Class 387 And Class 800/802

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by UnlimitedMagic, May 28, 2019.

1. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Class 387 is part of the Electrostar family which consists of
    357 375 386 377 378 and 379 trains
    The train is used on GWR services, Gatwick express, great northern and c2c services.
    The first 387 service to enter service on GWR was between Hayes & Harlington to London Paddington
    Then that increased to Maidenhead then to did or parkway
    Since didcot parkway to Oxford hasn’t been electrified they run from London Paddington to didcot
    166 to this day are rare in numbers and run mainly on the high speed rail.They are due to be replaced by this year maybe.
    I think the 166/165’s will be moved to chiltern railways.
    Here are class 387 pics
    upload_2019-5-28_16-54-4.jpeg
    Class 387 172 at London Paddington
    upload_2019-5-28_16-55-36.jpeg
    Class 387 172 departing Ealing Broadway for reading

CLASS 800/802 IET

The train is part of the Hitachi AT300 product family.[7] Train operating companies have also given the train separate brands. On Great Western Railway, they are known as Intercity Express trains IET

In mid-2015, Great Western Railwayannounced that it had secured the procurement of 173 new rail vehicles from Hitachi Rail, with options for another 150.[6]At the time, GWR was beginning the process of introducing a new fleet of intercity trains as part of the Government's Intercity Express Programme.[10] This project involved the procurement of both wholly electric units (Class 801), and "bi-mode" trains (Class 800), powered by electric traction motors capable of running from overhead electric wires or on-board diesel generators. These trains were intended to replace the existing High Speed Trains following the electrification of the Great Western Main Line. However, electrification will only go as far as Bristol Parkway, with the route beyond requiring diesel traction (hence the need to procure trains capable of operating without overhead wires).[11]

The purchase of 173 additional vehicles was with the intention that these new bi-mode trains, similar to the Class 800s, would be used on services into Devon and Cornwall. These trains would consist of 22 five-car and seven nine-car units.[12] The option for a further 150 vehicles would be formed into another 30 five-car units.[6]

Initially, owing to Hitachi's facility at Newton Aycliffe in County Durham being at capacity, the intention was to construct the trains at the Kasado factory in Kudamatsu in Japan. However, following Hitachi's purchase of the Italian train manufacturer AnsaldoBreda, construction was moved to Hitachi's Pistoiaplant,[13] with the first unit being completed in February 2018.[14]

The trains were expected to enter service with GWR from 2018,[12] with the aim of reducing journey times from London to Exeter by up to five minutes, to Plymouth by up to six minutes, and to Penzance by up to 14 minutes.
    upload_2019-5-28_17-4-55.jpeg
    Class 800 at London Paddington

upload_2019-5-28_17-7-3.jpeg

Class 800 at Reading

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 50
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

The class 387 and 800 could be added to replace the class 43.

• Like Like x 9
  3. UnlimitedMagic

Yep and the 166

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Loyalty

Loyalty Well-Known Member

Yesss plz I hope they do this for GWR desperate needs an updated add more services for the Route for back to back trains during Am & Pm RushHours to make the route more busy Full with Train action during those times and holidays as well.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

The main problem with adding more trains is that PCs couldn’t cope. Think Jamaica on LIRR and how there is a very limited amount of trains during the peak.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Loyalty

Loyalty Well-Known Member

I know it sucks ass that’s one of the busiest stations outside of NYC from the city as a commuter Rail Hub that’s where u can exchange to different lines. It’s very empty outta place it need to be more alive full of action.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

The thing is, the Great Western Express is set during the electrification period, so electric trains didn't run at that time...
    What we can hope for is a new version of Great Western Express where the electrification work is complete.

• Like Like x 7
  8. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Or DTG could just update the existing route, somthing was hinted at when they were developing the route originally "The GWR is in the state of rebuilding/renewal and that the TSW version of it would reflect that" or somthing along those lines was said at the time from what I remember.

