PlayStation Some Ideas For An Anticipated Editor For Train Sim World 2020 (ps4)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustAVaporeon, Mar 10, 2020.

1. JustAVaporeon

JustAVaporeon Active Member

A future editor for consoles could possibly be in the works, but the core game is the main focus and the editor is just an idea people have had.
    So I'm gonna ask:
    What would YOU like to see in a future editor for Train Sim World if it was announced to be in the works?

2. Bkulesza

Bkulesza Member

That last word is key: works.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

There will never be an editor on PS4. The chance of user-generated content being available on PS4 is slim. The best we can hope for is approved content made by third parties working closely with DTG which will hopefully be of at least equivalent quality, but longer and better tested than the DLC we have today.

• Like Like x 4
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think at this point I would like a basic feature that says 'Run this loco, on this route (choose from any you own), with this weather' etc. Not an editor as such but something that just lets you set your own Class 33 or 52 service out of Paddington rather than the choices we have now. We already have this system but it is restricted to the confines of the DLC you are playing. The more DLC's you own the more possibilities you have. I know there are some issues to sort with braking, substitution etc but Matt did say on one of the recent DTG streams that they are looking at how this would work

• Like Like x 4
  5. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

A playstation is for entertainment- not for editing! TSW is a Trainsim, not Minecraft! In the free-game-mode i can choose everything i want. What want i more? Bugfixes or addons without bugs and glitches, because i pay for it. DTG has to edit, not me! I want get to entertain. New routes, locos and maybe a steam-loc with simplified steering would be nice.

For all other issues, i want to refer to TS2020 on the PC! I know all this since MSTS but now i want to get entertain. Therefore i chose TSW2020 for PS4 and not any other version of this game. Wanna drive and enjoy, not editing. Thats all, i pay for that. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

As much as I hope for an editor or a DTG approved 3rd party store of sorts for console versions. We’ve been told that there isnt one. Iam curious to see however if a route creator feature could be run by a Series X or PS5?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

As others have said there won't be an editor on console because it is based on Epic's Unreal editor and Epic haven't got a console version. So when it eventually is released it'll be PC only.

As I've mentioned on one the (many) "Where's My Editor" threads over on the PC section a scenario/services creator would be ideal for most users to tinker with. And since it would be less complex could just work on console. It seems that is a non starter though. :(

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Leaning towards holding off on any more releases and going for PC. Getting the impression that a sizeable chunk of this game will rely on 3rd party mods. Ie sounds on Caltrain switcher, class 66 class 52 horn, wagon sounds, ATP on the HST, longer routes, waiting for 3rd party intervention maybe...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I would like to see the ability to take a loco... say the DB BR 155.... and go in and tweak the gain on the various sound channels, and do a software setting for the loco to prevent the total sound output from exceeding the cut-off levels that are set for the PS4, especially when the loco goes through a tunnel, on RSN.... just for example.

But..... this is something that even DTG's best developers, combined with the very best German route makers, and the very best German loco audio designers are completely unable to accomplish right now, with access to everything. Even the very best and most skilled and super talented designers are not able to do this, with their current editing tools. DTG have apparently been working on this problem flat out for over a year, ever since the bug was first reported, immediately after the loco was tested for the first time by PS4 players that bought the loco when it was released..

So I don't think we will see an Editor, not at least until the combined efforts of DTG and 2nd/3rd party developers can solve the relatively simple problem of stopping the audio from the DB BR 155 breaking, on RSN, on PS4, when it goes through tunnels.

If DTG can't fix the critical sound bug with DB BR 155 on RSN on PS4, one of their flagship and "iconic" loco DLCs, then there is no hope that they could produce any sort of Editor, ever.

• Like Like x 1
  10. synthetic.angel

I haven't tinkered yet (properly) with the TS2020 Editor.... but I have had a glance at it, to see how it manages sound emitting locations... Anyway, this post isn't about the DB BR 155.... so....

