The Ntp Trains Are Driving Me Nuts!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Hordriss, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

I know this is probably just me, but I cannot figure these things out!
    I was driving a route from Leeds to Manchester in the 45, which only stopped at Huddersfield on the way. I got to Huddersfield with no problem, but then needed to stop so I saved with the intention of picking the journey up next time.

When I reloaded, the train would not move. I tried everything I could think of, from turning everything off, setting the reverser to off/neutral (whatever the setting is called), reapplied and unapplied the brakes. The most I could manage was it meekly rolling backwards a bit, even though the reverser was set to forward. I could not figure it out so just quit.

Then I tried a route with the 101. I'd done the tutorial with that, but clearly I need to revisit it as I couldn't get it to go above around 13mph. I shifted the gears up, ensuring the throttle was down, but no dice.

The GWR trains are much simpler to figure out for sure!

2. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

There has been known issues when saving the game when driving the 45 and u seem to lose all control, as for the 101, make sure you put the trottle back to idle before changing gears

3. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

I did idle the throttle in the 101. Maybe I'll have to retry.

And at least that answers my issues with the 45. Note to self, only start a journey in that if you have time to finish it!

Thanks for the reply.

4. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Also when u have idle the throttle, wait for the needle to drop out of the yellow section, that should then allow you to go faster

5. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Unfortunately a "game save" is a fairly complex UI action for TSW (although it was solved in the mid 1980s by most software developers, when external media became widely available for persistent data storage, like Winchester drives and floppy disks). This sort of "advanced tech" development has not yet properly arrived with TSW. That's because the UI in TSW is extremely under-developed and largely untested, without any suitable effectiveness in QA or QC. It's just one of those things.

Anyway - you have found your own salvation. I do exactly what you have concluded - I never save a TSW game - there is no point. It's like trying to extend the life of a pint of milk by putting it in the washing machine - on the hot setting normally used for cleaning the clothes of a coal miner.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Class 45 can be worked around in this case by standing up and sitting down if you reload from a save, the DSD pedal isn't saving its position when resuming from a save. Standing up and sitting down resets the DSD, its known about.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'd say with the 101 make sure the brakes are fully released. Leave the handle in the off position for a while before returning it to lap, the gauge will eventually stop moving. Also just in case, check the handbrake isn't on - the big round wheel.

8. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Maybe the standing up and sitting down procedure should be added to the manual....? And/or maybe there needs to be a reminder in the game to tell people to stand and sit down a few times...?

And perhaps...after a save position is re-instated, the up-down-up-down process can be subjected to some dancing music... Benny Hill theme tune, maybe....?

9. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Thanks. I had more luck with the 101 last night after redoing the tutorial. Much practice needed to get stopping at a station right in it though!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Oh yes it's a tricky thing to master. It's very rewarding when you get it right though... I'm told. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

It's tricky knowing when the ideal distance is to start applying the brakes. I've found myself either overshooting or stopping way too soon.

It has to said, the class 166 on the Great Western line is a walk in the park compared to these old beasts!

12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

It's a matter of adding a little brake pressure then returning it to the lap position and letting it slow gradually.
    This thread might help.

13. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

That's really helpful thanks - there's no in game explanation as to what the Lap position means, so it was entirely guesswork and I was clearly getting it a bit wrong lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I thought afterwards - If you want to read any of the more detailed manuals for the routes and locos you can find them HERE

And timetables if wanted them are HERE

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Try to help your stop with the direct brake too. At about 3 miles from stop i begin to put the direct brake at 70 or 80% then I start to reduce the speed with the train brake at min application, and increase the brake near the station. You are even able to use the throttle to balance your speed if you move too slow. This "trick" helped me a lot.

Note: I also use the permanent direct brake like a sort of AFB (to balance my speed in the descent part of the route)

16. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Sorry, do you mean the driver's brake or the straight brake?

17. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Yeah, Im sorry, my mistake... as direct brake I mean straight brake. Use the straight brake like a sort of manual AFB and then the driver brake to stop definitely the train :)

As I said previously I use pemanently straigh brake from 50 to 80% to balance the train speed during the descent part of the Pennine, and apply ALSO (so both) the driver brake when I need to reduce the speed drastically or/and stop the train.

And again, to have a better control of the train I use both straight brake + throttle at same time. (and obviously the driver brake to Release/Running/0)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You should never use the straight brake in that manner. It is only for when you are driving light loco (no carriages/wagons attached). Practise using only the driver’s brake to slow or stop the train, it’s not that difficult when you get used to it, and it is how the train should be driven.

• Like Like x 2