• Like Like x 6
  9. UnlimitedMagic

They could just add the overhead wires in the rest of the route and add the trains

• Like Like x 8
  10. UnlimitedMagic

No wait they could add 387’s to Hayes & Harlington since at the start of their service they only went to Hayes

• Like Like x 5
  11. Dakota

Dakota Member

However they do it, I just want to vote for modernizing the Great Western Route. I know it's an art to making this content(!!) and a hell of a load of work. I happily would pay for a route/train upgrade.

• Like Like x 4
  12. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I'm not willing to shell out another 30 USD to rebuy an updated version of a previous route. I appreciate the idea though, but I'd rather they give us the 387 or 800/802 on another appropriate route, especially since there are so many more lines to explore in the British Railway network.

• Like Like x 6
  13. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

We have a reskin for the 800 but the train doesn't get to 125 because its using the Class 170 for the diesel sounds - but the gearing hasn't been updated to allow it to run at 125mph.

The class 43 is nice but its so underpowered on the hills between PAington and plymouth

• Like Like x 1
  14. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

No we don't, none of these are in the game?
    Not sure the relevance of Paignton, when the GWR route only goes to Reading, anyway the 43 physics are pretty much spot on IMO

• Like Like x 1
  15. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

For TS2020 not TSW, the Route goes through to Plymouth but Paignton is a branch which does have IEP diagrams, also Truro and Penzance.

• Like Like x 2
  16. jamie0656

jamie0656 New Member

The 387 would be very enjoyable to see, and it wouldnt be that hard since theres already a 377 and all that would have to be done is a reskin, change of interior and a pantograph

• Like Like x 5
  17. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Great idea to add both of these DTG. Just for the record, the Turbos will be cascaded to Bristol area services, not Chiltern.

• Like Like x 2
  18. UnlimitedMagic

Yeah
    I found that out a few months back

• Like Like x 1
  19. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I still hope for the well thought out proposal to extend the GWR mainline - but all we hear is UE4 can’t addon to it’s just disheartening

• Like Like x 2
  20. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Very good idea and lovely trains

• Like Like x 2
  21. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

This has to happen.

• Like Like x 4
  22. A_normal_name

A_normal_name Member

Sadly probably won't

• Like Like x 1
  23. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

I know it won`t, but I`m still Holding out hope - just in case.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Are you having a laugh? Without trying to sound patronising, the HST has been modelled terribly. It’s so disappointing when you see how well other locomotives and traction have been simulated. But to be honest, I’d say the GWE route as a whole is pretty disappointing including the turbos. I’m probably going to make a new thread about it so I’m not going to bore everyone on this thread.

I don’t understand? Is the proposal for a new GWE route but just in modern day so there will be the existing one that will remain unchanged with the HST and turbo and a new GWE route set in modern day with the 387s and 800s? Presumably, it would be £25 as normal for a new route. I hope no one is actually suggesting to modify the existing one by removing HSTs and turbos.

I’m inclined to agree with this. As much as I’m extremely biased with the Great Western Mainline and would love to see any additions to it, I’d be surprised if they redone the route. There are only have 2 modern day routes, the other being the East Coastway. There is still so much of the UK to explore including East Coast Mainline, West Coast Mainline, Southern Mainline, South West Mainline, Midland Mainline, etc... For those that just want to see 387s and 800s and not bothered about the GWR route, there’ll be plenty of opportunity on other routes. The Class 800s now seem to be the new ‘HST’ in the sense that they are now dominating nearly every Intercity route so I’m sure we will see this on another route very soon and the 387s are pretty much identical to the 377s so you’re not missing much.

As I alluded to earlier, it’s such a shame the GWE route doesn’t receive much love as it should because I genuinely think it’s a very beautiful network and the HSTs (and turbos) are fantastic traction but TSW has done a poor job of it probably because it was their first (or one of the first?) routes and it does look like a trend where TSW are getting better with each route. E.g. The East Coastway is a huge step up. What they should really do is update/fix the route for free by fixing the HST, turbo, route, signalling, etc... but I don’t think they are going to bother touching it unfortunately because it’s not worth their time.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

Its basically the same train from eastcoastway all they have do is. Remove the class 166 and put the eastcoastway loco ten put gwr livery on it

• Like Like x 1
  26. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

Exactly

• Like Like x 1
  27. oscarvirgoe

oscarvirgoe Member

Tell you what, a good option is to do the Cornish Mainline, that way we can get the 802s and HSTs, but have a completely different landscape (10x better than London to Reading).

