Western New York And Pennsylvania Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by dereknolder, Mar 5, 2020.

1. dereknolder

dereknolder Member

WNYP.PNG The WNYP operates a system centered on Olean, NY. The Southern Tier Extension heads east to the Norfolk Southern Railway's (NS' Southern Tier Line at Hornell and West to NS at Meadville, with a branch continuing to the Oil City area). Since 2007, the WNYP also operates the former Norfolk Southern Buffalo line from Driftwood, PA to Machias, NY.
    The WNY&P operates a system centered on Olean, where it operates the ex-Erie yard just west of the crossing of its two main lines. The Southern Tier Extension heads east to the Norfolk Southern Railway's (NS's) Southern Tier Line at Hornell and west to NS at Meadville, with a branch continuing to the Oil City area. The WNY&P's segment of the Buffalo Line stretches north to Machias, a junction with the Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad (B&P), and south over Keating Summit to Driftwood, which the B&P and NS both serve.[1] Other connections include the Canadian Pacific Railway at Hornell, B&P at Salamanca and Corry, New York and Lake Erie Railroad at Waterboro, and Oil Creek and Titusville Lines at Rouseville.[2] The NYLE connection has been out of service for decades; as it stands, the NYLE stops at a dead end several miles north of the WNY&P track. The NYLE has expressed interest in rehabilitating the line and restoring the connection.[3]

Since 2001, when the WNY&P began operation of the Southern Tier Extension from Corry PA to Hornell NY per a sub-lease with Norfolk Southern, local service levels have increased from less than one to several trains per day. NS retains overhead trackage rights and operates daily coal trains over the line from Southwestern Pennsylvania to Upstate New York and New England.[4] WNY&P business on the Buffalo Line includes hauling coal from Emporium (north of Driftwood) to a power plant at Jamestown (west of Olean).[1] and the locos to be included the Famous ALCos and new to the roster the GE AC60CW
    wnyp430_roster.jpg 48818238611_303806984b_b.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. dereknolder

dereknolder Member

JGRudnick i live about 2 minutes from the WNYP Main Yard in Olean were all the new Locos they get go there first. And they have given me a tour of the whole olean shop they took me in the cab of the ALCO c424 road number 426. And i might be going over there again soon for a tour of the new AC60CW i will make sure to tell them about TSW and to consider working with them on a new route.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome! I wish I could get in one of those locomotives!

• Like Like x 1
  5. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you.