Well, This Is Awkward.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Hordriss, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Doing the Down and Out scenario, and hit a 101 sized obstacle on my way to the depot. Not sure if this is a bug, or simply because I was a couple of minutes behind schedule. Or maybe I did something else wrong??

All I know is this rendered the scenario unfinishable!

I wondered why the light wouldn't change to green....

[​IMG]

2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

If you're familiar with Colonel Failure on YouTube, he had the same problem. :D

3. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

I'll be honest I've never heard of him but I will check him out mainly because of his excellent username!

Any idea what the cause of this is?

4. Tonto62

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tonto62

No idea how it happened, it works fine for me. Have a watch and see if you can spot anything. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Thanks, I will watch it ASAP. Must head off to bed now though, it's nearly 1am and I need to be up again at 6.30!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I didn't have a problem with this scenario. It isn't necessarily bugged, as far as I can tell.... The Colonel was over 12 minutes late, and was allowed to enter a reversible road despite the oncoming traffic.

The signalling system isn't quite as robust, in simulation, as it is in reality. I don't know if the TSW system is designed to be inter-locked, or whether signalling events and AI moves just follow a timetable/schedule. I suspect it is the latter - just choreography gone wrong in this case.

However - if the system is actually meant to be inter-locked (in TSW), then it is bugged here. It is possible for this to fail for a number of reasons - say, maybe the trains were on different map tiles, and their positions relative to the track sections did not get communicated in a timely way - causing the permissions to proceed to over-lap. But I doubt that a true inter-lock has actually been programmed into TSW. (I would be very glad to be corrected on this, if I am wrong).

I encountered a similar problem on SFJ (PIC), with the Early Riser scenario, where I was two or three minutes slow getting out of a yard, and I was then confronted by an oncoming train that was allowed onto the mainline from a nearby siding, despite my presence on the mainline. This leads me to believe that the signalling system isn't quite as complex as it might appear at first sight - I think I am saying that there isn't actually any sort of truly reactive signalling system.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tonto62

I think the fact he hadn't gone right down to the buffers leaving the front end of his train outside the signal may have contributed to it as well. The incoming train seemed to be held at a red and Colonel Failure set off despite his signal being red so it would probably have ended up as a stalemate if he hadn't passed at danger. The lateness and position of the train confused the game. Choreography, not interlocking as you say.

9. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

I suspect what happened at least in Colonel failures case was that he entered the bay platform but didn't pass the signal completely so was technically in both the platform at the other block at the same time. The other DMU was probably therefore blocked from entering the station so was correctly held outside the station due to the Colonel's train occupying the block. Also because he hadn't technically past the signal when he left the platform he naturally didn't SPAD because he technically actually passed the signal to SPAD but of course he came up against the other DMU trying to get into the station but was unable to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Ah, I wasn't very close to the buffers at Manchester station either, so maybe the same happened with me.

I'll have to give it another try. I'm getting a bit better with braking on the Class 101, but still a long way from being good with it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tonto62

Use the vacuum gauge on the desk, not the HUD. It's much easier to get a consistent application. Approaching a dead end like that at 10 mph, I think it is there, I'd reduce the vacuum to about 17" about 100 yards out. The speed will come down very slowly and I'd reduce the vacuum to 15" a couple of yards from the buffers to stop. Easier to do than describe!

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Excellent advice. I always position my viewpoint so that the vacuum gauge is visible in the bottom right of the screen, just to the right of the HUD dial and is constantly in view, while I can still have a perfect view out of the front window.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Must admit I'm not sure which one the vacuum gauge is. :D

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are two dials to the right of the controls. The one you need to watch is the left one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Thanks!