• Like Like x 2
  28. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

it's dtg I wouldn't expect it

• Like Like x 2
  29. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Not to replace to add content to the game.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Olaf the Snowman

100% in agreement. The way some people are posting here sounds like they want the HST and turbo gone and to be replaced by the 800/387. I’d be extremely annoyed if they did that and removed the HST/166. Sure, build a new route for it but don’t mess up the existing one. A couple of points of order...

1. There seems to be a notion that HST/166 are boring and not as fun as the 800/387. The only reason why this may be true is because the HST/166 and the GWE route as a whole has been poorly done and is clearly lacking a lot of love. The HST/166 are phenomenal traction. The HST is a far superior traction than the 800s for drivers and passengers alike. I appreciate that people want the 800s and I would love to have it too but stop this notion that 800s and 387s are going to miraculously rescue the GWE.

2. Some people keep saying replace the 387 with the turbo. Do you even realise that even to this day, turbos still operate out of Paddington? (Saying that, the Covid 19 virus may have temporarily stopped that due to a reduced train service, I need to check). So for all those people saying replace the 387 with the turbo, please think again.

3. I’m happy seeing the GWE with no wires beyond Hayes. I miss the days of the HSTs where you would walk into Paddington station and be welcomed to the sound of 5 or 6 HSTs sat in the station. I miss the days when the GWML was untampered with overhead wires so if they do a forced update where wires are extended, I won’t be happy. Imagine, if we forced the NTP users to a modernised update....

I would much rather see updates to not only fix but to rejuvenate GWE by adding more scenarios and features. It’s an extremely busy network with over 20 trains per hour in each direction which would make it much more lively but I think there are software issues if you have so many trains. If the 800/387 were to come out, it should come on a new GWE route not the existing one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  31. UnlimitedMagic

True Like they could add livery packs and make some services have multiple units so you don’t just have to do Down The Line.
    They could add 2 car 165’s aswell

• Like Like x 1
  32. UnlimitedMagic

Yes but the devs said that the editor is not used to edit routes

• Like Like x 1
  33. matthewhedley

matthewhedley New Member

Good suggestion but on regards to the 800 like Matt said In game the GWR route isn’t fully electrified yet

• Like Like x 1
  34. femmerton

femmerton Member

Here's an idea. If you can switch liveries then why not have the option to switch the routes year.

• Like Like x 1
  35. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Because this is much harder to achieve. For example, you need different levels of completion of the electrification based on whichever year is represented not to mention surrounding area textures like buildings that have been and gone. Far too many variables. You could however, bend reality a little by having older motive power (previously on the route) to expand the gameplay. If this does not appeal to some who prefer absolute realism, then these machines would be simply optional extras. I, as stated many times, would love to drive the older locomotives and stock along this route, in particular a class 52 Western being thrashed. Each to their own but the option could be there.

• Like Like x 2
  36. barrrybeet

barrrybeet New Member

yes good ideal

• Like Like x 1
  37. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Hello, first of all it is nonsense to replace the Turbos and HSTs. Then why did DTG make them in the first place? Some might say they could be used on other routes - thinking - wait the 166 only exists at GWR, how bad. And does this mean everytime a new train arrives DTG should renew the route? No way they have got more important stuff to do. Like adding new routes not to only brining the already existing routes to the actual year - they would then have to do it for all routes then - for those who don't know GWE is placed in 2015 as far as i know. Besides you can easily add the 387 and 80,0/1/2 trains on another railway company > LNER. Well in a thew years the Class 769 will get into service at probably this route section. Should DTG make the route again then? And also replace those boring Class 387? No. But I need to agree that the trains are not good but either not bad. I mean you could still do a lot of improvements to make this route not so boring. So i've come up with some improvements to make this route better. But I would rather prefer adding new local GWR lines in Conrwall, Devon, Bristol etc.

