Fixing Class 166

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by sophieclarke1983, Feb 14, 2020.

1. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Fixing the class 166 on gwr be good 1st of all fix Speedo so you can over speed rather than rigid 90 mph as no other train does this also take the dot matrix technology from class 377 and give them working train destination displays

• Like Like x 8
  2. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the sounds on this are absolutely dreadful

• Like Like x 5
  3. sophieclarke1983

Spot on or better still ditch 166 and replace with sprinters far more superior trains

• Like Like x 2
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes especially in passenger mode, it is far too quiet.

Well a Sprinter wouldn't be accurate for this route. A class 165 would have been a better choice as they are more numerous and also there are two and three coach sets.

I wish they would create some DLC for GWE as it is still one of the better looking routes in my opinion but gets boring after a while.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  5. sophieclarke1983

Also opening windows be nice to hear the engines

• Like Like x 2
  6. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Yes this is a must because the TS2020 Class 166 is a pile of sh*t too. Sorry, but it is, granted it’s their first passenger route for TSW back then but it would be nice to see an update; I would tag the DTG devs; fit it in with the DTG flywheel.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, is the 166 on ECW better? (I don't have that DLC yet). Apparently changes were made to it for that route.

8. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

There are no turbos on the East Coastway just the Electrostar (Class 377). The handling of the electrostar is very similar to the turbo as they both have the 3 step braking. Obviously the electrostar accelerates a lot quicker as it’s electric. Personally, I think the electrostar has been simulated very well in TSW and a lot better than the turbo such as sounds, variable unit formations, etc...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I definitely agree the turbo and Great Western route needs to be updated and the East Coastway/Electrostar has a much better feel to it. To be fair, I do think the turbo is a probably more ‘boring’ train anyway because it’s a lot older (from British Rail) so fancy technology like TMS, sounds of dynamic braking/power, fans shutting off when going through a gap in the third rail, potentially SDO in the future and just general the whole cab layout and features and functions are a lot better in the 377. I can’t even explain it but even just the very simple things like the sounds the train makes when you go into ‘Forward’ (the beep sound), setting DRA, releasing doors, sounds and movement of the power brake controller just seem so much more smoother and enjoyable on the 377.

Despite the above, the turbo/GWE could definitely be better than it is. Even without getting technical with the train itself, just simple things like variable unit formation would improve variety as you say. Here are a few ideas:

1. As mentioned on this forum before, you can get 2 car (Class 165/0) and 3 car (Class 165/1 and 166) units so when you have a multiple formation, you can get anything from 2 car to 9 car turbo.

2 car
    3 car
    2 + 2 = 4 car
    2 + 3 = 5 car
    2 + 2 + 2 = 6 car
    2 + 2 + 3 = 7 car
    2 + 3 + 3 = 8 car
    3 + 3 + 3 = 9 car

This means you have to stop at different stop boards which is actually harder than you think. Occasionally, in real life, it does happen where drivers stop at the wrong stop board and release the doors which is a serious operational incident. It is very easy to do. Here’s an example: you are driving a 3 car turbo to Reading; once passengers have alighted, you then couple to another 6 car turbo and so you have 9 car turbo which you are driving back to Paddington; you stop at the 3 car stop board at Twyford and forget that you are a 9 car and your rear X amount of coaches are hanging off the platform :( I think only in the ‘Down the Line’ do you have the option to operate a 6 car turbo.

2. Now that I mentioned it, coupling/uncoupling would also be interesting to do as well so they should have booked services that do this. This would also be interesting because you would come on to the platform on position lights instead of main aspect as this is permissive working (e.g. final signal into Paddington would be red; as you approach it, 2 white lights would appear with platform number) I will add a picture for those that don’t understand this.
    The procedure of coupling/uncoupling is not as boring as you think because there are certain procedures that you need to do which I suspect most people don’t know. E.g. When coupling, the ‘10 foot 6 foot 2 foot’ rule, ‘doing a ‘pull test,’ switching lights to ‘OFF’ etc...

3. London Paddington operates at over 20 trains per hour in each direction so just seeing more traffic and facing more cautionary aspects would make the journey more interesting as well. Perhaps using the Royal Oak Sidings for shunts could work as well.

4. Improvements or rather fixes in the signalling regulation would be very much appreciated. E.g. Flashing yellows, Preliminary Route Indicators working, TPWS Grids on the approach to buffer stops set at 10mph, etc...

As I say, I’ve not even gone into the technical things like having CD/RA indicators, automated bell/buzzer from AI Guard, ATP (Automatic Train Protection), wheelslip/wheelslide in low adhesion, etc... but the above (or certainly the first 2 points) would be very easy to implement and increase variety.
    Come to think of it, the main technical thing that they do need to fix with the turbo is the sounds particularly when inside the cab or coach because it is just completely silent when the train is stationary whereas on the 377s, you can hear the auxiliaries, fans, constant ‘humming’ sound, etc....

EC05ABD3-6675-453F-BC9A-E6288CD73309.jpeg
    Position lights associated with main aspect. In this example, this is the scenario where you are rescuing a failed HST. The final signal into Reading, you get 2 white lights (“cats eyes”) with ‘9’ in the theatre box (platform 9) because there is a train already in the platform so this is called permissive working. Otherwise normally you would just get main aspect and junction indicator (“feather”) if appropriate. Position lights means to proceed at caution and be prepared to stop short of any obstruction.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Oh yes the 166.. what a dufus. I was thinking of the class 66 :)

11. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Olaf the snowman outlined it to the fullest. One thing i am clued up on is stop boards, mistakes happen as it’s normal human behaviour. The 377 is a charm and in tS2020 thanks to AP soundpacks and what have you, also no comparison but its a reason why so many operators love the 377+ class because it’s almost an automatic prius. Simple and easy to drive; who needs complicated anymore!

The only wish; and we all wish is that they switch OFF the flywheel and expand it so you all can see what the 377 can do at 90mph non stop to London

12. sophieclarke1983

The train on east coastway is the class 377 electrostar EMU and yes is way better than the bag of trash class 166 for a start the 377 has opening windows and unlike 166 has working dot matrix destination displays both externally on front rear and sides but also interior in passenger carriages

13. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

it also has actual interior sounds, something the 166 does not, the 166 just has external sounds playing at 50% volume........Im afraid the 166 is terminal, its too far gone and I highly doubt anyone at DTG can be bothered to touch it at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  14. sophieclarke1983

Spot on same old story with DTG classic case of if it’s broke don’t fix it create new dlcs rinse people

• Like Like x 1
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well you can always not buy new DLC, to say you are being "rinsed" is to assume you are a willing participant! They have fixed bugs, like the faulty signalling on ECW so to say they don't fix it is misleading. Of course they might not be fixing it quick enough and indeed some bugs are still unfixed.

16. sophieclarke1983

Definitely the 166 is only fit for scrap

17. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I just think, not to slate at all as TSW is great I just wish DTGs content conveyor belt would slow down and we see what they can really do if they spent a little more time on things.

Allow the partners to create addon routes, and trains. I don’t know it seems very much lack luster at the moment. I rarely play it now as they’ve spoilt it imho

18. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I know its seemingly a difficult situation for TSW creators to talk about. We the user base, really, really could do with some kind of regular dev update/QA or even better, less dismissive responses on official streams, regarding where the editor stands, how they see console TSW going forward, what kind of routes to expect. The no news to report or cant talk about future plans, ignoring certain questions may temper expectation, but used to often it can also undermine confidence, and feed the conspiracy theorists.
    Tsxx - 3rd party creators making routes, disclose what their plans are. That model works pretty soundly and keeps customers interested.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2