Hud Gauges

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jack.kuiper.18, Mar 5, 2020.

1. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

Add numbers to the HUD gauges for PSI on the brake pipe, brake cylinder, and equalizer reservoir meters.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trim

Trim Active Member

Quite honestly, I don't think it is necessary. I don't really want them to be any bigger and the HUD is cluttered enough as it is. In general, you can work out where the needles need to be, or what the effect of their movement is, and if you actually need to know the pressures, then there are gauges in the cab. They are meant to be looked at, you know.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

I understand, but especially in the F40PH-2CAT and it's cab car, the lapping brake service requires constant attention to the PSI and the gauges are out of the frame on PS4.

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Also the red needles on the HUD brakes are almost impossible to see. They could be made thicker so they stand out better, or be red with a white tip.

5. Trim

Trim Active Member

I've just noticed that the British Rail class 47 has the cylinder brake pressure in psi (as is usual in British locomotives of this era), but the brake pipe pressure gauge is in bar. Furthernore, since the brake pipe pressire guage goes up to 10 bar but the usual release pressure is 5 bar, the needle on the HUD gauge points to about half past three, rather than the usual two o'clock positon (72 psi with a 100 psi gauge). Since the class 47 has a self-lapping brake controller, there isn't much need to look at the gauges - you can go by the brake handle position - so I hadn't noticed this before.

I suppose that if they added numbers to the HUD gauges, that would at least get rid of this inconsistency.