Improvements to make GWE better without really big effort:
    1. Add passenger information systems (plattforms and on 166 destination board - buttons already exist)
    2. Train improvments > More funcional buttons on 166 and 43 or make the engineroom accessible on the 43
    3. More trains > There are more trains on GWE and its kind of is boring to encounter so less trains. But it would be realistic to have more trains especially during rush hours. I know the software can't handle the full schedule of 2015 but at least a few additional services more would be nice.
    4. Add at least 1 or 2 branches.

That's my opinion so far. Cheers.

• Like Like x 5
  38. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Nice proposal, and, as an American, I can say those trains are in deed very stylish and sleek (I’m mainly talking about the class 800), as for the class 387, not bad, DTG could just rebuild the 377 into a GWR livery, and having these trains in TSW is a good idea! :)

• Like Like x 1
  39. UnlimitedMagic

And if you guys want a 387 just get ECW. The 377 is practically the same thing. Just a different interior and lower speeds than the 387. And tell me guys would you want a 387 on GWE or a 387 on BML where there are more loco opportunities

• Like Like x 1
  40. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

Keep the 43 but add the 800 aswell

• Like Like x 1
  41. UnlimitedMagic

So the 2018/early 2019 period

• Like Like x 1
  42. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

And not forgetting to improve on the class 166 speed it’s the only train in whole of tsw that’s unrealistic in sense it cannot go above the 90 mph max speed unrealistic given every other train goes above it’s so called maximum speed

• Like Like x 1
  43. djhawtin1

90 Is Its lts Max Speed

• Like Like x 2
  44. Olaf the Snowman

You’ve missed her point. It’s the maximum operating speed but that doesn’t mean that it can’t go faster if you really wanted to. For example, the HST has a maximum operating speed of 125mph yet the record for the HST is 148mph which is also the world record for a diesel train even to this day. I take her point- you’re able to over speed on the HST (and most other traction) but how come not on the turbo? In real life, unless there is something to prevent over speeding such as a speed limiter or speed supervision system, you’re able to over speed. (I’m sure some old British Rail drivers will happily give you stories of over-speeding on a regular basis: Class 442s doing 125mph or how about the exclusive 140mph club at Paddington :D)

If you really want realism, you’ll want Automatic Train Protection (ATP) and then you can forget about over-speeding :cool:

The sound issue is what really puts me off the turbo- it’s far too quiet and completely silent when you’re stopped. It could be easily fixed if they allow you to open the cab window. Also being able to have the cab door open on the HST on the move would be a lot of fun particularly with a valenta engine. For some reason on the first routes/traction they made, they had it set that you’re unable to open/have the cab door on the move. They changed it for the newer routes/traction but haven’t bothered changing it for the old routes/traction. Why on earth you’re able to have the cab door open on the Class 377 which would be usually impossible in real life (as can not obtain interlock to release brakes) but cannot have the cab door open on a HST is disappointing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  45. djhawtin1

442s Can Go 125 MPH no wonder Gatwick Express Got Them Briefly To Replace The 460s lol

• Like Like x 2
  46. 2008bmw525d

2008bmw525d Member

Yes much likely to be a new route now as the coming of TSW2. Hope they would consider doing a route with both Class 800 and 387 - and with the support of longer route, probably the Class 800 would be used in routes with multiple stops (instead of just 2 stops in GWE).

47. djhawtin1

Extend GWE To Banbury And Bristol Temple Meads

48. UnlimitedMagic

Bristol is too far

And they won’t do anything with GWE since TSW 2 will come out

49. djhawtin1

New Route Exclusively for TSW 2 Also Bristol (in my opinion) isn't really that far nor Banbury, Plus Peninsula Corridor is 47 Miles so compared it isn't really :)

50. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

The Electrostars and Class 800 would be nice to see on GWR, but I doubt they’d ever make them for it since TSW 2 is on the way.

• Like Like x 2