 101's lapped brakes are easier in real life because you've got a big handle to control them with. It would give you a bit more feel and subtlety than does prodding away at a button. Same goes for the manual gears I would think. I need some big levers. :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I struggle with the German trains too and not with just getting them going in the first place. On MSB, I can’t remember what the train is called, I find myself having to throttle up, then down, then back up to get it moving after each station, as no power is added on the first throttle addition, and on uphill grades it always rolls backwards a bit while I’m going through this process. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but can’t work out what it is.

Of the trains I drive a lot, the Class 101 is the one that has the most going on. If you were to find yourself in that without any training, you would definitely have serious trouble figuring it all out. Then, even when you know how to do everything, it’s still hard to drive, especially achieving a gentle stop for your passengers in the correct place at the platform.

The 166 and HST on GWE are probably the easiest to drive well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TomGardinerUK

TomGardinerUK New Member

It's somewhat similar to my issue with MSB by the sounds of it. I find the Class 101 to be complicating too, even though it looks simple. The HST is the easiest for me overall, the 166 as well. The 377 on EC is pretty simple and standard too!

8. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

As I’ve said here before, the HST has been implemented poorly. The brake release/recharging of the brake pipe is almost instantaneous in the game so it’s no wonder it’s so easy because it is like operating a modern unit.

Turbos and electrostar handling is virtually exactly the same and same driving technique apart from the electrostar accelerates quickly obviously being an electric unit.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

DB BR 155 with safety features turned on and Class 101 DMU.

10. JustAVaporeon

JustAVaporeon Active Member

I personally find the BR Class 101 the hardest to operate in NTP and TVL, mostly because of the braking. Acceleration isn't an issue but i often get the braking either done too early or too late. Easiest train to operate is the Class 377/4 on the ECW route for me.

And welcome to the forums :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

It seems we've reached a consensus here.

For me, I cannot wrap my head around the safety systems on German locomotives. I've tried to drive with them on but then I get an emergency brake application a few hundred feet down the line and can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. I've tried to read the manuals and search online for help but come up with nothing helpful for me so I just drive with them off.

The Class 101 was also a little tricky to figure out at first but it feels good to drive when you get it down. I can drive manual in a vehicle and the basic functionality is similar so catching on wasn't too difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

SiFa - acknowledge with Q key every time the SiFa lamp lights up (or press the button as a prevention)
    PZB - you can bind the acknowledge button to something easier to reach, press it every time after you drive over a magnet - little box on the right, just next to the rail. When you get used to it, the simple rule is - acknowledge every time you pass a sign announcing or decreasing speed limit and every time you pass a signal or distant signal showing anything yellow.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Thanks Cael! I'll have to give it another go with this post in mind when I get in game after work. The PZB was the system that always tripped me up so I'll try and tackle it with these tips.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

Definitely the Class 101. It's changing the gears which always makes it tricky for me. I find the F40PH and it's cab car to be tricky as well due to the braking. For the German routes, I play it on "vanilla" mode but the BR 155 definitely sticks out due to it's unusual design.

Easiest by far for me is the 377.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomGardinerUK

TomGardinerUK New Member

Easiest for me is the HST, hardest is the 101. 100%

• Like Like x 2
  16. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Sifa is pretty easy. Every x seconds you'll see a white Sifa-light come on your screen in the cab. After about 2 seconds an alarm will start sound (in more modern loc's it will be a voice saying: Sifa, Sifa). Just push the O-button to cofirm and that's it. You get about 5 seconds or so to confirm, if you're to late the train will go into emergency brake and you'll have to reset the train.

PZB is a bit more difficult indeed. I searched YouTube for PZB tutorials and after some digging I found some good ones that explained it pretty clearly. So have a look around, it's defenitely worth the effort. The first couple of trips you'll most likely get a few things wrong (emergency stops), but hang in there. Once you get the hang of it, it makes for a much more rewarding experience.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Days ago i had to experience, that the Cat F40PH-2 can be tricky too. Because of resetting the emergency brake resp. restart the engine. Anyway, the handling of (any) lapping brakes needs some practise.

I didnt drive the 101 until now, therefor i wanna try to use a keyboard. Mayby this would be easier? Any experiences with it? And mayby it could be useful, to customize the buttons of the controller? Need to try this. It would be to bad, these nice loco not to dare.

The Talent in Rapid Trasit and the M7 in Lirr, have weak brakes, regarding to the acceleration.
    I'm looking forward to the other locomotives in any further routes. Until then, i have just any services to do, from the collectors edition... So keep on driving ;-)

18. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

The ACS-64. Damn the location of that reverser! Also the braking in that class 31 for passenger services is really tough. Anything that has lap brakes is also hard to master!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Although Id say the German trains are more complex when using PZB and SIFA. Id say purely for driving, the 31. Those brakes take forever to release, got to be careful when stopping.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JustAVaporeon

JustAVaporeon Active Member

Oh yes. The 31. Like the realism of the braking with it but I honestly gotta say it's a nightmare to release them and stop accurately. Imagine using a time machine and driving the real Class 31 on the TVL

21. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

Anything deseil! I'm an electric guy. Emu's are my go to. Loving the LIRR! I ride it frequently and know the feeling of how those trains ride so I've gotten use to controlling them pretty quickly. I thought I'd have a problem with the ACS-64 but it's an electric! I've gotten use to it. Bit the deseils man! Holy moly I still can't get a grasp on them! I just recently got some tricks on braking from you guys here but it's still slow going!