I can say that I have put in quite a few hours with the "Workshop" scenario management/sharing system on TS2020... and that it is truly horrific. It is not as bad as the Trainz one (which I tinkered with about five years ago), but it's bad - really bad... it is almost new-PC-breakingly bad - both incredibly sluggish and unstable, with utterly surreal UI features that you have to work around (which consumes many hours, instead of minutes, or even seconds...), which you will thank me for not detailing here too much..... It's mind-blowing stuff though.

But I will say this - I have now shouted at the TV about twenty times.... "WHY WOULD YOU MAKE IT LIKE THAT.....?" - because, for example, you have to reverse-engineer the coding that they created in their minds just to work out how to move down through a list, which should be as easy as pressing a down arrow key.... but for the equivalent of a down arrow key press, you are actually required to do a perfectly sequenced and planned set of very unusual UI interactions, and if you get it wrong then you have to start again... and if you make certain (desired) choices as you move through the list, then the list is then randomised, and you are placed back at the top of the newly randomised list, for you to scroll back down through. It is an electronic version of the Japanese 1980s torture shows, which were broadcast in the UK as a series called "Endurance" - a forerunner to the much more tame challenges in "I Am A Celebrity - Get Me Out Of Here....!"

It is literally almost as if they have carefully designed and crafted that part of the UI in TS2020 - just to make it as difficult to use as you could possibly imagine. Like some sort of advanced IQ test, or a code-breaking test to join MI5 or the CIA signalling intelligence divisions. That is not going to be popular on PS4.

Anyway - there is an easier way to look at this question. DTG cannot make a UI for TSW that is able to count the number of scenarios completed for each route DLC. They implemented a "core" fix for this yesterday, but it doesn't work for WSR, RT or NEC (so it wasn't core......). If DTG can't currently implement a system in the UI that can count as far as eight***, then an Editor is a very long way off, methinks.

----------------
    ***NB: Of course, we already know from the Oakville experience that four is regarded as "countless". So I guess eight would be regarded as "doubly countless".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

That certainly could be the case in the future. At the moment the main mods seem to be repaints and the ability to use trains on different routes. There is certainly a lot more flexibility on PC than on the consoles which has always been the case. If an editor is released one day you can bet it will only be for (high powered) PCs and if DTG choose Steam as the only user content distribution method then consoles will miss out on user generated content all together.

• Like Like x 1
  12. synthetic.angel

How "high powered" is considered "high powered"......? Are we talking about a $1000 tower with a $500 GPU, or a $5000 tower... with bleeding edge 11Gb GPU and an advanced cooling rig......? What would be the spec that you would recommend for TSW on PC..., just to get TSW to work at the same level as it does on PS4 Pro.....?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im thinking towards the sort of specs we see on Matt P streams. Intel i7 1080ti minimum 8gb ram? future proof by getting 16gb.
    All well spending £500 on a PS5 but if its limited to out of the box (some made up) sounds for example, its going to be a let down.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. synthetic.angel

I am assuming that you mean 8Gb of DDR6 on the GPU.... and you'll want an absolute minimum of 16Gb DDR4 RAM on the mainboard..... Even with this set-up (with a Ryzen 7), I found the current build of TSW on a new PC to seriously struggle compared to a nearly end of life PS4 Pro.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't know why ANYONE uses the UI in game to make purchases or browse the workshop. Do it on steam, then the down key does work.

16. synthetic.angel

I didn't use the UI on TS2020 to browse the workshop or make purchases. But... if you can do that from the UI - then it should work... (I assume from what you've said that this also doesn't work..... as I haven't tried this myself, at all). Anyway - anyone new to a piece of software doesn't automatically arrive on scene with pre-loaded knowledge of how the UI is broken, and/or how to workaround it.... Just sayin'..... This sort of stuff doesn't please PS4 players... They expect to get a working WYSIWYG UI.... They want "swish" not "pish".

If the functions you have described don't actually work, but are there as sort of "placeholders" for something in the future...... then it would be helpful if the UI told you that they didn't work, and were not intended to work.

So....... anyway.......... I used Steam to browse the workshop to find user-generated scenarios for TS2020. The search in Steam, in itself, isn't particularly efficient, because hardly anyone will mention the route that the scenario is for, or properly list the dependencies (the add-ons you need). But you can get an idea of compatibility from the pictures and titles, and you can use reasonably smart search terms.... and then hit subscribe for any of the results that look promising. That system isn't all bad - it could be tweaked - but it is okay-ish as it is.

The problem that I then encountered, in the TS2020 UI, was with the "Workshop" tab - which I used to survey the subscriptions that had successfully downloaded from Steam.... and that's where the down arrow nightmare begins... It took me two hours to work out the best way to use the down arrow..., so that I could "unsubscribe" from the stuff that needed you to make additional purchases... so that I could have a clean set of scenarios. I am not even joking.... I still have hours of work ahead of me to go through the list... because each down arrow press takes about a minute to go through all of the insane steps that are required from the user, which all should be happening without any user intervention at all, in literally milliseconds..... It's bugged - viciously. Also - if you let the "unclean" part of the list get too long, then it will time-out the launch of TS2020, and TS2020 then has to be re-installed.... It is utter madness.... Especially since this tab is actually designed as a sort of "marketing tool" to encourage you to buy more add-ons - and I am using the term "marketing" very loosely here..., as it is bordering on coercion, in my humble opinion....

I could explain the bugs in detail and report them - but this is TS2020 on PC - so I expect it to be bugged as hell, and I am more relaxed about fixing it myself - and I have no idea who to report the bugs to anyway, that might actually be interested in doing somethng about fixing them - because as we have seen with the DB BR 155 on TSW on RSN on PS4.... DTG couldn't give a Flying Facebook about sorting out the most vicious bugs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I wasn't meaning to run TSW, although you do need a reasonable PC to do that. I meant for editing once there is an editor out for TSW. The requirements for Unreal Editor 4 are higher than the game itself (which the TSW editor uses) and the recommendation is a good CPU, decent GPU, and at least 16Gb RAM. If you watch the editor video from December 2018 Matt talks about this through the stream.

18. synthetic.angel

Sorry - I knew you were talking about the Editor, even though I went on to talk about TSW, because I haven't seen the Editor for TSW....

And I hate to bang on about this "high powered" concept...... but what are:

"a reasonable PC"
    "a good CPU"
    "a decent GPU"

What do these phrases mean....? Can we get any close to being specific....? I fully accept that there could be variations given the combination of components.... but maybe just giving an indication could be helpful....?

So - for example - I think the 386-16-SX on my 1990s Elonex PC is/was a "good CPU". It provided easily enough processing power to run "Geoff Crammond's Formula 1 Grand Prix", and it was simple enough for one person to have the time to write programs for it using low level code.... A good CPU. Wonderful and friendly it was too....! Will my 386 be powerfull enough to run the Editor for TSW - it is a good CPU, in my opinion.

BTW - I am not complaining here about you at all - it's the general idea that some people use to try to obscure performance problems with badly designed software (TSW) by saying - "Oh yeah - you'll need a suitably powerful computer... yours probably isn't good enough." And if you ask for a spec you get some other deflection like "Oh - yeah - a next generation PC... you know... a good one....".

Or you'll be asked what your specification is, and whatever your specification is.... the thought process is then "Well.... that's not the most powerful PC that has ever been built - so... your PC is probably not powerful enough... and no - of course the software has been designed properly.... and we've tested it as well... oh....what did we test it on... um.... good question.... let's have a look at the spec details... oh... here we are... it's apparently a high-powered PC with a good CPU and a decent GPU.... - that's what it says on the box - honest.... so you'll need to get one of these...."

Question - Does anyone know what the specification required is for a PC that can run the TSW Editor (in beta or not), and deliver a reasonable work flow rate....?

19. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Think the original editor premiere was running on 16gb ram, for the editing and realtime testing of scenarios.